2016 TEA Themed Entertainment Attendance Report

pilka214

If you look at all the numbers, Disney had an extraordinary 2015 which couldn't be matched by 2016. MK saw 1 million more guests in 2015 than it did in 2014... that's an insane increase in guests. I don't think it's surprising at all we saw it level out last year and will see it grow comfortably for the foreseeable future.

Props to Universal for creating fantastic competition. The only winner here will be the consumer.

Nubs70

Historically, Disney's theme parks have always been susceptible to recessions. This was true even when the Disney brothers were calling the shots.

Disney's leverage is in subcontracting as much as possible and then incrementally squeezing suppliers. Suppliers willingly complete with each other to win Disney's volume of business, even if it means sacrificing their margins.

Corporate loyalty means little in today's business world. If your current supplier can't meet your cost objectives, put the work out for competitive bid and watch suppliers bend over backwards to win your business.

It's a common tactic employed by large companies; squeeze The Little Guys who are desperate for business.

Returning to the the topic of this thread, it means Disney is willing to sacrifice some attendance if it means increased operating margin. You are not a "Guest"; you are a source of profit. :(
Just to clarify, reliance on margin gains through price increases make as P&R more susceptible to recession influences. Margin is akin to a 2nd derivative of top line revenue.

bhg469

I dunno... Nintendoland and (potentially) the rumored Ministry of Magic new major attraction in Diagon Alley (as has been rumored) may keep numbers much closer...
You're absolutely correct. Star wars doesn't have the international appeal that potter and Nintendo do. Yes, star wars opening will probably be the closet thing that Disney will ever see in comparison to the opening of Wizarding world but that level of hype will probably never be seen again.

Their rumoured their gate is something interesting to think about as well. They may have a concept ready that will blow everyone's mind but that's still far off.

This is coming from someone who is equally excited for all the additions even the rumored ones you mentioned. I can't wait to see them all but I know Nintendo and potter are just more popular. That is just a fact.

Last edited:

Ag11gani

You're absolutely correct. Star wars doesn't have the international appeal that potter and Nintendo do. Yes, star wars opening will probably be the closet thing that Disney will ever see in comparison to the opening of Wizarding world but that level of hype will probably never be seen again.

Their rumoured their gate is something interesting to think about as well. They may have a concept ready that will blow everyone's mind but that's still far off.

This is coming from someone who is equally excited for all the additions even the rumored ones you mentioned. I can't wait to see them all but I know Nintendo and potter are just more popular. That is just a fact.

I have no idea, about how popular Nintendo acctually is but Star Wars is far more popular than Potter. It is arguably the biggest movie franchise ever.

Kman101

How did Disneyland's first day of operation go? Oh that's right, it was a disaster! But mistakes were made and learned upon. Volcano Bay is the first waterpark that Universal ever built so mistakes will be made and learned upon.

Uh yeah. Journey Into Imagination 2 & 3 were such amazing products to come out of WDI. Same could be said for Stitch, eh? What about Circle of Life? WDI still produces "hit-or-miss" attractions.

I'm not saying Universal is any better but they are at least making the most of the confined space they have. Meanwhile over at Epcot there are a number of empty, abandoned areas that leave the park a mere shell of what it used to be. Yes, there are plans down the road but they always turn out to be WAY down the road.

LOL

Kman101

I have no idea, about how popular Nintendo acctually is but Star Wars is far more popular than Potter. It is arguably the biggest movie franchise ever.

Nintendo has great appeal but so does Star Wars. I think people are underestimating Star Wars. I expect both to be equally huge. But it's often how some threads go. Universal can do no wrong to some (and yes, to some Disney can do no wrong). If Pandora had a messy opening people would be all over it but Universals opening of VB gets defended. And then heaven forbid something is criticized. (And I'm already expecting some to tell me how all of this isn't the case and give examples but I know what I read). Look at ravens (EDIT: I'm not criticizing raven at all, just using as an example!) post because it sums up a lot of what I see. Why does it always have to come to that? Different things appeal to different people. Universal has slacked at times and so has Disney. I just think neither is above the other. It's possible to love them both and still be able to criticize them when deserved. I enjoy both resorts and what they offer. I already know this post won't exactly be a popular one ... lol

Last edited:

raven

Nintendo has great appeal but so does Star Wars. I think people are underestimating Star Wars. I expect both to be equally huge. But it's often how some threads go. Universal can do no wrong to some (and yes, to some Disney can do no wrong). If Pandora had a messy opening people would be all over it but Universals opening of VB gets defended. And then heaven forbid something is criticized. (And I'm already expecting some to tell me how all of this isn't the case and give examples but I know what I read). Look at ravens (EDIT: I'm not criticizing raven at all, just using as an example!) post because it sums up a lot of what I see. Why does it always have to come to that? Different things appeal to different people. Universal has slacked at times and so has Disney. I just think neither is above the other. It's possible to love them both and still be able to criticize them when deserved. I enjoy both resorts and what they offer. I already know this post won't exactly be a popular one ... lol
Because I was responding to someone's claim that Pandora's opening was way better than Volcano Bay. Not sure how those two even relate at all yet someone brought it up, yet they didn't even go to the VB opening.

A lot of Disney diehards on here are quick to throw a brick at Universal when they feel that Universal is doing something good. Guess it makes them feel better. I like both Disney and Universal but you have to have a reality check once in a while.

Kman101

Because I was responding to someone's claim that Pandora's opening was way better than Volcano Bay. Not sure how those two even relate at all yet someone brought it up, yet they didn't even go to the VB opening.

A lot of Disney diehards on here are quick to throw a brick at Universal when they feel that Universal is doing something good. Guess it makes them feel better. I like both Disney and Universal but you have to have a reality check once in a while.

I wasn't criticizing you or anything, just using your post as an example. I don't understand the need to knock something just because. I also don't understand the constant desire to compare Universal and Disney and argue back and forth which one's better, etc. I agree about needing a reality check but to me it works both ways. Volcano Bay had a bad opening. I'm not going to give them a pass because it's their first water park. But I also understand things need to get worked out, like anything new opening. People are insanely quick to judge and criticize. I just think it should be fair criticism, on both sides.

raven

I wasn't criticizing you or anything, just using your post as an example. I don't understand the need to knock something just because. I also don't understand the constant desire to compare Universal and Disney and argue back and forth which one's better, etc. I agree about needing a reality check but to me it works both ways. Volcano Bay had a bad opening. I'm not going to give them a pass because it's their first water park. But I also understand things need to get worked out, like anything new opening. People are insanely quick to judge and criticize. I just think it should be fair criticism, on both sides.
And this thread has shown that Uni must be doing something right because they are the only parks in Orlando who's attendance went up last year. Both Disney and Universal have proven to make excellent attractions but both have different target audiences too.

Kman101

And this thread has shown that Uni must be doing something right because they are the only parks in Orlando who's attendance went up last year. Both Disney and Universal have proven to make excellent attractions but both have different target audiences too.

Agreed (and as someone who loved Universal long before it became "cool" to love the parks, I'm so beyond happy for their growth and increase in attendance and most of their newer rides). And yep, the have different target audiences.

Kman101

I know Nintendo and potter are just more popular. That is just a fact.

How is it a fact? (I ask this as someone who is a HUGE fan of Nintendo and wish Universal would get it all built already). Star Wars has been in pop culture for 40 years. I'd argue as popular as Potter is, Nintendo could have it beat. I don't know that we'll ever see the lines Potterland got when it opened but I have no doubt Nintendo and Star Wars are certainly capable of achieving that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How is it a fact? (I ask this as someone who is a HUGE fan of Nintendo and wish Universal would get it all built already). Star Wars has been in pop culture for 40 years. I'd argue as popular as Potter is, Nintendo could have it beat. I don't know that we'll ever see the lines Potterland got when it opened but I have no doubt Nintendo and Star Wars are certainly capable of achieving that.

You could probably come up with some objective ways of comparing Star Wars to Potter since they were both movie franchises, but coming up with an objective way to compare the popularity of a video game franchise with a film franchise would be really hard to do.

bhg469

Star wars appeal is largely the US and Europe. The main reason star wars episode 7 wasn't the top grossing movie ever, was because it doesn't play well in China or Japan. Star wars will be big but Nintendo is going to draw huge numbers.

bhg469

It's only a fact if you can prove it. I think Star Wars is more popular.
Think all you want but Nintendo is more popular across generations, genres, and continents. Avatar wasn't the highest grossing movie because it was good, it just dominated all markets in ways star wars couldn't. I am a huge star wars fan but it just doesn't have the broad appeal that you think it does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom