• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Friday August 23, 2019

Our next panel was called Making Walls Talk: Disney Historical Sites and Museums in Conversations at the Archives stage. This panel ended up being about the Walt Disney Family Museum, Walt's Birthplace, Marceline Museum, and the Carolwood Foundation it was hosted by Brett Iwan who is the current voice of Mickey Mouse. It was very interesting.
IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_9949.JPG

After that panel we went into the National Geographic exhibit, there was no line, and when we got inside we saw why. It was basically a room with projections to make us be "under the sea". We did a couple pictures and then headed out.
IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_9952.JPG

Then we went to the Disney Voluntears area. We learned there how Disney has a program that it is starting to launch into children's hospitals to make the rooms and the patient experience more friendly. This is some of the artwork planned to put in the hospitals. The art work was super cool. And this is just a sampling.
IMG_9953.JPG

IMG_9955.JPG

IMG_9956.JPG

IMG_9961.JPG

At the end of the experience, we helped pack a couple bags with goodies for children in hospitals.
IMG_9963.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Advertisement
Friday August 23, 2019

A few more pictures of the art work.
IMG_9957.JPG

IMG_9959.JPG

IMG_9345.JPG

IMG_9348.JPG

This was the big Disney+ showcase and sign up area. We were in line to check out the Marvel stuff and do the video/photo opportunity, and after that we went and signed up for Disney+. And signed up a few of our friends who weren't coming to Expo but wanted in on the deal that was being offered to Expo attendees.
IMG_9351.JPG

IMG_9355.JPG

After signing up for Disney+ it was almost time for the parade, so we decided to take a seat and watch. It was fun to see the characters in their 70's gear.
IMG_9357.JPG

IMG_9359.JPG

IMG_9361.JPG

IMG_9364.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Friday August 23, 2019

A couple more pictures of the parade.IMG_4374.JPG

Some celebs, I think they were Dancing with the Stars related, in the parade.
IMG_4385.JPG

As we waited for the parade we did see Carl
IMG_4373.JPG

A look at some of the costumes from the Lady and the Tramp movie on Disney+
IMG_9970.JPG

After the parade we didn't have another panel scheduled but we had thought of going to a few. In the end we decided to wait in line for Bill Rogers, the voice announcer of Disneyland, so he could record our incoming voicemail message. What can I say, we (I) am a nerd. There were already a lot of people in line but we made the cut, with plenty of people behind us too. We waited by the Center Stage area and while we waited Brett Iwan, Ashley Eckstein, Camille Dixon (voice announcer of California Adventure & Bill Roger's wife) and Bill Rogers came on stage to do a little Best of the Expo show, so at least we had something to watch while we waited.

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

During the show Brett talked about the a special piece of art work he had done for the Expo. It was pretty cool. I took a picture of the actual thing on display later in the Expo.
IMG_9980.JPG

Eventually it was our turn for our voice messages to get recorded. The messages are pretty awesome. When we walked away we called each others phones and had some of our friends call our phones to hear our rad new message.
IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG.

Oh yeah, and while we were waiting, these two were in front of us and they were kind enough to let us take their picture in the awesome costumes.
IMG_9366.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Friday August 23, 2019

Expo was wrapping up for us for the day. It had been a fantastic day! Yes, even with the chaos in the beginning of the day. After we had our moment with Bill Rogers Brad and I headed over to bag check to get our bags we had dropped off earlier in the day. We had plans to meet up with a friend of ours we had met on a Disney cruise a few years ago and we were really looking forward to it. It turns out she was picking up her bags at bag check too! She is the one who picked up the Dapper Dan funko pops for Brad.

Another of Brett Iwan's Mickey drawings, I like the National Park theme of this one.
IMG_9981.JPG

A couple selfies at some photo ops.
IMG_9985.JPG

IMG_9997.JPG

My Bill Rogers autograph on the back of the card that had some info about me so he could craft my phone message.
IMG_9978.JPG

So we all walked back to the Candy Cane to drop off bags and head to Downtown Disney together. All three of us decided to take Candy Cane's shuttle to Disneyland and I will say the shuttle ride was so fun. It seemed like everyone on the shuttle had just come from the Expo and we were all chatting away about the day.

Dinner with our friend was fun too, it was great catching up with her. We had dinner at Naples and I was glad we had a reservation because it was packed! On the way there we passed Jon Favreau, it was my first celebrity sighting in the Disney wild. I never look around for them, but I heard our friend gasp as she saw him so that's how I noticed. It was so quick there wasn't any time for a picture, even as a walk by. I really wish I could have gotten a picture because he was wearing the same D23 shirt as me! I guess I am just as fashionable as a celebrity.

None of us had really eaten anything of substance all day so we were famished! Apparently only Brad remembered to take a picture of his food. He got the pizza. Naples pizza is almost (probably completely) the same as Via Napoli because it is owned by the same company.
IMG_9370.JPG

I got the lasagna. I got this picture from the internet. It was good, it needed a bit more garlic and salt though. I wished I had gotten the pizza too.

Our friend got the chicken parm, again a picture scammed from the internet. She enjoyed it.

I also ordered these cheese filled fried bread things, picture also compliments of an internet stranger. These were delicious!!!

So we ended up having a great meal but called it a night fairly early. B and I thought about going into the park for at least a train ride, but we had another early morning so we headed back to the Candy Cane. It was a fun but exhausting Expo day.

Coming up soon: Day two of the Expo! Will there be more chaos?

krisri18

Friday August 23, 2019

Expo was wrapping up for us for the day. It had been a fantastic day! Yes, even with the chaos in the beginning of the day. After we had our moment with Bill Rogers Brad and I headed over to bag check to get our bags we had dropped off earlier in the day. We had plans to meet up with a friend of ours we had met on a Disney cruise a few years ago and we were really looking forward to it. It turns out she was picking up her bags at bag check too! She is the one who picked up the Dapper Dan funko pops for Brad.

Another of Brett Iwan's Mickey drawings, I like the National Park theme of this one.
View attachment 424103

A couple selfies at some photo ops.
View attachment 424100

View attachment 424104

My Bill Rogers autograph on the back of the card that had some info about me so he could craft my phone message.
View attachment 424102

So we all walked back to the Candy Cane to drop off bags and head to Downtown Disney together. All three of us decided to take Candy Cane's shuttle to Disneyland and I will say the shuttle ride was so fun. It seemed like everyone on the shuttle had just come from the Expo and we were all chatting away about the day.

Dinner with our friend was fun too, it was great catching up with her. We had dinner at Naples and I was glad we had a reservation because it was packed! On the way there we passed Jon Favreau, it was my first celebrity sighting in the Disney wild. I never look around for them, but I heard our friend gasp as she saw him so that's how I noticed. It was so quick there wasn't any time for a picture, even as a walk by. I really wish I could have gotten a picture because he was wearing the same D23 shirt as me! I guess I am just as fashionable as a celebrity.

None of us had really eaten anything of substance all day so we were famished! Apparently only Brad remembered to take a picture of his food. He got the pizza. Naples pizza is almost (probably completely) the same as Via Napoli because it is owned by the same company.
View attachment 424101

I got the lasagna. I got this picture from the internet. It was good, it needed a bit more garlic and salt though. I wished I had gotten the pizza too.
View attachment 424108

Our friend got the chicken parm, again a picture scammed from the internet. She enjoyed it.
View attachment 424109

I also ordered these cheese filled fried bread things, picture also compliments of an internet stranger. These were delicious!!!
View attachment 424110

So we ended up having a great meal but called it a night fairly early. B and I thought about going into the park for at least a train ride, but we had another early morning so we headed back to the Candy Cane. It was a fun but exhausting Expo day.

Coming up soon: Day two of the Expo! Will there be more chaos?
You saw Pete?!?!
giphy.gif

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 25, 2019

We didn't get up quite as early today but we were through security at the Convention Center and in the basement area by about 5am. We saw a few people in chairs today but there were less of them. Supposedly they were allowed for people with medical conditions like back and knee issues. While I would have been more comfortable in the chair I'd brought, we aren't the type of people to lie about things like that to get an advantage or game the system. We had our towels and blankets so the floor worked out okay for us.

Our goal this morning was to see some of the show floor stuff that we hadn't seen before our first panel. Everyone was wondering how the entry would be handled this morning. Would there be chaos? Fights? A running of the Disnerds? About an hour before opening we were moved upstairs by the show floor doors. Brad took this cool shot when he went to use the facilities.
IMG_9373.JPG

IMG_9374.JPG

Waiting.....and reading a 25 cent book from the library sale.
IMG_9376.JPG

Then we were told to stand up shortly before the doors opened. I guess I was excited. We were also told...."NO RUNNING! Be civilized, no pushing shoving. (and my favorite being a middle school teacher....) KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF AND OFF OF OTHERS! and again NO RUNNING!
IMG_9377.JPG

And the doors were open and 5...4...3...2...1 GO! Of course there were some idiots that ran. But we followed the rules and walked. We also kept our hands to ourselves. Even though there were some runners, there weren't as many and it wasn't a stampede like the previous day.
IMG_0014.JPG

Our first stop was the Disney Broadway exhibit for the virtual reality experience. That was really cool, it really was like we were on stage with the performers.
IMG_0015.JPG

Then we wandered around and checked out the little art displays for Mickey's 90th and some other areas. All the crowds were going to one of the three main stores on the show floor so we weren't among many people for quite awhile. It was almost leisurely!
IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_9383.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 24, 2019

A little bit more of the Honda Autopia exhibit. Then we saw that the line for the Dream store was fairly short, the cast member said it was about a 20 minute wait. We hadn't planned to go to the Dream store but we figured the wait wasn't too bad and got in line. Soon after we got in line the line suddenly got mobbed with people, so we had great timing!

IMG_4398.JPGIMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

The line moved a lot so it wasn't as bad as it looked.
IMG_0040.JPG

Some of the merch
IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Outside the Dream store was an art booth and it was selling Brett Iwan's special Mickey painting for D23 Expo. I wish I had bought a print of it, but at least I have this picture.
IMG_0049.JPG

Next up: our first panel of the day.....barely

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 24, 2019

So we head over to the D23 Arena to get in the line for the Haunted Mansion panel. And so did every one else. It was a mess. There was a huge mash of people at the D23 gold line and the workers were saying that was full but people were still trying to push their way into the line. We decided to go standby. So Brad and I got in the standby line. So about 10 minutes before the panel was supposed to start the gold line was partially cleared and about another 5 minutes later the people with the stage pass were starting to be taken into the arena. We also noticed a lot of people skipping past the stage pass check point and going in with that line. Argh. We decided to play by the rules and stayed in stand by. It was looking like we would not be allowed in. But 15 minutes AFTER the panel started we were let in and were seated in the upper level and notice many, many empty seats and rows not only upstairs but in the lower area too. We (and other people we talked to) couldn't figure out why they started to seat people so late and so slowly. It was irritating. But it looks like we didn't miss much we saw the tail end of the first part of the show which was a guy showing some of the "tricks" of the Haunted Mansion. That didn't interest us too much.
The rest of the panel was good and had interesting information. They showed a clip of Jungle Cruise skippers tour of the Haunted Mansion, which was later released online, and it was hilarious! If you haven't seen it check it out on youtube.
Here's a link

And some pictures from the panel
IMG_4418.JPG
IMG_4420.JPG
IMG_4423.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG
IMG_4428.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Sorry for the blurr, we were upstairs and far away from the stage. These two ladies were painting Haunted Mansion stuff to sell and I think money went to a charity but I can't remember which. Maybe it was for CalArts scholarships.
IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

Then the panel ended with a dramatic reading of X. Atencio's granddaughter (in the middle), the parasol laddy, and Deadly (?) from the Muppets of X's original script.
IMG_4448.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 24, 2019

It was around lunch time and both of us wanted some real food so we decided to check out the food truck area outside the convention center. There were a lot of trucks to pick from we picked a hot dog/bratwurst truck because it sounded good and it was one of the short lines. The food was good, we thought we were getting a special ketchup with the tots but it turns out we didn't order it. We thought it came with the tots because it was listed together but it was a separate charge. Oh well, they were still good with plain ketchup.

IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_9420.JPG

IMG_9421.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

Inside touring the show floor again
IMG_0073.JPG

Princess Party!
IMG_0075.JPGIMG_0076.JPG

Soon we were going to the Immersive Worlds panel, but we had some time to kill so upstairs there was a room with Avatar stuff. It was interesting to see the display but the room was dim, there were benches, and peaceful instrumental music. It was a nice relaxing place to hang out.
IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 24, 2019

A few more pictures of the Avatar/Pandora area.
IMG_4466.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4469.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

Next panel....Immersive Worlds. It was Imagineers talking about designing stuff at the parks. It was hosted by Joe Rhode. I beleive this was jeffrey Epstein introducing the panel
IMG_4474.JPG

Go, go, go Joe!

IMG_4478.JPGIMG_4480.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

The panel overall was interesting and I'm glad I went but it seemed like the imagineers kept repeating the same thing so (shocker) I got a little bored. It is like when I hear a sermon in church that is not my husbands' (he actually keeps his sermons short about 5-7 minutes and includes humor) the topic is interesting but if they start droning on and repeating themselves I get bored.

MinnieM123

What a great trip so far. Glad you got some photos of Joe Rhode as well. Is this the first time you've seen him (I can't recall from previous D23 trips you went on). I would love to see him in person, and listen to what he had to say.

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
What a great trip so far. Glad you got some photos of Joe Rhode as well. Is this the first time you've seen him (I can't recall from previous D23 trips you went on). I would love to see him in person, and listen to what he had to say.
I was the first time I'd heard Joe Rhode in person. He was interesting and I think hearing him do a lecture on his own would be more interesting than I found this panel. I think he reigned himself in because he was the moderator so he had to make sure everyone had their say. Rhode spent a lot of time talking about Pandora and Aulani and I would have like to hear more about Animal Kingdom in general. Scott Trowbridge, the main Imganineer on Galaxy's Edge was there too, and it was interesting hearing a little more about that too.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 24, 2019

After the Immersive Worlds panel we wandered the show floor again for awhile and went back to the Park exhibit.
IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

Then we headed to our last panel of the day, again at the D23 Arena. It was more civilized than the Haunted Mansion panel. We had show passes but there was room in the D23 Gold member line, since they got in first we got in the Gold member line.
IMG_0090.JPG

The panel was about the music of Aladdin and we didn't really know what to expect. But we both like Aladdin and the music so we were looking forward to it. It turned out to be our favorite panel of the whole Expo! It was fabulous!
IMG_4488.JPG

Blurry, but there was a sign language interpreter. Sometimes they are fun to watch, especially when they get into the program they are interpreting. I think it would be a fun job, but kind of hard too.
IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4495.JPG

At the start a storyteller came out...
IMG_4497.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Original Poster
Saturday August 24, 2019

More from the AWESOME Aladdin panel! Then Scott Weinger, the voice of the original animated Aladdin and Steve from Full House, came out. I think I squeeed a little because I remember Brad looking at me and laughing. I immediately sent a picture to my friend who is a super Full House fan and she was super jealous.
IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

Then the panel started with the Prince Ali song and it was spectacular a lot of dancers on stage and in the crowd.
IMG_4502.JPG

(sorry for the blurry pictures, but it gives the idea of what went on)
IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4506.JPG

And Scott came back out as "Prince Ali"!
IMG_4508.JPG
IMG_4509.JPG

There may have even been a joke at some point by him about dressing this way on the WDW Full House episode.
IMG_4510.JPG

Again a blurry picture, but it was Scott and Brad Kane, he was the singing voice for Aladdin. The blurry pictures may have been part me (excitement of the show), camera, and the fact that we really weren't supposed to be taking pictures and one of the ushers kept coming around when he saw people picture taking so I was trying not to be yelled at (and I wasn't).
IMG_4514.JPG

Top Bottom