Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
LIES! Security always takes a minimum of 30 minutes at least at MSP... (at least for me!)

I definitely would have paid for that upgrade to the bigger seats too I think.... flying that long, it's more important to be comfy!

Yes the upgrade in seat is worth the moola. I think our security wait was so short because we arrived so late in the day and we were flying out of terminal 2 which is a little smaller. Although there are a couple times we have been through security in about 15 minutes. One time it was about five and the line said 30 minutes, the moment we got in line a TSAagent approached us and the other couple behind us and lead us off to a new line they opened.

Rista1313

Yes the upgrade in seat is worth the moola. I think our security wait was so short because we arrived so late in the day and we were flying out of terminal 2 which is a little smaller. Although there are a couple times we have been through security in about 15 minutes. One time it was about five and the line said 30 minutes, the moment we got in line a TSAagent approached us and the other couple behind us and lead us off to a new line they opened.

Oh yeah, I've never been in/out of Terminal 2. I usually take the direct Delta flight from here to there. So always Terminal 1.

Songbird76

Both castles are very pretty decorated for Christmas, right now I can't decide which I like better. Although a month ago I was leaning to DL. There used to be garland on Main Street at WDW, I have pictures from it from (I think) 2009. The garland was really nice but there are different decorations in WDW now.

I think I have seen snack shirts on Etsy or maybe tee-public. Maybe I'll have to check them out again.
Oh, I love the main street decs at WDW.....but I don't remember ever seeing anything like that on the castle itself, and that's what strikes me about the DL castle. Not only are the lights done up like icicles, but it also has the wreath and the garlands and it's just more...Christmasy, where WDW is more Winter Wonderland.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along. How much was your Uber from the airport? We are heading to DL in October and I am debating on a rental car.

Our Uber cost was: for an Uber XL both ways, we went with an XL because of our bags.
From LAX to Anaheim: $79.49
From Anaheim to LAX: $110.81 (it was super busy because it was the end of the holiday weekend so the rate was more.)

We have rented a car before when we were planning to do more than just Disneyland. But when we only go to Disneyland it isn't worth the hassle of the car. We have also hired a car service (Lansky) before and liked them a lot. They do offer a grocery stop (if your flight is before 10 pm) but are a bit more expensive than Uber.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along.
We're doing a West coast trip in 2020 (including Disneyland) so looking forward to this report. I'm sure we will get lots of tips while reading.

I hope you will enjoy yourself when you go and I hope I can give you some good tips. If you have questions while planning I'd love to help out.

I'm following! Love the night time pics of a Christmas layered DL!

Thanks! I'm glad you are following along.:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday November 21, 2018

Even though we had a late night with travel and everything we were ready to get up early this morning because we were going to Disneyland! Yeah! We were staying at the Best Western Park Place and they offer breakfast. It is just a basic breakfast but it fills us up until we need a Disney snack after working hard having fun!

Disneyland is so beautiful this morning.
IMG_5846.JPG

Eagerly waiting for the gates to open.
IMG_8775.JPG

And we are in!
IMG_8776.JPG

The turnstiles opened about 15 minutes before official opening so we had a little time to wander around Town Square.
IMG_8778.JPG

And met up with Mickey and wished him a belated birthday!
IMG_8781.JPG

Our first rides were Alice (no pictures) and then Dumbo.
IMG_8783.JPG

Then we headed to the Matterhorn.
IMG_8786.JPG
IMG_8788.JPG

Brad hates spinning rides, but since I assured him that the teacups in DL don't spin as fast as the ones in the Magic Kingdom he decided to give them a whirl. He had his own cup and he survived. He agreed that they didn't spin that bad and he might ride again (spoiler he did.)
IMG_8792.JPG
IMG_8793.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday November 21 2018

Next was a journey on the Storybook Canal Boats, we think it is a cute little ride. And for some reason it is a must do for Brad.
IMG_8795.JPG
IMG_8804.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG

Then time for a wild ride with Mr. Toad.
IMG_5855.JPG

We then walked the Big Thunder Trail and saw this cool stagecoach.
IMG_4313.JPG

Brad knew that Galaxy's Edge is beyond this wall and was trying unsuccessfully to get in.
IMG_8816.JPG

But we did get a glimpse while riding Big Thunder Mt.
IMG_8817.JPG

It was time to see the other Christmas overlay. I know that some people don't care for the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay, saying it ruins the spirit of the Haunted Mansion, but whatever. It is fun to see the overlay and have something different and I'm not even a fan of the Nightmare movie.
IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5867.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster

The finale of Haunted Holiday has Oogie Boogie which for some reason I think it kind of cool.

IMG_5922.JPG

Time for a snack. We went for the peppermint beignets. They were lovely, just a light peppermint taste. It was nice to take a moment and relax with my coffee, a snack, and overlook the Rivers of America.
IMG_5931.JPG

On our last trip to Disneyland the train was closed so we were eager to see it since the refurbishment. It was interesting to see the changes. The train was fantastic before and still is.
IMG_8841.JPG

We got off the train at Tomorrowland and checked out the main shop there before going on Space Mountain.
IMG_8852.JPG

Then we wandered back to the hub and Main Street....
IMG_8857.JPG
IMG_8864.JPG
IMG_8867.JPG

And it was time to check out the Dapper Dans! Brad was in heaven watching them. I was very entertained as well.
IMG_8873.JPG
IMG_8874.JPG

We also had a fun magic shot while we were bumming around.
IMG_4436.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster

After the Dans we wandered around Town Square a little more before heading to the Blue Bayou for our lunch. We had booked the Fantasmic package. Lunch was good, it isn't our favorite restaurant at Disneyland but we do like the seating area (and the seat cushion) that comes with this restaurant's dining package. We also never get a seat at the water, nor do we want to wait extra for one. Luckily we are usually seated fairly close to the water.

Us and the tree
IMG_4442.JPG

Town Square looking beautiful.
IMG_5939.JPG

A close up of the tree
IMG_8888.JPG

I was really digging these planters. I thought they were very festive and very Disney.
IMG_8895.JPG

At the Blue Bayou
IMG_5943.JPG
IMG_5944.JPG

The gumbo.
IMG_5945.JPG

We both got steak. There are some potatoes or something under there.
IMG_5946.JPG

And the sorcerer dessert, a chocolate mousse type of thing.
IMG_5947.JPG

After lunch we headed out to take a nap. With the late night and early morning we needed to recharge our batteries physically and our phone batteries too!
IMG_5950.JPG

Coming up: Christmas Fantasy parade!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That's a great photo of the Walt and Mickey statue with the castle in the background.

Your food pictures are making me hungry! :hungry:

I got a kick out of your themed t-shirts. I particularly liked the one with the Santa hat on Mickey (that Brad wore). :joyfull:

The Haunted Mansion photos were fun--I'm always mesmerized when I ride on that, even though I've never been on the Disneyland version. HM at WDW has always been a favorite of mine.

You always get pleasant photos of the Dapper Dans. I was thinking how much I also like them (in MK at WDW). They're an old-time entertainment act that has such a lasting charm, down through the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom