2017 Theme Park Attendance Data

seascape

I don’t want to see mgm with over 12,000,000...it would be insane. The ride capacity and footprint aren’t really increased...it just wasn’t originally laid out big enough to fit that comfortably. It’s a “feeder” park
Hollywood Studios will draw well over 12 million in 2020. In fact I am expecting over 13 million. Will it be crowded? Of course but its Star Wars. As for Hollywood Studios attendance in 2017, I still went 3 times, but I have a season pass.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hollywood Studios will draw well over 12 million in 2020. In fact I am expecting over 13 million. Will it be crowded? Of course but its Star Wars. As for Hollywood Studios attendance in 2017, I still went 3 times, but I have a season pass.

There are limits to comfort...is my point. Studios is very different from the other 3 and they have not addressed that on the surface.

I’d you want Star Wars nuts descending...and that was the point...you can’t underestimate them.

RSoxNo1

I've seen internal attendance numbers for the MK and EP that are close enough to what TEA is reporting. I still have trouble accepting the DHS number.

It'll be interesting to see how this fall's implementation of seasonal multi-day pricing will affect DHS prior to SWGE.
Can you explain the attendance increase at Epcot? Seems out of place.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
could we make the argument that Pandora was just as successful as HP from a crowd level stand point....probably not from a merch stand point

Universal was WAY down before Harry Potter built AND it was in the worst recession in modern history...that’s a tough line to draw.

And it kind out Comcast on the map as a high end theme park operator.

RSoxNo1

The reason for the increase in the Festival of the Arts. In fact there are now 4 Festivals F&W, F&G, Holidays and Arts. It is also why I am now making 4 trips a year to WDW.
Festival of the Arts was only a few weekends in 2017.

I think the bigger question is the DHS numbers. Those don't make sense to me and I suspect it was Disney not wanting to see the #s for DHS dip below Universal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The reason for the increase in the Festival of the Arts. In fact there are now 4 Festivals F&W, F&G, Holidays and Arts. It is also why I am now making 4 trips a year to WDW.

Last year festival of the arts was Thursday - Sunday for 3-4 weeks. 16 days?...so while that would be a bump...it’s not enough. I think mgm is the biggest factor...and perceived over crowding of DAK/MK Rides

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Wasn't FotArts full-time for the first time in 2018? I don't think that the weekends in 2017 would have made a big difference.

2017 was the first year FEA operated full time all year (with a lot less downtime then it's first year). And it was the first year Soarin' Around the World was full-time all year.

2016 was a year attendance slightly dropped for almost all the parks. So, it's not surprising in a year when all the parks are growing that Epcot wouldn't grow, too. And all the people that showed up for Pandora most likely added an Epcot day to their plans.

seascape

The most fascinating trend in the attendance report is how soon a Chinese company will pass Universal into 3rd place. It really looks like next year Oct Parks could pass Universal, or certainly in 2020. They are only 6,578,000 behind Universal and they had 10,610,000 increase in their own attendance in 2017. China is still growing much faster than the US and Europe. Fantawild also is growing much faster than any of the other themepark companies and looks like they will pass Universal in 3 to 5 years. Even Disney and Merlin have to worry about staying number 1 and 2 based on the growth the Chineese companies are experiencing. If either of those 2 decide to expand outside of China and buy Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Seaworld or Parques Reunidos they would become number 2 and pass Merlin.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The most fascinating trend in the attendance report is how soon a Chinese company will pass Universal into 3rd place. It really looks like next year Oct Parks could pass Universal, or certainly in 2020. They are only 6,578,000 behind Universal and they had 10,610,000 increase in their own attendance in 2017. China is still growing much faster than the US and Europe. Fantawild also is growing much faster than any of the other themepark companies and looks like they will pass Universal in 3 to 5 years. Even Disney and Merlin have to worry about staying number 1 and 2 based on the growth the Chineese companies are experiencing. If either of those 2 decide to expand outside of China and buy Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Seaworld or Parques Reunidos they would become number 2 and pass Merlin.

If china wasn’t in fact on the third rock from the sun...I’d make the case it’s an entirely different world.

I’m not sure what mass Chinese numbers do to American/western operators...

Iger has kinda pivoted back away from it...once promising massive free money for investors there that can be gotst from New Yorkers being charged double the rates every five years to go to Orlando repeatedly.

seascape

Last year festival of the arts was Thursday - Sunday for 3-4 weeks. 16 days?...so while that would be a bump...it’s not enough. I think mgm is the biggest factor...and perceived over crowding of DAK/MK Rides
The Festival of the Arts started in 2016 but was a very late addition and I could not make plans quick enough to attend. There are thousands like my wife and I who loved it and went for the fa
If china wasn’t in fact on the third rock from the sun...I’d make the case it’s an entirely different world.

I’m not sure what mass Chinese numbers do to American/western operators...

Iger has kinda pivoted back away from it...once promising massive free money for investors there that can be gotst from New Yorkers being charged double the rates every five years to go to Orlando repeatedly.
China is going to get a second gate in Shanghai but also a second resort in a different city.

disneygeek90

I went far more than 3 times. 18 times in 2017 to be exact. Sure, it can be difficult to fill an entire day unless you feel like doing every attraction and show, but there is more than enough to occupy a few hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom