2024 NASCAR

wdwfan4ver

Superstar Racing Experience announced Bobby Labonte as one of the drivers. Bobby Labonte was the first ever NASCAR driver in the modern era to win a Busch series championship and a cup championship. He was the 1991 Busch series champion and the 2000 cup series champion. He won 21 times in the cup series. He is inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Terry and Bobby Labonte were the first brothers in the cup series to win a championship each.

I remembered Bobby Labonte a couple years ago raced in a NASCAR racing series in Europe.

I remembered him in his prime back in the mid 1990s to the early 2000s. Bobby Labonte to me was one of the masters of Atlanta Motor Speedway. Bobby also was a very good intermediate track driver and Pocono driver. Bobby won 3 big races on the cup schedule. He won the 1995 Coca-cola 600, 2000 Brickyard 400 and the 2000 Southern 500.

I think his prime was somewhat hurt by racing for Joe Gibbs when it was a since car team from 1995 to 1998. Around 1996-1997, there was an increase of multi-car teams and it hurt single car teams.

wdwfan4ver

Former NASCAR driver Justin Marks has announced that he's forming a cup team in NASCAR with the planning of starting to run as early as 2021. He is called the race team Trackhouse.

It mentioned that the race team will have a unique cause-marketing focus around promoting STEM education. He in talks with different teams for getting a charter and strike an alliance to buy cars.

What is known is Justin Marks was one of the people/ teams that tried to outbid Spire Motorsports for Leavine Family racing team assets. The other known bidder against Spire Motorsports was Kaulig racing because they want to start a cup program.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I saw the last half hour or so of the road race. Not a fan. Daytona is a super speedway which makes it exciting, and I prefer they just keep it that way, and not reconfigure the infield to a road race course. What do others think of the race last weekend?

wdwfan4ver

I saw the last half hour or so of the road race. Not a fan. Daytona is a super speedway which makes it exciting, and I prefer they just keep it that way, and not reconfigure the infield to a road race course. What do others think of the race last weekend?
I am not big on the race itself. I saw some of it.

I understand NASCAR did it too the infield because they didn't want 3 Super speedway points races at Daytona due to the cost for the teams. Chase Elliott winning is not a shock since he is one of the best road course drivers NASCAR has currently.

wdwfan4ver

It was announced that Helio Castroneves will be joining Superstar Racing Experience.

I am very familiar with Helio Castroneves.

Helio's background was in CART and Indycar. In recent years, he has been racing in sports cars and he already won this year.

He was the driver that made climbing the fences popular after winning a race and was known as Spider-man.

Helio has been called the best Indycar driver that never won an Indycar Championship. He won a combined 30 races and 51 poles in CART and Indycar combined. He also won the Indy 500 3 times.

artvandelay

It was announced that Helio Castroneves will be joining Superstar Racing Experience.

I am very familiar with Helio Castroneves.

Helio's background was in CART and Indycar. In recent years, he has been racing in sports cars and he already won this year.

He was the driver that made climbing the fences popular after winning a race and was known as Spider-man.

Helio has been called the best Indycar driver that never won an Indycar Championship. He won a combined 30 races and 51 poles in CART and Indycar combined. He also won the Indy 500 3 times.
I’m looking forward to SRX.

wdwfan4ver

Spire Motorsports mentioned they want to select only 1 driver for each team next year unlike this year and last year.

It sounds like they want Justin Haley and Ross Chastain as the 2 full time drivers.

wdwfan4ver

There is something to keep an eye on with Hendrick Motorsports and the 24 car. I am referring to the Liberty sponsorship and what is going with that college.

The current president of the college was doing family vacations on Rick Hendrick's yacht after the university including the pictures that resulted in a scandal. The Liberty sponsorship is through 2021.

Lilofan

There is something to keep an eye on with Hendrick Motorsports and the 24 car. I am referring to the Liberty sponsorship and what is going with that college.

The current president of the college was doing family vacations on Rick Hendrick's yacht after the university including the pictures that resulted in a scandal. The Liberty sponsorship is through 2021.
Yachts seem to be taboo for high ranking officials. Gary Hart running for President years ago got busted on the yacht "Monkey Business ".

wdwfan4ver

I'm giving my thoughts on the 16 drivers that starting the playoffs.

Matt Dibendetto this year is either going to be out the first or 2nd round driver. Darlington, Richmond, and Bristol are not bad tracks for him in the first round. I don't like the 2nd round for him. Charlotte roval could be a good track, but T

Kurt Busch is starting at 15th in points, but he's better than some of the drivers higher than him in points starting the playoffs. Kurt should get out of the 1st round this year, and might be out in the 3rd round. Kurt only has 4 top 5's, but he's a steady driver.

Kyle Busch is having a down year and could out anywhere from the 1st to the 3rd round.

Clint Bowyer's finishing average is better than last year slightly, but the numbers are done in top 5, and top 10's. Don't be shocked if he's out of the playoffs after one round.

wdwfan4ver

Aric Almirola to me is very likely 2 or 3rd round elimination. He does have a career high in top 5's with 5 and is only 3 top 10's away from tying a career high. The only way for him to get a 4th round is winning.

Austin Dillon has a chance to make to the 2nd round due to the tracks coming up with them being Darlington, Bristol, and Richmond. The only way for Austin to get to round 3 is a win at Talladega. Of the veteran drivers in the playoffs, Austin has the worst road course record by far.

Cole Custer is 1 round and driver this year. He is a rookie and struggled a lot this year and only got in due to his Kentucky win.

William Byron is anywhere from round 1 to round 3 elimination driver. He had his only top 5's in the last 2 weeks including his first points win. He does have 9 top 10's. He has been hurt by not having the normal qualifying format before covid-19.

William won the Daytona Duel this year. People think part of William's problem is Chad Knaus seems to have better days as a crew chief. He's solid driver and is know to lead at pack racing tracks.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
William won the Daytona Duel this year. People think part of William's problem is Chad Knaus seems to have better days as a crew chief. He's solid driver and is know to lead at pack racing tracks.

What's wrong with Chad Knaus? I was always under the impression that he was a very good crew chief. (I also read that he is the only NASCAR crew chief to win 5 consecutive championships.

wdwfan4ver

What's wrong with Chad Knaus? I was always under the impression that he was a very good crew chief. (I also read that he is the only NASCAR crew chief to win 5 consecutive championships.
Great Crew chiefs before Chad had lose it along the way also. No crew chief can stay at their peak forever. NASCAR and the cars have evolved. That in return means old race setups do not work like they used.

There has been evidence of this with Chad. Jimmie Johnson at times this was more faster with Cliff Daniels than he was with Chad in his final season. What happened with Jimmie and Chad is the driver was on the decline, but the crew chief is was starting slip also.

The other proof is what happened at Kansas this year. Chad was suspended, but Byron and substitute crew chief immediately meshed with being the closest threat to a win this year in a points race before Talladega.

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR has announced a modification with starting lineup calculation. Owner's finishing position is now part of the starting lineup calculation.

Here is the formula now for determining the starting lineup: 15 percent of a fastest lap time starting position, 25 percent of the driver's final race finishing position, 25 percent of the owner's final race finishing position, and 35 percent of the owner's points position.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom