2010 Pop Warner dates?

dvcnut39

Just got the go ahead to start planning a DEC10 trip :sohappy:. My only concern in when Pop Warner will be at WDW. I realize that it is early, but if anyone has any information on their dates, we would really appreciate the help.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You are not going to hear anything past speculation until after the 2009 dates have occurred. That being said the events typically occur over an 8 day period during the first 2 weeks of December. As a general rule their impact on the parks is minimal. About the only negative effect you will see from Pop Warner is at the All Star Sports resort. If you avoid staying there you will be just fine regardless if Pop Warner is going on or not.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Yep, most likely won't know the 2010 dates till this time next year. Typically it is the first week, into the second week of December. Honestly, we were there during Pop Warner week this past December and couldn't tell the difference. The games are held during the day so we rarely saw any teams at the parks during the day.

Upvote 0

Bennyrn12

About the only negative effect you will see from Pop Warner is at the All Star Sports resort. If you avoid staying there you will be just fine regardless if Pop Warner is going on or not.

This actually is not true. Most of the football players do stay at all stars but the cheerleaders stay at POR. We had the misfortune of being at POR in december when pop warner was going on. It was terrible. Pool parties with drunk parents letting their kids do whatever they want at midnight, very little help from disney security.. we ended up having to call the police. Granted not all of the cheer groups are like this it still ruined our vacation. If you are going to go the first 2 weeks of december stay deluxe if you can.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This actually is not true. Most of the football players do stay at all stars but the cheerleaders stay at POR. We had the misfortune of being at POR in december when pop warner was going on. It was terrible. Pool parties with drunk parents letting their kids do whatever they want at midnight, very little help from disney security.. we ended up having to call the police. Granted not all of the cheer groups are like this it still ruined our vacation. If you are going to go the first 2 weeks of december stay deluxe if you can.
While they do have Pop Warner packages at PORS I have stayed at PORS during Pop Warner every year since 2001 and never ran into a problem with them. Definitely nothing on the scale that you are talking about. I am not saying that they don't happen but they are nothing compared to the scale of the issues at All Star Sports.

Upvote 0

GrannyJill2

Here's another problem that Disney should address. Some folks are terrified at the prospect of sharing their resort with Pop Warner families, and often with good reason. On the whole, I think most are well behaved. But the few horror stories that get circulated, damage the Pop Warner organization and create bad press for Disney.

Isn't there some way to book an entire resort for all the PW groups, and warn others to book alternate resorts?

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

Original Poster
First, I want to thank everyone for their response. Second, the only time that we ever had a problem at was when we ran into a Pop Warner crowd in MK. It was 10DEC05. It was pretty bad if I can actually remember the exact date.

Just trying to be safe. I want my next trip to WDW to be great and I'm trying to plan the best that I can.

Upvote 0

Mystic

We've been twice now with the Pop Warner crowd and never really had a problem. We've had more issues with :lookaroun cough Brazilians cough :lookaroun. The Pop Warner crowds are generally booked into the All Stars in the Values and some of the teams are booked into Port Orleans Riverside. If you want to avoid the teams at the resorts, don't book into these particular resorts.

Also, I picked up a good tip from of all people a cheerleader, here on these boards. If you run into a badly behaved team/squad in the park/resort, approach one of the chaperones and find out what school and state they are from so that you can follow up with the school principal and school district and inform them of how well they were represented by their team/squad at Pop Warner and at Disney World. And make sure you actually do send the send the letter and follow up on it. If the principal and school district don't know about what truly goes on they can't step in and put a stop to it by banning the teams from future involvement. But this also goes both ways. If you see a truly well behaved team/squad, don't be afraid to approach them and tell them how nice it is to see it. My mom and I had this happen on one of our trips. We had a squad of cheerleaders in front of us in line for the Jungle Cruise and we did NOT want to get on the boat with them because we were afraid it would turn in the cheer fest and the ride would be ruin. Boy were we ever pleasantly surprised when they were the best behaved squad we'd ever seen. Not a single cheer came out of their mouths. Even the chaperones were well behaved. Unfortunately, there are just as many if not more well behaved teams as there are rude and obnoxious teams but they get painted with the same brush as their unruly counterparts. So if you see a well behaved team, find out where they're from and tell them you are going to tell their school that you were impressed by just what a great group of students they truly were.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

We too are planning a Dec 2010 and are planning for the 4-11 I think. I was worried about the crowds more than anything. We are planning for Bay Lake Tower 2 bdr suite since there will be 10 of us, so I don't think we will be too worried about the resort. but if most of the games are duing the day, that should not be too bad....

Upvote 0

Mystic

We've been to Disney twice in Dec during the first 2 weeks when Pop Warner has been on and they really don't have that much of an impact on the parks during the day. As the second week of Dec winds down and the number of teams in competition gets smaller the number of teams in the parks does increase but we tend to avoid the teams as much as possible. Also they do close down DHS for Pop Warner one night so best to avoid DHS that day, I believe it's usually Friday.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

we've been in wdw during allstar worlds (world wide cheerleading competition last weekend of april) and have no problem at all. we were just in wdw from the 5th-9th of dec 2009 during pop warner and saw various groups of cheerleaders and had no problems with them what so ever (they're easy to pick out since they tend to run around wearing team t-shirts). the only people we had any issues with were a group of brazillian team members (but i'm not sure if they were cheerleading but think perhaps affiliated with another type of sports group)... terrible pushing on several rides with the worst being in the haunted mansion. a lot of people complained to cast members in the area but it was scary standing around two solo moms each with little ones being carried and one holding hands (kids looked like two around the age of 3 and the smaller ones maybe 18 months) and the people i mentioned didn't seem to care who they were pushing. this was only a single incident with one group of people, otherwise you didn't really notice any group in particluar... i also didn't stay at one of their resorts. most of the time at competitions (speaking as a former allstar parent) they keep them so busy during the daytime you don't get much time at the parks at all during competition weekends.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

it won't stop me from going during that time of year either don't get me wrong there. it was just difficult having about 25 teenage and older aged people pushing especially when there were people around us with small kids and it was most certainly a singular incident.

Upvote 0

Disney05

Looks like we'll be staying at the WL the first week of December next year. It will be our first Dec trip. Was also concerned about these groups. Hopefully we'll have nothing but goods things to report when we come back.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Looks like we'll be staying at the WL the first week of December next year. It will be our first Dec trip. Was also concerned about these groups. Hopefully we'll have nothing but goods things to report when we come back.

You shouldn't have too many issues. You may see the odd 'cheer' family around the WL but you won't have any full teams. We stayed at Poly during the start of Pop Warner this year and we had a few cheer families but no full teams. Also you will see the teams in the parks more during the evening at the start of the week as they are all in competition.

We had issues at DTD this year. We went on the Saturday that the majority of teams arrived on. Raglan Road was packed and a team tried to do a walk up. They were told they could wait so all the parents went in to have a drink and left the kids, who knows where, probably out on the patio as it was too cold for the restaurant to have the patio opened. Some of the kids would come in and find the parents occasionally which led to them hanging over the back of my booth as the parents were getting drunk at the bar right behind me. I actually had to tell the kids to get off my seat. Also when we left and were making our way through DTD Marketplace to get back to the buses, it's the only time we've ever felt unsafe on Disney property. There were large groups of rowdy Pop Warner football players all over the place.

Also one thing to keep in mind is that the year the teams were suspended and kicked off property, it was AFTER the Pop Warner Competition was OVER. Obviously as the week goes on, their behaviour gets worse.

We were supposed to stay at POFQ during the first part of Pop Warner this year but knowing what kind of chaos comes with them and that POFQ is the overflow for POR, we jumped on the first deluxe room that came available with my free dining promo. It just happened to be a room at the Polynesian.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom