2020-Gaming discussion

The_Jobu

He's going to outright reject any opinion you have about the gaming media so best to just move on.

True.

So this ps5 is coming out, but Sony has been discretely censoring games. Not games I'd ever buy, but I dont like censorship on principle. So I was thinking of making the switch to PC, but I dont want to give up physical in this day and age.

Should I go Nintendo? Or perhaps Microsoft?

Conundrums.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True.

So this ps5 is coming out, but Sony has been discretely censoring games. Not games I'd ever buy, but I dont like censorship on principle. So I was thinking of making the switch to PC, but I dont want to give up physical in this day and age.

Should I go Nintendo? Or perhaps Microsoft?

Conundrums.
I am an Xbox guy so that will always be my recommendation, but switching game ecosystems is never easy. If Sony has the exclusives you want you pretty much have to suck it up and deal with it.

The_Jobu

I am an Xbox guy so that will always be my recommendation, but switching game ecosystems is never easy. If Sony has the exclusives you want you pretty much have to suck it up and deal with it.

True, very true.

Thinking forward though, I cant see any Sony exclusives I care about that I dont already own. So I might go xbox. Then again, Nintendo has been adding a lot of mature games to their system. I dunno, it's tough. Not that I was going to rush out and buy a ps5 anyway, just thinking out loud.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True, very true.

Thinking forward though, I cant see any Sony exclusives I care about that I dont already own. So I might go xbox. Then again, Nintendo has been adding a lot of mature games to their system. I dunno, it's tough. Not that I was going to rush out and buy a ps5 anyway, just thinking out loud.
I have always sen Nintendo as a bit of a different animal. If you like the "Nintendo" family of games then you have to get it, but I have never cared for it when playing a AAA game that crosses all platforms as the PS and Xbox just have so much more raw power.

The Xbox Elite controller is also a damn fine piece of hardware.

erasure fan1

I would rephrase this. I can think of some EXCELLENT outlets for Video Game Journalism but they don't review the actual products, they discuss the technology implementaions and playability of the game. One amazing example is Digital Foundry.
Game reviews have always been problematic in my eyes. Video games are so subjective that it makes a review near impossible. So while in my eyes video game reviews are worthless, it's not because of bad journalism/journalists. It's just the nature of the beast. I can name tons of games that in my eyes didn't deserve 9s and 10s. And I can name tons of games that deserved better than a 5 or 6.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Finished The Last of Us 2 earlier today (Saturday) and absolutely loved it. Such a powerful game and while there's never a 'happy' point in the game where you feel hopeful, it is so impactful and riveting.

The_Jobu

Game reviews have always been problematic in my eyes. Video games are so subjective that it makes a review near impossible. So while in my eyes video game reviews are worthless, it's not because of bad journalism/journalists. It's just the nature of the beast. I can name tons of games that in my eyes didn't deserve 9s and 10s. And I can name tons of games that deserved better than a 5 or 6.

It's also becoming difficult to find reviewers who aren't completely swayed by politics irrelevant to the games' content.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It's also becoming difficult to find reviewers who aren't completely swayed by politics irrelevant to the games' content.

I feel like the only genuine game reviewer out there is the AVGN. Yeah he's in character while he's reviewing the game (and most of them are older games) but he plays from start to finish and isnt swayed by money to give a good score.

The_Jobu

I feel like the only genuine game reviewer out there is the AVGN. Yeah he's in character while he's reviewing the game (and most of them are older games) but he plays from start to finish and isnt swayed by money to give a good score.

Definitely. It's not universal, you can still find some good reviewers out there if you look. I trust Upper Echelon Gaming, he maintains fierce neutrality.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
The best game reviewer in my opinion is you.

Wait for the game, get hyped and if you need to look around and see what people are saying without spoilers. Get the game and decide for yourself what you think of it.

Hell, then make a few clips of gameplay, write out a review, combine them and put your own review on Youtube.

Play games because you want to, not because of reviews. If I actually listened to reviews I never would have got Battleftont 2, and that game is an absolute masterpiece that puts a lot of these current 10 out of 10 games to shame shame.

Mike S

The best game reviewer in my opinion is you.

Wait for the game, get hyped and if you need to look around and see what people are saying without spoilers. Get the game and decide for yourself what you think of it.

Hell, then make a few clips of gameplay, write out a review, combine them and put your own review on Youtube.

Play games because you want to, not because of reviews. If I actually listened to reviews I never would have got Battleftont 2, and that game is an absolute masterpiece that puts a lot of these current 10 out of 10 games to shame shame.
That game was made better in response to the feedback though. Naturally those initial reviews don’t apply anymore.

Tony Perkis

Finished The Last of Us 2 earlier today (Saturday) and absolutely loved it. Such a powerful game and while there's never a 'happy' point in the game where you feel hopeful, it is so impactful and riveting.
I’m on Seattle day 2 with Abby, and it’s a masterpiece so far.

Most people who whined about the leaks and review bombed Metacritic have a massive egg on their faces.

The_Jobu

Most people who whined about the leaks and review bombed Metacritic have a massive egg on their faces.

Ha. I don't think that's the current sentiment going around. Looks like it's the reviewers who look bad to a lot of people. Agree to disagre I suppose. Glad you enjoy the game though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom