2016 Christmas Week Phase Closing watch

Disneyhead'71

I don't think they miss you. And I don't mean that in a mean way. Current strategy seems focused the one time guest. And droves of them come each year and drop $1,000s. If they come back next year, that's just icing on the cake.
I'm absolutely positive they don't miss me.

And to honest, the top guys know they are flying the place into the side of a mountain. They just plan to golden parachute out seconds before impact.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20161224_191349.jpg
20161224_151534_HDR.jpg
Merry Christmas Eve from DHS. As was posted earlier, not much of a crowd here. Very pleasant to walk around. I don't think the same can be said about MK

Luxe

View attachment 181281 View attachment 181280 Merry Christmas Eve from DHS. As was posted earlier, not much of a crowd here. Very pleasant to walk around. I don't think the same can be said about MK
Same to you! I was glad we decided to head to the Studios today instead of another park. Seems like it was a solid decision. We actually spent an entire day here *gasp* and have been chain riding FP selections all day. Not to mention the beautiful weather we had today!

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Same to you! I was glad we decided to head to the Studios today instead of another park. Seems like it was a solid decision. We actually spent an entire day here *gasp* and have been chain riding FP selections all day. Not to mention the beautiful weather we had today!
Thanks! Totally agree. Got here around 3 for ADR and felt like we had the run of the park most of the time. Just rode the ToT with just 3 other people in the elevator. It seriously felt like an average weeknight. And you're right, the weather is perfect today. Enjoy yourself!

JimboJones123

MK was shockingly dead on the 23rd. Crowds like any non-hard ticket Friday night until fireworks, but with it open until midnight and other parks open late, after 9:00, it started turning into a ghost town pretty quick.

The 23rd is usually the latest we would ever bother to go to MK on Christmas week. It is usually a madhouse there. It will be interesting to see how tomorrow and the rest of the week go.

coasterphil

According to MDE, MK saw higher wait times earlier on in the day, including 80 mins for Splash Mountain! o_O

Even during the day it wasn't bad. No busier than a usual Saturday as far as I could tell. I never thought I'd go near MK this weekend, but when I saw how relatively slow it looked on the app we decided to see the early parade and stroll through the park a bit.

I'd hold off on calling Disney's pricing strategy the reason for lower than anticipated crowds right now. I'm almost certain the way the holiday fell means everyone will be here between Christmas and New Years rather than spread out of the 10-14 day holiday season.

At least I hope that's the case, as Orlando's entire hospitality industry was depending on the holiday season to help make up for what's been a pretty disappointing year over all. The leisure market in town has been down all year, and any positive trend would have been great news. Disney and Universal have weathered the storm just fine as the big players, but SeaWorld and off property hotels/restaurants have struggled all year with the lack of visitors (particularly the higher spend/longer stay international crowds).

IanDLBZF

I'd hold off on calling Disney's pricing strategy the reason for lower than anticipated crowds right now. I'm almost certain the way the holiday fell means everyone will be here between Christmas and New Years rather than spread out of the 10-14 day holiday season.
Agreed.

IanDLBZF

At least I hope that's the case, as Orlando's entire hospitality industry was depending on the holiday season to help make up for what's been a pretty disappointing year over all. The leisure market in town has been down all year, and any positive trend would have been great news. Disney and Universal have weathered the storm just fine as the big players, but SeaWorld and off property hotels/restaurants have struggled all year with the lack of visitors (particularly the higher spend/longer stay international crowds).
Adding on, didn't SeaWorld have to layoff over 300 staff members recently? Oh wait, they did.

coasterphil

Funny. The resort I work at has had record highs this year and we are currently 33 rooms over sold.

That's good, and it seems like you'll have plenty of places to walk them if they all show.

I know many of the big branded hotels never saw leisure guests show up this year in any meaningful numbers. A quick look around shows lots of Marriott and Hilton hotels with availability tonight, some at discounted rates. It was nearly impossible to find a room for a relative who came to visit around this time last year, much less one for under $250 a night. They ended up staying at a Marriott brand on Colonial because the market was so tight.

Again, the story might be very different a couple of days from now, but I don't think there's any denying that overall this was just about as quiet as it can get in Orlando on Christmas Eve. It certainly hasn't been this pleasant during the other 8 years I've spent here. Usually I'm holed up in the house on my days off, not walking around MK wondering why it didn't feel any different than your average Saturday.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Cograts? Do you want balloons? A card?
He is fighting back with his wallet. Does Disney care? probly not. At least not yet. Their current business strategy has a finite shelf life. They have strayed so far from the principles that propelled them into a league of their own and are now strictly driven by greed and stock prices.

They wrap their BS up in a shiny box and tell you its magical and people soil their britches over it. Then there are people like @Disneyhead'71 and others (myself included) who are the Brantley Fosters of the Disney fan community and recognize that Iger is nothing more than a Howard Prescott who would prefer to cash out rather than build on the foundation of what made the company great. . #80'sReferences

disney4life2008

Were the lights out on the castle's highest turret last night, or was this pic taken just as the lights were coming on? Just curious. Great pic, by the way, and enjoy!

Good eye i didn't realize that. It was transitioning to a kiss goodnight when i took the picture. I cried so much last night. It was magical to be on main street at midnight. Everyone hugging and wishing each other merry Christmas. It was amazing.

Only until we got to ttc. 3 different fights broke out because people do not realize the trams line up with rows (at least i think).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom