Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday June 16, 2019

For the first part of our trip we were staying in the Burbank/Glendale area. Brad had never done any of the sightseeing in Hollywood/LA before so that was supposed to be the first part of our trip with Disneyland at the end. Although when I decided to get a reservation for Galaxy's Edge I scrapped one LA day for that. It also meant cancelling our tour I had booked for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at CalTech, but Brad was cool with that because...Star Wars!

Anyway, about a year ago when I was looking into this idea for a trip I stumbled on a house rental that looked cool and had been part of the Betty Davis estate. The cottage we booked had been her caretakers home I believe. As I said it looked neat and had a cool history. It also had a good price and was comparable to decent hotels in the Glendale/Burbank area. We both liked the idea of a house as our base on this leg of the trip so I booked it and we both loved it. The cottage was cute, the place was really clean, and the owner had it outfitted with nice amenities. It also had a pool and a hot tub which we never got around to using.

IMG_8306.JPG

IMG_8307.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG

Inside our cottage
IMG_8302.JPG

IMG_8301.JPG

The only drawback was the bed, it was a queen and had one side next to the wall. We are used to a king and having both sides open. With one side against the bed this meant one of us would need to crawl in and out if one of us needed to get up in the middle of the night. Any guesses on who got the wall side?
IMG_8303.JPG

We did have neighbors right outside our door. They were great neighbors though. We had horses!
IMG_8309.JPG

Griffin
IMG_8304.JPG

Sweet Summer
IMG_8305.JPG

After we checked out our digs for a couple of days we realized how hungry we were, it was after 7pm current time but after 9pm our home time so we looked at the list the owner had left us but we wanted something quick and classically Californian. Where did we go? Yep, In-n-Out Burger! There was one about 5 minutes away and it was delicious. We both got double doubles animal style and fries.
IMG_8314.JPG

We went to bed early that night because we were planning on getting up early. We had an 8 am reservation for Galaxy's Edge!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019: Disneyland and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

As you know we were staying in Glendale so that was about a 45 minute drive or so to Disneyland our plan was to leave early to beat LA traffic and get near the front of the turnstiles at Disneyland. Well, with the time change it was easy to wake up early and early it was. We were headed out the door a little after 4 am. Yep, early maybe too early but we are both people that are always early places. (The exception is when we travel with our families, or some of our friends, they are always late....)

So the goal of beating LA traffic was definitely accomplished, it was easy breezy on that freeway. The majority of traffic was semi trucks. As we neared closer to Disneyland it was clear that we would be at the Mickey and Friends parking ramp well before it opened. So we revised the plan, we would drive past the Mickey and Friends ramp and then go to either the IHOP or Denny's on Harbor for some breakfast. Well, the drive by didn't happen because the route we drove took us directly into the ramp and there was really no turnaround. And we were not the first ones there and waiting, there was one other car. So at 4:40 am we decided to wait until the ramp opened. Shortly after we parked at the gate we saw a cast member in one of the booths so Brad went over and asked what time the ramp opened. I thought it would be 5:30 am but they would open at 5 am, so really we only had 20 minutes of waiting.

I let Brad put on Star Wars music while we were waiting.
IMG_6457.JPG

By the time the ramp opened there were about 10 other cars waiting. So we parked and from the top of the ramp we got view of SWGE.
IMG_6460.JPG

The tram area was fairly empty, which was good because Brad had to go back up to the car to get his sunglasses.
IMG_8321.JPG

On the tram.
IMG_6461.JPG

We found where the check in spot was and took nerdy pictures with the sign.
IMG_8322.JPG

IMG_8323.JPG

As you can see we weren't the first in line but we were near the front.
IMG_6463.JPG

Then the gates opened and we were in, well at least into Disneyland at 6 am. Upon entering the park we were led to the Launch Bay in Tomorrowland to get our wristbands. Actually this process was very smooth.
IMG_6464.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

Then we grabbed some breakfast at the Galactic Grill and stood in the gathering mass of people over by the subs until they would lead us to SWGE. It was a long wait but we were near the front of the group and we chatted with some people nearby.
IMG_8326.JPG

As it got closer to 8 am the anticipation in the crowd was rising and Brad and even I was getting more excited.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

The time finally came and we were all led through Fantasyland to the Big Thunder Entrance. This was the entrance B had taken the most pictures of, posed the most in front of, and had tested the door the most times. So we were both pretty pumped to be taken in this entrance for the first time.

Brad had a couple of goals for SWGE this trip but they didn't have to be done today because he knew we would be back and this wouldn't be our only day. Today the main goals were to ride the Falcon a couple times, try some of the food, enjoy the atmosphere, do some shopping, and go to Oga's Cantina. B wanted to make a droid at some point too but he was cool with it not being today. He had already decided that he would not be building a light saber at all in Disneyland's SWGE he plans to save that for WDW; he wants to save some of the special experiences for WDW.

Anyway, here we go to enter the land....
IMG_8329.JPG

IMG_8330.JPG

We stayed to the right of the crowd as I had read that upon entering the land the Oga's Cantina line forms to the right and Savi's to the left. And this is how it worked and actually the cast members/citizens of Batuu had this routine down and the lines formed quick and orderly.
IMG_8331.JPG

IMG_8332.JPG

IMG_8334.JPG

IMG_8335.JPG
IMG_6469.JPG

IMG_6481.JPG
IMG_8339.JPG

IMG_8346.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

Just a look around while we waited to get into the Cantina. We only had about a 10 minute wait until we got to go inside the Cantina. We had a stand up table with a good view of the whole bar and DJ Rex.
IMG_1609.JPG

The card we were issued to get into the Cantina. Everyone had to have one in order to get in.
IMG_1611.JPG

Entering the Cantina
IMG_8348.JPG

The atmosphere inside was really fun and DJ Rex was awesome. Both of us want to get a clean copy of the music in there.
IMG_8353.JPG

The Skyhopper (kiwi) and the White Wampa ale.
IMG_8355.JPG

Bezpin Fizz and the Fuzzy Ton Ton (the ton ton foam makes your mouth numb I suggest asking for a straw so you can taste the drink too)
Nothing like drinking multiple alcoholic drinks before 8:30 am!
IMG_8357.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

IMG_6506.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

Some more pictures of inside the Cantina. Since we were drinking we did get the Mustafarian Lava Roll (a cinnamon roll, with a little citrus glaze and crushed Oreos). It was fine, it would have been better warmed up.
IMG_6510.JPG

Another look at the drinks.
IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

Coming up soon: exploring more of SWGE for the first time!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The Cantina looked like so much FUN!! Love the interior designs. :cool:

By the way, what a great selection to go with the cottage -- your own private space. Hotels are nice and all, but sometimes it's more relaxing if you find alternative accomodations -- particularly with some old Hollywood reference (Betty Davis' estate)!! :jawdrop::happy: I mean, how many people can that say they stayed there -- bragging rights! :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Cantina looked like so much FUN!! Love the interior designs. :cool:

By the way, what a great selection to go with the cottage -- your own private space. Hotels are nice and all, but sometimes it's more relaxing if you find alternative accomodations -- particularly with some old Hollywood reference (Betty Davis' estate)!! :jawdrop::happy: I mean, how many people can that say they stayed there -- bragging rights! :)

Yeah, have the privacy of the house was really nice. It will be something I look into again in the future for non-Disney vacations.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

It was time to leave the Cantina and see more of the land. As we exited the Cantina we knew we were going to head over to Smuggler's Run and as we turned the corner we both gasped as we caught sight of the Falcon. That is when I saw Brad get a little misty (no actual tears though). It is very impressive to see full size, we both have seen models of it including some that were used in the movies but seeing it life sized was super cool. The wait time for the ride was posted at 30 minutes but it seemed a little less and it was fun checking out the queue.
IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_8362.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

Inside the queue
IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

A view outside from the queue
IMG_1669.JPG

I spy an unusual mountain in the distance. In the middle you can see the mountain spires of Big Thunder Mt. After riding Big Thunder so often and trying to get a peek into SWGE it was neat to get a peek the other way.
IMG_1673.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

Time to ride the Falcon. For this ride we were both engineers. I know that the engineer job has gotten a lot of flack for being lame, but to be honest we liked it. It was our first ride though, but even on later flights we didn't mind it, it is interactive and we were both able to see the green light in our peripheral vision enough to press the button and still look at the screen. So I don't really buy into people's arguments that as an engineer you can't watch the ride at all. And being the gunner just seemed boring, if you leave it on automatic there is only one button to press. We also got to be pilots and that is the best job, but if I can't be pilot I'd rather be the engineer than a gunner. Anyway, here are some pictures on board.
IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_8379.JPG

IMG_8383.JPG

IMG_8384.JPG

IMG_8387.JPG

IMG_8388.JPG

IMG_8392.JPG

IMG_8393.JPG

IMG_8397.JPG

And exiting
IMG_8400.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

After getting a ride on Smuggler's we decided to explore the land a little so here are some pictures from around the land.
IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6616.JPG

IMG_6619.JPG

We tried the blue milk. It was just ok, it was tasty enough but I probably wouldn't get it again. To me it tasty like a thick berry slushie.
IMG_8408.JPG

In the single rider staircase.
IMG_8409.JPG

This time I was a gunner. On this ride I had the gunner card as you can see and as a single rider I was put with a family of five. So when we went into the cockpit the family seemed a little surprised that I was there and as I sat in the gunner's seat the dad turned to me and said I was in the wrong seat. I knew that it was the gunner's seat so I told him that I had a gunner's card and this was a gunner's seat. With that I buckled my seat belt and sat back. I think he wanted to argue but he just said well maybe there were 3 gunner cards to his wife. And I thought "um no, your wife had an engineer card in her had at boarding." Whatever, I put him out of my mind and enjoyed the ride.
IMG_8411.JPG

IMG_8417.JPG

After our single rider experience we went through the full queue together. At job assignment time we were given the engineer position again. But then the mom of the family in front of us asked if we had been pilots yet. We said no just gunner and engineer. She said that her family had ridden all the positions a few times and they would be willing to let us be pilots if we wanted. WOW! Thanks lady! So that is how we got to be pilots. Brad sat in Chewy's spot and I got Han's spot. It was fun and we did a decent job flying the Falcon.
IMG_8423.JPG

A droid in the land.
IMG_1697.JPG

Kylo's ship but no Kylo. We hadn't seen any of the walk around characters yet except for a few stormtroppers on top of the buildings when we first entered the land.
IMG_1700.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

Next we went into Dok Ondor's Den of Antiquities (I probably spelled that wrong, and I'm okay with that) and looked around. It had some cool stuff in there and interesting easter eggs like the Arc from Indiana Jones.
IMG_6626.JPG

IMG_6627.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

The ceiling was beautiful.
IMG_1722.JPG

It's the ark!
IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

I guess these were kyber crystal things, but the box reminded me of a tesseract from Marvel movies.
IMG_1730.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

We had lunch at Docking Bay 7. We got the chicken and the ribs. The ribs were good and the chicken was fine. It wasn't very crispy and needed some salt.
IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_6685.JPG

Then back to the Marketplace and the toy shop had some really cute stuff.
IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

It looked like this Darth toy was doing the robot dance.
IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

Droid Tracks
IMG_1814.JPG

And speaking of droids...the line looked pretty long for the build a droid so Brad decided to wait until we came back the following week. But we did peek inside.

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

And lots of droids outside the shop.
IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

An entrance to the land. That reminded us that our time would be ending soon so we decided to ride the Falcon again a few more times. We were engineers again, which was fine.
IMG_1830.JPG

After riding the Falcon again a few more times, it was around noon the end time of our reservation. And we honestly meant to leave fairly promptly but Brad (and I) were having fun taking in the details and the atmosphere. We ended up staying another hour and a half. We had planned to leave at noon and head to a botanical garden near our rental house but we wanted to ride Hyperspace Mt and Big Thunder before we left Disneyland and we figured that by the time we got to the garden we just wouldn't do it justice. So we lingered in the land. We didn't attempt to do the ride again or droid building. But we did check out the shops again and then we just sat in the land and enjoyed the atmosphere. It was during that time we were able to see Rey, Kylo, and Chewy (including Chewy fixing one of the ship). We also found an area that was playing a "radio" broadcast with some of the music from the Cantina. So we did feel a little guilty about staying but no one was fighting over the spot we were sitting in either.
IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

We went on Big Thunder and then Hyperspace Mt and did some castle shots before heading over to DCA. We felt we needed to ride Big Thunder as a tribute to all the times we rode and craned our necks to see what we could of SWGE. As we waited to board we noticed this plaque as a tribute to a past attraction, cool
IMG_1852.JPG

It was nice to see the castle again after two trips of it under tarps we appreciated the work that had been done.
IMG_8442.JPG

We rode Hyperspace Mt because it fit the Star Wars theme of the day.
IMG_8446.JPG

And of course checked out some merch at Star Traders.
IMG_8449.JPG

Then since Soarin' Over California was back at California Adventure I really wanted to go on this. We did and it was just as WONDERFUL as I remembered. I loved that orange smell.
IMG_1854.JPG

We decided to have dinner at LaBrea. Neither of us had eaten there before and we were very pleased with our meal there. I had a grilled cheese short rib sandwich and he got a steak sandwich. It was tasty and a nice way to decompress from the excitement of the day.
IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

Then we checked out the World of Disney and didn't end up buying anything but I really like the displays.
IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday June 17, 2019

A few more displays inside the World of Disney and outside. I thought the deconstructed topiaries were interesting. Then we headed to the tram and headed back to Glendale for the rest of the night. Once back at the house we had a little issue parking. The lot at the house wasn't big and while we were angling into a spot another resident must not have looked before pressing the gate button and the gate started to close on our rental car! Yikes! It left a little scratch and nothing major thank goodness. And it was the only parking issue of the trip.
IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

So as you may have been able to surmise, we loved SWGE. We aren't typically people who look for things to dislike but we try not to be pixie dusters either. So we enjoyed the land, the ride, and the whole experience. We, well mostly me, think that the food leaves a lot of room for improvement but the drinks were all good. We were looking forward to seeing it again in about a week!

Coming up: Brad and Amy go Hollywood!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
You guys had a blast there!! Love the photos -- excellent theming throughout. :happy:

This time I was a gunner. On this ride I had the gunner card as you can see and as a single rider I was put with a family of five. So when we went into the cockpit the family seemed a little surprised that I was there and as I sat in the gunner's seat the dad turned to me and said I was in the wrong seat. I knew that it was the gunner's seat so I told him that I had a gunner's card and this was a gunner's seat. With that I buckled my seat belt and sat back. I think he wanted to argue but he just said well maybe there were 3 gunner cards to his wife. And I thought "um no, your wife had an engineer card in her had at boarding." Whatever, I put him out of my mind and enjoyed the ride.

People can be such a trip at times. It would never even cross my mind to tell a non-family park guest, that they were in the wrong seat??!! What the heck is the matter with people? :facepalm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom