News 2018 ticket price increases

WhatJaneSays

The important thing missing from that chart is that Robert A. Iger took over on 10/01/2004...

Now look at the data again. Past managers always proceeded with increases with caution - valuing a core clientele.

This guy is more like tim Robbins from Austin powers: "let me launch just one nuke...I've got them out the ying yang"
See I feel that the data doesn't reflect that. Looking at the 9 price increases under Iger before the MK tickets split off, January 2005 to June 2012, compared to the 9 directly before him, February 1996 to March 2004, the actual difference between the average price increases is a just less that 1%. Accounting for the MK ticket split and the seasons split and increasing the range to 14 increase periods in either direction, the difference only raises to about 1.4% on average higher rate on the more recent range.

Save for the change from the by park tickets to the by season tickets, the rate and amount of the ticket increases tend to fall in a very predictable pattern.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The important thing missing from that chart is that Robert A. Iger took over on 10/01/2004...

Now look at the data again. Past managers always proceeded with increases with caution - valuing a core clientele.

This guy is more like tim Robbins from Austin powers: "let me launch just one nuke...I've got them out the ying yang"

Ticket price changes since Iger became CEO:

1-Day: $47.25 - 79%
7-Day PH: $262 - 117% (Changed in 2005 to expire with the MYW changes)
Annual Pass: $384 - 97% (Now the Platinum Pass)
Premium Annual Pass: $354 - 69% (Now the Platinum Plus Pass)

(Calculations were made based on ticket prices when Iger became CEO - March-13-2005 - compared with today's ticket prices, so after the January 2, 2005 price increase.)

I'd LOVE to revisit this in, say, 2 years, after SW:GE opens, and see where things are. :geek:

disnyfan89

Ticket price changes since Iger became CEO:

1-Day: $47.25 - 79%
7-Day PH: $262 - 117% (Changed in 2005 to expire with the MYW changes)
Annual Pass: $384 - 97% (Now the Platinum Pass)
Premium Annual Pass: $354 - 69% (Now the Platinum Plus Pass)

(Calculations were made based on ticket prices when Iger became CEO - March-13-2005 - compared with today's ticket prices, so after the January 2, 2005 price increase.)

I'd LOVE to revisit this in, say, 2 years, after SW:GE opens, and see where things are. :geek:

Can you also calculate from when Eisner took over to Iger taking over?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Step into Disney's shoes and try to put a number on what the 'that's just too expensive' amount would be for a 4-day park ticket. Would 90% of the current guests pay $1,000 for a 4-day park ticket? Probably. Would 50% of the guests pay $300 per day? Probably.

People have the mentality of being relieved if the price only goes up by 5% each year. No one cancels because of it. Attendance has never been higher. What percentage of Star Wars fans would not go if the difference to get into DHS in 2020 was $250/day instead of say $130/day? 15% or less?

We have seen price increases the last 10 years that would cripple most businesses. Small things, late night experiences, morning experiences, backstage this, hard ticket there, etc., its the perfect storm of factors. In 2 years ESPN will have been losing subscribers long enough that Wall Street is going to want Disney to provide another profit hero. Star Wars Land, even in a vacuum inside of the WDW bubble, is going to push prices to the point of insanity. Everyone will pay though. Tours for the land will sell out almost immediately at whatever price point it is. The same way WDW is the dream trip for kids, SWL will be the dream trip for adults with disposable incomes. No price will be too much.

Disagree know a lot of people with 6 figure incomes and they are writing Disney off as 'too expensive for what you get'

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Can you also calculate from when Eisner took over to Iger taking over?

I can, but it's not an apples-to-apples comparison by any stretch of the imagination. On a straight dollar basis:

A single day ticket rose $41.75 in price under Eisner, over the span of 20 years.
A single day ticket has risen $47.25 in price under Iger, over the span of 12 years.

Please keep in mind that Eisner added two entire theme parks. Iger has added two lands thus far - NFL and Avatar - and two more set to open in the next few years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See I feel that the data doesn't reflect that. Looking at the 9 price increases under Iger before the MK tickets split off, January 2005 to June 2012, compared to the 9 directly before him, February 1996 to March 2004, the actual difference between the average price increases is a just less that 1%. Accounting for the MK ticket split and the seasons split and increasing the range to 14 increase periods in either direction, the difference only raises to about 1.4% on average higher rate on the more recent range.

Save for the change from the by park tickets to the by season tickets, the rate and amount of the ticket increases tend to fall in a very predictable pattern.

Right...but that's a moving target....as the numbers compound.

A 1% increase in a $40 ticket is less of an impact on a 1% increase on an $80 or $120 ticket...and it feeds the beast.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If that doesn't look bad enough, let's talk ride count and capacity. :D I'll bow my head out.

Including the closures under iger? I.e. River country and wonders of life and the MGM shutdowns prior to the construction?

And NFL wasnt really an addition except for mine train and Belle's Cafeteria

ParentsOf4

This chart shows how WDW ticket prices have performed against household income since 1990. Up to about 2000, the two tracked fairly closely. Since 2000, income growth has slowed while ticket price increases have accelerated a bit.

WDW Ticket Prices.jpg

JoeCamel

This chart shows how WDW ticket prices have performed against household income since 1990. Up to about 2000, the two tracked fairly closely. Since 2000, income growth has slowed while ticket price increases have accelerated a bit.

View attachment 259429
Do you need me to write a note to your boss and get you some time for the full analysis of the 2017 year? I'd be happy to....;):cool::joyfull:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 259429

Coincidentally...2000 is also the point in time where I say that the "value"...which is price+experience+variety of attractions/options was the highest in the history of wdw...and by the housing recession had fallen to the comparative lowest.

...been looking at this for a long time. The chart kinda goes right to it. Coulda saved myself some time :(

rael ramone

My pass expires in March I believe, but I cant renew it say next week etc its too early right?

Depending on how you use said pass, it could be cheaper to let it expire, be 'pass free' in between trips, then once you can buy a voucher for a new pass that can be activated once first used. (That's how I used to use AP's, get 2 trips per pass, then allow a full year to pass before activating a new one).

rael ramone

I'm actually thinking about buying tickets now to sit on until the 50th, I'm that worried what the cost will be by then.

I believe, as of the last 'price increase', an unused voucher that hasn't been activated in a certain period of time has to be 'upgraded' by paying the difference between what you paid and what that pass costs when you go to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom