2017 Theme Park Attendance Data

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
The 2017 Numbers are out and I just updated the charts with an additional year of data.

Walt Disney World (Theme Parks Only)

1526563096776.png

Universal Orlando Resort (Theme Parks Only)
1526563132094.png

Disneyland Resort
1526563224377.png

Still working on updates so if you find an error in the data, please let me know and I'll make necessary corrections.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
Combined total admission for Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando (columns represent combined totals for all non-water parks at each resort)
1526563594422.png

Orlando Theme Park Market Share by attendance
1526573742868.png

Orlando Water Park Market Share
1526573759304.png

Combined Theme Park and Water Park Market share in Orlando
Since Universal wants to call Volcano Bay a Theme Park (I disagree) here is what it would look like if all water parks were blended in
1526573780674.png

Still working on updates so if you find an error in the data, please let me know and I'll make necessary corrections.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
A little bit more raw data for references:

Last 8 years attendance at Orlando parks and Disney Worldwide
1526567477357.png

Year over year percentage change for the last 8 years relative to previous year
1526567004349.png

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Global Rankings
Magic Kingdom
Disneyland
Tokyo Disneyland
Universal Studios Japan
Tokyo DisneySea
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Epcot
Shanghai Disneyland
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Universal Studios Florida
Chimelong Ocean Kingdom
Disneyland Paris
Disney California Adventure
Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios Hollywood
Lotte World
Everland
Hong Kong Disneyland
Nagashima Spa Land
Ocean Park

Observations:
  • In its first full year of operation, Shanghai Disneyland welcomed around 11 million guests
  • With the opening of Pandora, Disney’s Animal Kingdom saw a 15% YoY attendance increase to around 12.5 Million guests
  • Hollywood Studios saw a .5% decrease in attendance, the only Disney theme park worldwide to see a decrease in attendance last year. Keep in mind that only TDR’s numbers are official, the rest, for Disney, are estimates.
  • Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach each saw solid single digit decreases, likely attributed to the opening of Volcano Bay
  • Speaking of which, Volcano Bay welcomed around 1.5 Million guests during its opening year
  • Sea World Orlando saw a 10% decrease, the compounded effect of Blackfish, decline in quality post sell off from Anheisher Busch and current mismanagement
  • Both Parc Disneyland and WDSP saw solid increases thanks to the 25th anniversary celebration

GiveMeTheMusic

I will say it again this year. There is no way DHS had 10,722,000 visitors in 2017. DHS cannot handle 29,375 guests per day.

SDL is a huge park with much higher capacity and it had a very successful and crowded year, and according to this, only pulled in a few hundred thousand more than DHS. Sorry, not a thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So about 55,000,000 Total for the Maingates?

...the good news is that policy of “raising prices to limit attendance for the good of the guests” is working to a T 🤐

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I will say it again this year. There is no way DHS had 10,722,000 visitors in 2017. DHS cannot handle 29,375 guests per day.

SDL is a huge park with much higher capacity and it had a very successful and crowded year, and according to this, only pulled in a few hundred thousand more than DHS. Sorry, not a thing.

Probably gets a lot of help by being in the WDW resort....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Sadly it did and had...

A half open park at full price. There’s a whole psychology class at play here.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, if the numbers are to be believed, I'm sure Disney is happy to see a pretty substantial gain in the Orlando market share after several years of declines (even if Universal made gains as well). Seems like Disney and Universal's gains were all at Sea World's expense...

I just updated the charts to add a projection of Sea World Orlando data since they dropped off the Top 25 and didn't have numbers listed. I took last years data for Sea World and applied the 5.5% attendance drop that the Sea World Resorts group is reported to have at the total level to project a 2017 number for Sea World Orlando. The charts have been updated to reflect that now.

EDIT: I just found the Sea World data later in the North America section of the report and refreshed the charts accordingly. They were actually down 10% in Orlando

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just updated the charts to add a projection of Sea World Orlando data since they dropped off the Top 25 and didn't have numbers listed. I took last years data for Sea World and applied the 5.5% attendance drop that the Sea World Resorts group is reported to have at the total level to project a 2017 number for Sea World Orlando. The charts have been updated to reflect that now.

I still think that’s really tragic...sea world has done far more good than bad and AB parks were always high quality...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I would hazard a guess that the upticks are mostly due to Pandora. MK and EC saw increases thanks to it and DHS would have seen further declines without Pandora. Kind of a “well, if we are here anyway” mentality. This also explains the long term plans to add something, somewhere yearly. Of course, that should’ve always been the plan.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Original Poster
I still think that’s really tragic...sea world has down far more good than bad and AB parks were always high quality...

I don't disagree at all. The parks are all really nice and well operated. They just did such a horrible job managing the massive misinformation campaign against them that I fear they may never recover. I desperately hope they do find a new way forward but if attendance keeps declining it becomes financially challenging to raise the bar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom