2020-Gaming discussion

Joesixtoe

I don't mind longer games. I like getting lost in a witcher 3 length game. My 2 big annoyances are, extreme difficulty and extreme grinding. It just isn't fun anymore. But I can wander around a compelling world for a hundred hours just doing random side quests and exploring.
I agree the extreme difficulty and extreme grinding are to much. I do like long games, I think I ment more of the difficulty and grinding aspects. When I like a game, I don't want it to end.

erasure fan1

Seriously, screw EA.

Yes, EA is nothing but a stain on the video game industry. They have been a joke for a very long time now. I put a lot of the blame on the star wars games debacle square on Disney though. EAs track record was well set before Disney gave the exclusivity to them. Anyone with half of a brain could see how EA handles things and the track record they have. But for some reason, most likely money, Disney handed over the most desirable license to the least creative, money and micro transaction and online first, studios. Having been playing video games since my ti99 4a computer, this star wars agreement is one of the biggest disappointments in my video game history.

erasure fan1

Anyone else looking at what the Avengers game is like and just thinking to themselves “would it have been so hard to just make a game that’s a great singular story and not try to cram in every live service feature possible?”
I agree. But if you think we had too much of that in this current gen. I think this next gen is going to be a lot worse. That is what is the most profitable for the studios. And fans seem to keep playing and spending. I think big franchises will start to see the traditional release go away. Microsoft has already hinted at this with Forza and Halo. The funny part is great single player games still sell. And still sell extremely well. Unfortunately micro transactions are just a lot easier to make a buck with than solid single player content.

Mike S

I agree. But if you think we had too much of that in this current gen. I think this next gen is going to be a lot worse. That is what is the most profitable for the studios. And fans seem to keep playing and spending. I think big franchises will start to see the traditional release go away. Microsoft has already hinted at this with Forza and Halo. The funny part is great single player games still sell. And still sell extremely well. Unfortunately micro transactions are just a lot easier to make a buck with than solid single player content.
Eventually they’ll realize not everyone has the time to sink into many different live service games and that’s it’s still beneficial to release many singular games.

Hopefully.

Screamface

Eventually they’ll realize not everyone has the time to sink into many different live service games and that’s it’s still beneficial to release many singular games.

Hopefully.

Not just EA but it gets ridiculous with some games. They seem designed around having the ability to play an hour or two or more every day to stay competitive. A minority of players can do this, if you work a job and want to jump on for 30 mins when you get home. You're severely disadvantaged.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not just EA but it gets ridiculous with some games. They seem designed around having the ability to play an hour or two or more every day to stay competitive. A minority of players can do this, if you work a job and want to jump on for 30 mins when you get home. You're severely disadvantaged.
This is one of the reasons I still stick to single-player games. About the only urgency I have when it comes to gaming are the special events in Borderlands.

Mike S

Just got finished watching this. The review part is good and all, but the proposed rewrite is just fantastic. This guy has serious talent.

The_Jobu

For the record, I was going to teach about Yuri in September anyway, but now it looks like I'm bandwagoning. Thanks COD.

The_Jobu

I love the Arkham series of games

They really were unique and innovative. Great story, acting, gameplay, designs. Cant ask for much more.

I still remember getting the platinum for Asylum, hard work but satisfying. I only try to plat games I really love.

erasure fan1

Hopefully.
I don't really see it changing. I don't think single player games ever go away but I think the online games as service model is just to enticing for the studios. I wouldn't be surprised if this new Gotham Knights game uses the games as service model. The real problem in my opinion is studios don't understand balance. I have no real issue with games like elder scrolls online. But you've decided to ignore a new single player game in favor of the service model. Now I get they announced 6, but it is still years away at best. And as of now its been 9yrs since skyrim. The funny part is every platform they re-release skyrim on, sells, at FULL PRICE. Proving people want that single player experience and are willing to pay for it.
I love the Arkham series of games
Yes, it is one of the best series in the last couple generations. I put way too much time into all of them. I just hope the new ones coming don't forget what made them so great. I will be so disappointed if they go the games as service route.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom