2020-Gaming discussion

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was getting those in my browser. I was in a work meeting and just happened to check the app on my phone and was able to pre-order there.
I had multiple tabs spread across 3 monitors for the retailers doing presales. MS was simply the one that completed first. None of the others (Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart or Amazon) got past even putting the thing into the cart.

Underdog

IF those job listings were accurate and Nvidia was looking to implement DLSS on it's Tegra line, Nintendo could continue to be great shape to compete.

Then it would be back to the same question about Nintendo's offering - Will third parties support the console?

Voxel

President of Progress City
Then it would be back to the same question about Nintendo's offering - Will third parties support the console?
If they keep the same/similar format, I believe they will.. Nitendo as a sole tabletop system would probably struggle to sucessed with massive changes to how it approaches things. But it becomes harder to predict with things like DLSS and RDNA2. The nintendo platform could take more work because things like DLSS are not instant. But you could use the textures/models from the New Generations to help train the DLSS model. (And that process probably can become more automated over time).

There is alot of things that could happen.

Underdog

I'm having flashbacks to PS5 preorders.. Too soon.

Seems like both retailers for both consoles had similar issues. Nothing for any of them to be proud of, really. You would think some of them would know would have environments to spin up the needed resources to meet demand.

Voxel

President of Progress City
FTFY ;)

On the plus side, online order frustration tends to be non-violent. I remember when people would riot over Tickle Me Elmo or Cabbage Patch dolls

Atleast that was more fun and I could get my aggression out on the person next to me and no one would notice. JK JK i perfer this online only option, it fits my never go outside lifestyle.

erasure fan1

I think MS is determined to 'not lose' as bad this time around but also make moves for the future too. The next 1-3-5 years will be interestin
Microsoft wants the states for sure. They did it with the 360 so the road map is there. If they can be even in Europe, they'll be happy. Japan will be a big loss as always but that's where a sega would come into play. While I'm not sold on next gen yet, I am looking forward to all thisp laying out.
IF those job listings were accurate and Nvidia was looking to implement DLSS on it's Tegra line, Nintendo could continue to be great shape to compete.
Yea, the switch needs something. I know people love it, but I hardly use it except for the nes and snes virtual consoles. Maybe better power gets more developers on board.

Underdog

Started playing the Avengers game yesterday and man, it's a ton of fun. Such a great story and Kamala Khan is just a great character for this story. Gameplay is really fun. Anyone else playing it?
I am and I agree. The work they did for Kamala (story and voice acting) are excellent. Overall, I’m enjoying the campaign and kind of slow playing it to savor it. I’ve read on some forums that the other elements aren’t as fulfilling, but I’ll make my own decision about them.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I am and I agree. The work they did for Kamala (story and voice acting) are excellent. Overall, I’m enjoying the campaign and kind of slow playing it to savor it. I’ve read on some forums that the other elements aren’t as fulfilling, but I’ll make my own decision about them.

I have heard that the online elements aren't as good. I'm okay with that. That takes time to get right (hello, Destiny) and I can enjoy the campaign and enjoy the good parts of the online experience while they finish the rest and make updates. The team behind it is good (they did the first two games in the Tomb Raider reboot which are phenomenal) and this is just outside of their comfort zone, but I'm sure they'll figure it out.

erasure fan1

Started playing the Avengers game yesterday and man, it's a ton of fun. Such a great story and Kamala Khan is just a great character for this story. Gameplay is really fun. Anyone else playing it?
After the bad first showing of the game, and then the nonsense spider-man exclusivity, I'll wait until it goes down in price. I don't mind spider-man being exclusive to sony but at least do like soul caliber. They gave Yoda to one and Darth to the other. Don't just say the heck with one platform and expect that platform to support you.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
After the bad first showing of the game, and then the nonsense spider-man exclusivity, I'll wait until it goes down in price. I don't mind spider-man being exclusive to sony but at least do like soul caliber. They gave Yoda to one and Darth to the other. Don't just say the heck with one platform and expect that platform to support you.
There definitely seems to be an increase in console wars right now, which I'm surprised by actually considering everything. I imagine it will be down to $30 for Black Friday.

Underdog

Personally, it was the demo that got me into the game and I thought a lot of the 'hot takes' on the demo release were just that.

Is it perfect? No. So far, IMO, you can see the money that was spent on the game in the how the campaign is designed and put together. I do think they limited the scope of the story on this one to introduce different versions. I can see an 'infinity war' type, online, multiplayer 'raids' coming down the road. If done right, these could be very popular and fun. However, I have not even attempted online multiplayer yet. If that's where you will spend a bulk of your time, I have no recommendation to give yet.

They do seem to have created a 'acceptable' way for gamers to start small, buying one 'Battle Pass' and keep earning credits towards future ones.

Exclusivity complaints are going to be the new norm, especially with Microsoft trying to come back. I'm pretty sure Sony leaned into SE because of Insomniac's Spiderman, which I understand. But, is there another Marvel sup that is his equal in popularity? Wolverine? I guess we should all be prepared for this new 'normal'... in gaming.

Mike S

Call me old school but a game should be made great from day 1 and then update from there. I don’t accept the excuse of half measures just because there will be updates unless maybe the game is free to play. You only get one shot at a first impression and from the sounds of most of what I heard it was a resounding meh. All they had to do was a big single player campaign with more than basic recycled missions and robot enemies but instead they wanted to do a multiplayer looter and live service. Blech. I’d take a full HD remake of Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction over what I’ve seen. Heck, I’m more interested in Fortnite’s current Marvel themed season more than I am the official Avengers game.

erasure fan1

Exclusivity complaints are going to be the new norm, especially with Microsoft trying to come back. I'm pretty sure Sony leaned into SE because of Insomniac's Spiderman, which I understand.
Exclusivity is always a complaint, especially if you are on the wrong end of it. But there are ways to do it that minimize problems. Make spider-man exclusive, sure thing. But if you are going to make it free, than give the other platform another hero. Or the smart thing, make it a paid DLC. That way the other side says, well that's cool they can get spider-man, but at least we get the same game for the same money. Less content, for the same cost, just kind of chapped my bum.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
For anyone who might have CBS All Access (I've also heard it might be on Amazon?), they have a documentary called Console Wars (based on the book of the same name), detailing the war between Sega and Nintendo in the early 90s. Definitely recommend you check it out!

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Has anyone had any luck grabbing a 3080.. I just gave up and purchased an EVGA 2070 super and gonna request a step-up to the 3080.

3080 are impossible too many people botting. I can see the new consoles being the same for awhile because of stupid ebay scalpers.
I wonder how Sony responds to this.

Only thing I can think of is to buy Square Enix. Elder Scrolls is huge, if it becomes Microsoft exclusive I think that could be a serious blow to PS5 sales unless they have something like Final Fantasy which sells good here but amazing in Japan. I know at one time SE was in serious financial problems but their Final Fantasy MMO became uber profitable and carried them through but if they were available Sony should look into it.

I mean seriously, Bethesda owns a lot of studios, Microsoft getting them all why the hell would they not make them all exclusive? I can see titles going to PC but how can Microsoft not be tempted to have say Elder Scrolls 6 be on the new Xbox exclusive for a year before the PC port?

Is this good or bad? I guess we will see. My fear is Microsoft becomes another EA and takes what they want and packs away the rest.

Underdog

Only thing I can think of is to buy Square Enix. Elder Scrolls is huge, if it becomes Microsoft exclusive I think that could be a serious blow to PS5 sales unless they have something like Final Fantasy which sells good here but amazing in Japan. I know at one time SE was in serious financial problems but their Final Fantasy MMO became uber profitable and carried them through but if they were available Sony should look into it.

I mean seriously, Bethesda owns a lot of studios, Microsoft getting them all why the hell would they not make them all exclusive? I can see titles going to PC but how can Microsoft not be tempted to have say Elder Scrolls 6 be on the new Xbox exclusive for a year before the PC port?

Is this good or bad? I guess we will see. My fear is Microsoft becomes another EA and takes what they want and packs away the rest.
Can Sony afford SE? We know Microsoft has the funds to do something like that.

Microsoft will allow any existing agreements for third party platforms but, that's why they bought them, to keep them on their platform. I do think some titles will be on PCs though.

I also think the comparison to EA is something to watch out for. I don't think MS has 'killed' any studios like EA has (yet?) but that is something to watch out for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom