2009 Dining Plan Change

Ausdaddy

This will be an add-on. Disney will NOT be giving this away with a new 2009 MYW reservation.

I suspect it will be no more than $25/day for adults and no more than $10/day for children. Going above that turns too many people off as they can do the simple math - $8-10 per CS meal, $6 or so for 2 snacks and a mug that you can only refill at your resort. In order to use this DDP option, guests need to see some kind of tangible benefit. For example, the first time we used the DDP, we paid $440 for our plan and got $650 of food (we kept all receipts). Paying $250 for a DDP-lite plan and getting $275 worth of food isn't going to cut it.

Yeah, it will probably be around $25. That rate posted earlier is a marked up rate from the Virgin Holidays website.

gboiler1

Love the possibility of another dining option. We have done the dining plan in the past w/the sit down meals, but it's just too much planning and too much food if you have kids and are on the go. It's a great option to prepay for your meals and not worry about it.

Rob562

You could upgrade the free dining to deluxe? Does anyone know how much it added? Not that I guess I could change it now.

You can upgrade the Free Dining (which is the Basic DDP) to the Deluxe DDP by paying the difference between the two, which works out to $32 per night for adults and $10 per night for children age 3-9.

And even though the BOOKING window is closed for the Free Dining, you should still be able to call Disney and upgrade your existing Free Dining package to the Deluxe, if you want.

I did some calculations, and for my group, at least, it seemed like it would be about even-money on the upgrade, meaning we'd get back almost exactly what we put into it, so it would be more of a convenience than a savings.
Also, this was done by skipping the breakfast meal credit each day (using Snack credits to get breakfast items instead) and using that extra credit to double-up and eat at a Signature restaurant every night.
And if you start using your meal credits for Counter Service, you start losing money...

-Rob

kimmychad

This is OT, but I don't want to start a whole new thread...

Has anyone on here ever purchased the Delux Dinning plan? We half way considered it earlier this year since we like TS meals, and some of the places we like to go take 2 credits. Still, it seemed like too much. I'm just wondering if its a big seller. :shrug:

we are going back in sept for the bounceback promotion with the free basic dining and added on the deluxe plan. i think it was only like $30 a day more, and it will give my wifes elderly mom and moms cousin a chance to rest in the air conditioning and stay out of the heat for a while.

MousDad

Clarification posted on the original blog:

"Disney also announced a revised Magic Your Way plan. For fixed price per day, guests can add a Quick Service Dining starting Jan. 11, 2009. The package offers two quick service meals and two snacks for each night of stay, as well as a refillable drink mug for unlimited refills of non-alcoholic beverages at Disney resort hotels."

Thanks for getting the clarification. And we knock Kevin Yee for his journalistic skills?

Chance

I saw this too and my first thought was that this is further evidence that bookings are down, but I think it could be a good option.

From the blog, I can't tell whether this is an additional cost or if the quick service meals, snack and mug are "free" with the hotel stay.

It could also be a means for Disney to alleviate some of the pressure on the Table Service restaurants -- they have been getting a lot of flak for TS not being available............

disneytopdog

I sure hope they do start offering this third level. After doing the DDP for the past 4 years, the hassle of the table service meals is just getting to be too much with work and planning. Yeah I will miss all the great table service food every day. But, to give up 2 to 3 hours out of your day at the parks just to eat thats also not worth it. Besides if this makes getting ADR's easier you can always book one or two sitdowns(at the less popular places) closer to, or on the day of your visit. just my 2 cents....

RiversideBunny

..... the hassle of the table service meals is just getting to be too much with work and planning. Yeah I will miss all the great table service food every day. But, to give up 2 to 3 hours out of your day at the parks just to eat thats also not worth it. Besides if this makes getting ADR's easier you can always book one or two sitdowns(at the less popular places) closer to, or on the day of your visit. ....

Agree.
:)

bradandsarabr

Original Poster
But wouldn't this CS only plan, cut down on the $ WDW makes from TS?? Could this be a further cut-back on the current DDP?? I guess we will have to see on Sunday??

DisneyJoe

But wouldn't this CS only plan, cut down on the $ WDW makes from TS?? Could this be a further cut-back on the current DDP?? I guess we will have to see on Sunday??

Actually, there was a discussion on radp about the profit potential of counter service vs table service, most seemed to agree that counter service probably makes more profit than table service.

I think this is a smart move by Disney to do 3 things:

- give people another prepaid option for those who prefer counter service only
- reduce the stress on the table service locations/ADRs and possibly free some tables
- maximize the guest experience AND profit at the same time at both types of eateries

-Joe

sbkline

Being that we're now in August, shouldn't we be expecting JPVonDrake to come on here any day now and post the official DDP info for 2009? It doesn't look like we'll be going next year, but I'm still curious to see what the final versions of the DDP are going to be.

disneygirl1

Very Interesting!!! When we visit in December, this will be our first time using the DDP. We'll see how it goes, but I do like the add on feature that they will be offering in '09. I never was really big on doing a sit down per day, but the DPP will definitely save us $$$...

Also... Pretty neat what they are going to do to the rooms in Trinidad South at the CBR!!! As soon as my son hear about that, I know where we'll be stay on our next trip!

disneytopdog

Being that we're now in August, shouldn't we be expecting JPVonDrake to come on here any day now and post the official DDP info for 2009? It doesn't look like we'll be going next year, but I'm still curious to see what the final versions of the DDP are going to be.

Where is JP? He must be on vacation....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom