2016 Lawsuits against Disney

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Would a front desk CM direct a guest to leave their items in the car rather than check them with the bell staff? Seems odd.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Does Disney have signs prominently displayed at resort parking lot entrances stating not responsible for items left in vehicles?

@Andrew C, agree. Find it odd that front desk CM would advise guest to leave luggage in vehicle, rather than check in with bell staff. Especially since bell staff provides receipt to use to claim belongings.

Plus, good luck proving (1) what was stolen and (2) value of said items. Besides, wouldn't guest's auto insurance cover value of items, up to value covered under policy, stolen from insured's vehicle? And I bet most auto insurance policies cover actual, not replacement, value.

And what idiot leaves property valued at $84k in their vehicle? What idiot takes property of that value to WDW?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Another comment on the $84k lawsuit. The Contemporary, like ALL deluxe resorts, has curbside valet service for your belongings (and your car, if you wish to have someone park it for you). After unloading your car, you are provided a claim ticket which you can take to the front desk and retrieve your belongings, once you've parked your car.

JoeCamel

Besides, wouldn't guest's auto insurance cover value of items, up to value covered under policy, stolen from insured's vehicle? And I bet most auto insurance policies cover actual, not replacement, value.

And what idiot leaves property valued at $84k in their vehicle? What idiot takes property of that value to WDW?

It is the insurance company that filed the suit

LAKid53

Premium Member
It is the insurance company that filed the suit

Yeah, I missed that. They want to be reimbursed for the claim they paid. Sadly, the complaint doesn't list the stolen merchandise.

Unless the complainant can prove that a Disney employee instructed the guest to leave his property in the vehicle, they don't have much of a case. Don't believe temporary bailment applies here since Disney didn't have physical possession of the vehicle. A car in a parking lot, with valuables in plain view, since the complaint mentions a broken window.

RSoxNo1

Let me draw the Class' attention to 2016-CA-000860-O JACKSON, ROBIN M et al.vs.WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC, Filed Yesterday.....

(Defendant) Negligently opened a door in the Pirates of Caribbean attraction with such force that it struck the Plaintiff, causing her to suffer injuries and damages as hereinafter alleged.

Will someone please explain to me where on POTC you can be struck by a door? I've ridden that thing more than most. Even in the queue line, I cannot see where you can be struck by a door. There's no way you can be struck by a door on the attraction itself.
Perhaps going through the occasionally used disability entrance on the left side of the building. You go back stage and enter by the fountain in the queue.

Back on the old WDW Fan Boys days, we did an episode on Lawsuits, that was fun.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So, if, as you mention in your complaint, that you "went on the Property as part of a Disney vacation to enjoy rides and attractions, a family tradition for many years", wouldn't you know that (1) the area around the Castle is crowded at certain times of the day and (2) that there are curbs you step down from/up to on Main Street, the Hub and Town Square?

If I was an attorney representing Disney, this is what I would put in the motion I file to dismiss. That said complainant was a regular visitor as stated in the complaint and thus was familiar with both the crowds and walkways around the Castle. Stupid plaintiff's attorney for allowing that sentence in the complaint.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The defendant was a CM, the plaintiff was "a business visitor". I assume this doesn't mean a park guest but a person at the park for business reasons which means they could have been backstage.

If you read several of the complaints, all guests have been referred to as a business visitor, since the defendant- Disney - was authorized to do business and was doing business in Orange County, Florida. Legal language to differentiate between residential and business activity and property.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If you read several of the complaints, all guests have been referred to as a business visitor, since the defendant- Disney - was authorized to do business and was doing business in Orange County, Florida. Legal language to differentiate between residential and business activity and property.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jimmy Thick

Greatest thread ever!!!

I dont know whats worse some of the claims people attempt to make or the fact there are lawyers who think they could win them or get a settlement.

Jimmy Thick- A William Shatner overdub can convince the easily manipulated public...

Tom

Beta Return
We visited DHS last week. My 60 year old mom, who's in good health, came with my wife, baby and I. We were navigating the TSMM queue and she followed us. I heard a thud as we got to the load platform, and turned around to see my mom sitting on the floor.

She had missed the bottom step as you come down from the "overpass", and went down on her knee. She dusted herself off, got up, and rode TSMM for her first time. She had a red knee, perhaps with some minor swelling, but it didn't stop her from doing anything.

And not to sound all high and mighty, but the thought of suing Disney never even crossed our minds. She said it was her fault for not wearing her glasses that morning, but also commented on how the tread on the bottom step was different, making it hard to see (for her).

I think one CM may have stepped over to see if things were OK, but nobody made a deal about it. She was more embarrassed than anything.

marissieviolissie

I fell after the Frozen show in Nov because the lights were out and the side walk raised. Fractured my hand and the prognosis is the shooting pains will remain for a very long time.

The year before Pluto and I were in a little dance together and he accidentally hit my face. Caught on photo.

I'm starting to look for a big house and car because Disney didn't do enough to protect me from my own fault of not watching my step and of course the brutal attack by Pluto. I now never trust dogs that are as tall as a human and stand on two paws anymore :(

I'm hiring John Morgan of Morgan & Morgan. For the People.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Disney4family

I can't let my sister know about this thread. She hates the Mouse - calls it a "machine". But - since she has 2 little girls, she reluctantly went for the Anna & Elsa craze. The oldest one bumped her head pretty bad because she wasn't used to the bunk beds in Wilderness. The little one slipped & fell at the princess meet & greet since it was raining outside and the floor was slippery. My sister complained that no CM could get her an ice pack. She was finally given ice in a ziploc after waiting a long time. They were also given extra FPs &, since they were on the Cindy side, were able to cut the line to see Anna & Elsa.
The crazy thing is that she wants to do a big family trip one day. I guess it would be appropriate here to say, "over my dead body". ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom