2012 Olympics

The Mom

Premium Member
Mr Promey, you're back! A search party was being formed. We were concerned you may have done yourself harm over that ichthyological incident. ;)

MrPromey

Originally posted by wdwmaniac
It might be good because all the hotels, stores, and restaurants are all ready there. I herad after Nagano and Atlanta they had an economic slup. They already are a big tourist area.

This is a good point. There are two things that I see could be considered with all of this. First of all Since WDW's arrival on the scene, the Orlando area has been in a constant state of growth. While something like the coming Olympic games may cause it to grow faster and then experience a short lull afterwards history would suggest that as long as we back off the construction for a year or two, the demand growth should fill the vacancies in any new hotel rooms. Also, there are a lot of people that come to central Florida because it is the #1 vacation destination in the world. They come here to relax and many of those not interested in the games would probably choose to steer clear of the area (if they have half a brain) so to some degree, the extra people brought in because of the games would be offset by some of the people who would go elsewhere during the event. Most of the hotels in the area only have an annual occupancy of about 75% anyway which seems to be enough to keep them making money so, instead of a repeat of Atlanta, where it was nearly impossible to get a room, you'll just be paying an arm and a leg for one down here once they start building up in preparation of the games. I think we would be a smart choice and I'm not just saying that because I live here.

The Mom

Premium Member
That Ariel thing. You sounded unhappy. We were worried. Someone suggested a search party.

Obviously, you've gotten over her already.;)

Skipper Timekpr

As a native Floridian and have grown up in the literally country part of Florida in the original orange groves and swamps I say NO! Wed don't need the olympics yeah it might help the economy but if they do have them down here FL is in big trouble. Our education, transportation, and civic services are terrible. There is too much growth down here I wish everyone would stop building! Your destroying my state! These stupid developers and things building crapy homes on swamp grounds. Plus we're having a drought ! Ugg I wish all the new homes built within the last 8 to 10 years were destroyed and put the swamps and trees back!

MrPromey

Well Skipper, that's the nice thing about the Olympics: Most people don't take up permanent residence for them. They only last for two weeks which means there probably won't be a lot of homes built as a result of them unless watching the olympics on Florida inspires the world to move here. As for the drought. The Olympics, if we get them, aren't till 2012. That's 11 years from now. Think about that. The World Wide Web is only nine and a half years old back in 1990 most people didn't use computers and couldn't pay for gas at the pump. Another president named Bush was in office. 11 years is a long time. If we are in the same trouble 11 years from now that we are now, there isn't much hope for us with or without the Olympics...

<SRH>

No it's not. But when they were touring all of the Tampa-Bay area, there was no rain to impede on their day of inspecting the many facilities. Actually the local news was the one who mentioned that about the weather.

Timekeeper

There is plenty of info out there about what happens to a host city after the 2 week event departs. It's something that the general public doesnt give much thought to. I would never wish that on Central Florida.

NASAMan

Zombie thread! Though it is relevant, in as much as Rowan Atkinson, who voiced Zazu in The Lion King, was featured in the opening ceremony.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom