2011 Princess Half Marathon Host Resorts and transportation issues

mom2boys

Original Poster
Due to the inability of my husband to travel in January, I can no longer run the Disney Marathon that I registered for and have decided to do the Princess Half in Feb. After registering I was checking out the travel details and it looks like there are several "host" resorts for this event. I wanted to stay at POP this visit, but only the All Star resorts are included as host resorts that provide race day transportation (value). Being that I have heard horror stories of all star resorts sharing transportation and delays, etc, I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight into the All Star Resorts transportation. How easy would it be to get to the race if we stayed at another resort that is not a host resort? Is it really all that bad at the All Stars? Moderates are not out of the question, but during my past trip we were never in the room between 8am and midnight, so we only use the room to sleep, and I am looking to save some money in that aspect. Saving the "nicer" resorts for the future when we have seen it all and have more time to enjoy them!

JillC LI

We stayed in All Star Movies during late January and had no problem with bus delays. You do make a few stops since the buses are shared by all 3 All Stars, but we never had to wait long for a bus to arrive.

That said, when I ran the ToT13K last year, the buses that took people back to the host resorts seemed to be different from the regular Disney buses. Maybe someone can confirm this, but I think they were dedicated to taking people to and from the race. So if you are worried about delays getting to the race as a result of staying at an All Star resort, I wouldn't worry. And if you are worried about delays getting to the parks in general for the rest of your trip, I really wouldn't worry about that either. On the other hand, getting to and from the race from a non-host resort would probably be very hard due to road closures unless you can get there via monorail or boat or foot.

mom2boys

Original Poster
Thank you:)...My main concerns are the parks. I wanted to do POP because it had its own transportation, but since I am running the race and need to get there I have to do either an All Star or other moderate or delux resort so that I can have race day transportation. I want to hear more positive experiences like yours, as all I seem to hear from people is what a hassel it is to share!!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I loathed all things about the value experience at the AS-S resort. From the transportation debacles, the experience of or neighbors to the right and left of our room, the cleanliness... it was what we paid for, value. Im not hard to please either, but Im glad we didnt have kids with us on that trip. It would have been very hard to keep them patient while waiting anywhere from 15-30 minutes since at any park, we were in line with 2 other AS resorts.

It was just a nightmare. Granted the time of season is in your favor (we went at the end of Sept), but if you are worried about it, Id stay where you wanted and schedule a cab to take you to the start line that morning and the packet pickup. You have until February to raise that little extra cost and it might be worth it for your piece of mind and rest. I would love those nights of sleep back while the few dozen teens ran up and down the halls every night all night.

If I have to postpone a trip for a few months to get the difference in cost to stay at a mod as apposed to value, Id do it any day.

Sorry to differ completely from Jill, but you need good rest the nights leading up to the race, a non stress environment and it is a huge risk IMHO to chance an AS resort.

mom2boys

Original Poster
So next question...how hard will it be to get a cab, and will I have trouble getting there if it is not a "disney vehicle"? Should I rent a car for a day and have my husband drop me off? This last post is along the lines of what I have heard of All Stars too, but I am still hopeful there are more positives!!!

joel_maxwell

So next question...how hard will it be to get a cab, and will I have trouble getting there if it is not a "disney vehicle"? Should I rent a car for a day and have my husband drop me off? This last post is along the lines of what I have heard of All Stars too, but I am still hopeful there are more positives!!!
You can call and schedule a cab to come pick you up. That would be much easier for the cabbie to go and drop you off at WWoS (or where ever the start line is) then to rent a car. Even if it was a minimum of $30 for a cab to the expo and then another $30 for the ride tot he event, I would seriously consider it.

You can chance it at AS in February, but I would see if there are any trends of when the cheerleading competitions are in town and the country of Brazil comes to visit.

fmingo36

I ran the Princes 1/2 marathon this past March. We stayed at the AS Music resort. We had no problems with the transportation, cast members, room, or any part of the resort. And it was completely booked that weekend.

Yes, the bus makes more than one stop so it might be an extra 10-15 minutes getting to or from the parks but it really isn't work the $$ to rent a car.

We are running the W&D 1/2 this October and will be staying at the FW Cabins, which is not a host resort. I am already worrying about getting to/from the Expo and the race. If it weren't for the fact that we needed a larger room, I would prefer to stay at host resort.

dreamfinder

I have personally never had an issue with park transportation at All Stars. At least no more so than other resorts. In the morning, each resort typically has their own bus to deal with the crowds getting to the parks. At night, you may have a touch of a crowd as instead of trying to sort out the different resorts at the park, they share a bus. Remember that POP has its own bus, but they also have 50% more rooms that any given All Star. (2880 vs 1920)

For race transport, staying at a host resort really is much easier. Yes, you should be able to get a cab, or take a rental car to Epcot. You would want to schedule the cab in advance in my opinion as I don't think there are many sitting around at 5 am at WDW. Keep in mind that due to road closures, driving yourself may take longer as the normal route may be closed. The race transportation knows what route to take, while you and a cab may have to take detours that would add unexpected delays to your trip, possibly causing you to be stuck on a closed road when the race starts. The provided race transport takes this into account and you shouldn't have any problems.
The same applied to getting to the expo to register. A cab or a rental car will do this just fine. Remember that would need to either have the cabbie wait while you register (which could take 30 mins depending on lines) and if you want to shop the vendors or attend any seminars (if any are offered), or get another one to get back to your resort. Alternatively, if you are planning on being at MK the day of the expo, you could take the Monorail to the Poly, and then take the race transport from there. In the past I have been at Epcot and done that via Beach Club, and MK via Contemporary for marathons, but it depends on what resorts have transport for a given event.

joel_maxwell

I think my experience at the AS resort might have been isolated. Not sure. I think you would be fine for a February stay.

DisneyRunner

I stayed at All Star Music during the Princess Half in 2009. The host resort was All Star Movies, so I walked over. I was on one of the first buses with no problem. My sister left later to watch me at MK and had the bus to herself.

JillC LI

Sorry to differ completely from Jill, but you need good rest the nights leading up to the race, a non stress environment and it is a huge risk IMHO to chance an AS resort.

No worries. Everyone has their own experience. Perhaps we were fortunate in as it was not peak season when we were there. But we had no complaints about ASMovies in terms of bus wait or noise level. Then again, I've heard noise from neighboring rooms when we stayed at the CBR, so it's not always true that it is quieter at a value than a moderate - it depends on the circumstances. And I've heard similar complaints about long bus waits at CBR (we had a rental car on that trip, so I can't say). Again, we can all only report on our individual experiences.

JillC LI

We had a rental car, and my husband dropped me off before the TOT 13K last year. But just make sure to check on the times and locations of road closures before the race. Same if you plan to call a cab.

joel_maxwell

No worries. Everyone has their own experience. Perhaps we were fortunate in as it was not peak season when we were there. But we had no complaints about ASMovies in terms of bus wait or noise level. Then again, I've heard noise from neighboring rooms when we stayed at the CBR, so it's not always true that it is quieter at a value than a moderate - it depends on the circumstances. And I've heard similar complaints about long bus waits at CBR (we had a rental car on that trip, so I can't say). Again, we can all only report on our individual experiences.
I think all the rooms are prefabbed the same. Meaning, the wall thickness I would imagine is the same at all the value resorts and the mod resorts.

Yes, individual experience and time of season is all critical.

Disney Dawg88

I've run in three January races at Disney and have always driven to the starting line (at Epcot for the halfs and fulls) without any problems what so ever. I've stayed offsite and onsite (POR and Caribean Beach) during these three races and I prefer to drive (although not suggested by Disney) so sometimes I've had no other choice but to do so. The only problem you would have driving would be if you were staying at the Floridian or Wilderness Lodge which the races uses the roads around. If you're able to drive north on World Drive from 192 you shouldn't have any problems getting into the Epcot parking lot for the start of the race.

Also, from what I've heard, and I was at the parks the day of the race this year, but there aren't as many runners compared to the January races so it should be even easier to get to the Epcot parking lot. But hopefully your husband will drop you off and then come and pick you up to see you finish.

TakeMeThere81

I'm really glad this issue was brought up. DH and I are coming in Feb for the Princess 1/2, only he's not running. He'll be dropping me off though. It sounds like it shouldn't be too hard for him to do.

mom2boys

Original Poster
Just checking in on this thread again. So I am guessing if we get a rental car, we should be OK. But If they extend the 25-40% off resorts through our stay until 3/5/11 I'll just book AKL and be done with all the worries!!! Checking on that daily...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom