20,000 Leagues...

Krazyjoe

I mean I loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, it was my favorite ride in WDW when it was around, but I knew it was nothing but a basic carnival dark ride with cardboard cutouts. The ride closed not too long after 20,000 leagues and while I was mad at first, I knew the quality of the ride was subpar compared to newer attractions and wouldn't hold up much longer anyway had the left it open. .

Oh Wow...I DO NOT agree with that. I still love Mr. Toad to this day. I was heartbroken when they closed it in Florida. On the (relatively few) occasions when I find myself in L.A. (Four times in the past decade), it's always the first ride I ride in Disneyland.

I was just in WDW less than a month ago, and I still can't bring myself to ride the Pooh ride because I'm still holding a grudge over Mr. Toad's closure.

Goofyernmost

Oh Wow...I DO NOT agree with that. I still love Mr. Toad to this day. I was heartbroken when they closed it in Florida. On the (relatively few) occasions when I find myself in L.A. (Four times in the past decade), it's always the first ride I ride in Disneyland.

I was just in WDW less than a month ago, and I still can't bring myself to ride the Pooh ride because I'm still holding a grudge over Mr. Toad's closure.
The fact that you loved Mr. Toad doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't a glorified carnival fun house ride. It was complete with day-glow cut outs and no real AA's to speak of. A lot of people loved it in the nostalgic sense, but, it was hardly a high quality attraction, mechanically. It was fun, but, they could have done a whole lot better. I rode it once in WDW (that was enough for me. I didn't hate it I just wasn't all that impressed with the technology. In 2005 I rode it again at Disneyland, mostly to see if it was any better there... If it was I failed to notice it. However, it is liked by a lot as is Winnie the Pooh neither one will draw a crowd by itself, in my opinion.

JusticeDisney

Like many others here have said, I remember the ride from my very first trip to WDW back in the early 80s. Loved it then, and wish it was still there now (updated, of course).

I'm embarrassed to admit, however, that I can't remember where the attraction was actually located. Can anyone here help me out with that? Thanks!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Like many others here have said, I remember the ride from my very first trip to WDW back in the early 80s. Loved it then, and wish it was still there now (updated, of course).

I'm embarrassed to admit, however, that I can't remember where the attraction was actually located. Can anyone here help me out with that? Thanks!
It was located where the current FL expansion (littler Mermaid, Snow White, etc) currently sits.

thomas998

The fact that you loved Mr. Toad doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't a glorified carnival fun house ride. It was complete with day-glow cut outs and no real AA's to speak of. A lot of people loved it in the nostalgic sense, but, it was hardly a high quality attraction, mechanically. It was fun, but, they could have done a whole lot better. I rode it once in WDW (that was enough for me. I didn't hate it I just wasn't all that impressed with the technology. In 2005 I rode it again at Disneyland, mostly to see if it was any better there... If it was I failed to notice it. However, it is liked by a lot as is Winnie the Pooh neither one will draw a crowd by itself, in my opinion.
Having seen both Toad and Pooh with long lines at DL, and Pooh with long lines at WDW I have to question how much your opinion is really worth. You don't like it which is fair enough, lord knows there are rides I absolutely hate... but I don't simply assume they are bad rides simply because I don't like them, especially when they are apparently loved by enough to keep them from being walk on rides.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having seen both Toad and Pooh with long lines at DL, and Pooh with long lines at WDW I have to question how much your opinion is really worth. You don't like it which is fair enough, lord knows there are rides I absolutely hate... but I don't simply assume they are bad rides simply because I don't like them, especially when they are apparently loved by enough to keep them from being walk on rides.
While I fully support the "just because I do not like it does not make it a bad ride" philosophy. I am sad to say that @Goofyernmost 's appraisal is largely correct. Maybe a little on the harsh side, but most peoples 20+ year old memories of Toad just don't align with the reality.

There is no way to really get around it, Mr. Toad at WDW was not a high quality, Disney caliber dark ride. It was primarily black light lit plywood cutouts, very, very few AAs all based on a character that very few knew about in the 90's and almost no one would recognize today. Probably the most appealing feature were the 2 separate tracks that each had unique show scenes. Outside of that, it was a fine diversion, but it was not a Disney quality dark ride.

Toad was also a pretty much 24/7 walk on the last few years it was open. If it was pulling the numbers it needed in WDW it would most likely still be open. You just don't spend the money to redo a people eater if people are still lining up.

JusticeDisney

I have no dog in this fight but I can tell you this much for sure. His opinion is worth every bit as much as yours or mine or anyone else’s.

SportsGoofy

10000leagues.jpg

had the urge to do a little color correcting...

Goofyernmost

Wait... are you saying that I cannot have an opinion unless you agree with it? Really? If I don't like it or I think it is boring, done cheaply and not up to Disney standards now, then to me it's a bad ride. Your liking it does not change how I perceive it. When did I mention anything about how long the lines were? That is something that is easily seasonal anyway, but, just because it is popular with others doesn't mean that I have to like it, do I? You even mentioned that you absolutely hate some rides, so the question is... is it bad for you. Must be because you hate it. Why is what I said any different.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I remember that whole area. Snow White, Toad, 20,000 Leagues. Of all those I miss Toad the most.

20,000 Leagues was a nice ride - nothing spectacular, and as others have mentioned - waiting in an hour line (this was pre-FP) in the Florida heat, to then be ushered into a very compact, not particularly well ventilated contraption - to be seated next to other hot, sweaty, and irritated guests (along with a screaming child every so often) - to then in unison "rush" the small porthole windows to see fake fish - was an interesting experience. All that being said - I rather enjoyed it.

Goofyernmost

I remember that whole area. Snow White, Toad, 20,000 Leagues. Of all those I miss Toad the most.

20,000 Leagues was a nice ride - nothing spectacular, and as others have mentioned - waiting in an hour line (this was pre-FP) in the Florida heat, to then be ushered into a very compact, not particularly well ventilated contraption - to be seated next to other hot, sweaty, and irritated guests (along with a screaming child every so often) - to then in unison "rush" the small porthole windows to see fake fish - was an interesting experience. All that being said - I rather enjoyed it.
It was something entirely different that is for sure. The fact that they actually build subs and massive sets in a gigantic man made ocean only to have plastic fish to see was something that I was really impressed with. My wife who by the time she passed away had a Master Degree in Nursing and in Gerontology was completely taken in and believer that the subs actually submerged was a tribute to the illusions that Disney was capable of. It took one ride in the Skyway for her to see that they stayed the same depth. She was a pretty literal person.

Goofyernmost

I thought it was closed because it was a colossal fortune to run and maintain.
That isn't the excuse they used, but, it was commonly known to be the reason. They used the equipment is failing and not rebuildable. It was a very popular ride, but, a very low hourly capacity, slow loading and unloading process. But it was fun if you just let your imagination run wild. I miss it, but it wasn't the highest tech thing in the park. Plus like someone said, the queue was right out in the open for the most part. It was bad enough in February, I would have to imagine what it was like in July.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Peter Pan is just glowpaint too, IASW just dolls...

All the classic FL rides are low-tech. Fifties and sixties, with vintage vibe. That's what makes them so awesome and charming and quaint and re-assuring. Snow, Two Toad's and 20k would've kept our FL just as charming in 2018 as DL's is, instead of this bizarre random mix of conflicting styles sat around the world's greatest stroller parking lot.

thomas998

Wait... are you saying that I cannot have an opinion unless you agree with it? Really? If I don't like it or I think it is boring, done cheaply and not up to Disney standards now, then to me it's a bad ride. Your liking it does not change how I perceive it. When did I mention anything about how long the lines were? That is something that is easily seasonal anyway, but, just because it is popular with others doesn't mean that I have to like it, do I? You even mentioned that you absolutely hate some rides, so the question is... is it bad for you. Must be because you hate it. Why is what I said any different.
You might want to read what I said... Let me make it perfectly clear, I never said you can't have an opinion.... anyone can have an opinion. I simply implied that your opinion wasn't worth much as the ride are still popular with enough people to keep them busy.
Is that clear enough? Or do you still want to overreact and spew vitriol about something that wasn't actually said?

Goofyernmost

You might want to read what I said... Let me make it perfectly clear, I never said you can't have an opinion.... anyone can have an opinion. I simply implied that your opinion wasn't worth much as the ride are still popular with enough people to keep them busy.
Is that clear enough? Or do you still want to overreact and spew vitriol about something that wasn't actually said?
I know what you said, and I implied that you might want to look up the definition of opinion. It never was meant to be worth anything to anyone other then myself, however, I can and do express it. If you don't agree with my opinion it is certainly your right to disagree, but, it really is not part of any discussion to assign a worth to someones thoughts. If that were possible, your opinion of my opinion would have to be determined as worthless, but, I didn't say that because it is your opinion. And a few die hard fans of nostalgia are not an indication of quality, just popularity. Nor does it make me all of a sudden decide that "Oh, my... look at the line. I guess I was wrong. What's the matter with my perception these days? Here it is one of the greatest attractions ever and I thought it was awful. Now can we both stop being snarky and go on with our lives. Here's the thing, you think it is great, go to it as often as you like. I think it sucked and I won't go to it. Life can be simple sometimes. You shouldn't have to justify you liking something and I shouldn't have to justify why I don't. Is that clear enough.

thomas998

While I fully support the "just because I do not like it does not make it a bad ride" philosophy. I am sad to say that @Goofyernmost 's appraisal is largely correct. Maybe a little on the harsh side, but most peoples 20+ year old memories of Toad just don't align with the reality.

There is no way to really get around it, Mr. Toad at WDW was not a high quality, Disney caliber dark ride. It was primarily black light lit plywood cutouts, very, very few AAs all based on a character that very few knew about in the 90's and almost no one would recognize today. Probably the most appealing feature were the 2 separate tracks that each had unique show scenes. Outside of that, it was a fine diversion, but it was not a Disney quality dark ride.

Toad was also a pretty much 24/7 walk on the last few years it was open. If it was pulling the numbers it needed in WDW it would most likely still be open. You just don't spend the money to redo a people eater if people are still lining up.

I wasn't going to WDW in the 90's so I can't attest to whether it had lines... I do know that in the past years that we do DL that Mr. Toad always has had a line. And I agree most people probably never saw the movie, frankly when I finally saw the movie I wasn't impressed by it, but for some reason people on the west coast still seem to enjoy the ride... And it seems WDW rarely ever spends money to redo any ride whether it eats people or not, the bulk of their redo's seem to be with changing queues or exit to insure guest end up in merchandise shops.

thomas998

I know what you said, and I implied that you might want to look up the definition of opinion. It never was meant to be worth anything to anyone other then myself, however, I can and do express it. If you don't agree with my opinion it is certainly your right to disagree, but, it really is not part of any discussion to assign a worth to someones thoughts. If that were possible, your opinion of my opinion would have to be determined as worthless, but, I didn't say that because it is your opinion. And a few die hard fans of nostalgia are not an indication of quality, just popularity. Nor does it make me all of a sudden decide that "Oh, my... look at the line. I guess I was wrong. What's the matter with my perception these days? Here it is one of the greatest attractions ever and I thought it was awful. Now can we both stop being snarky and go on with our lives. Here's the thing, you think it is great, go to it as often as you like. I think it sucked and I won't go to it. Life can be simple sometimes. You shouldn't have to justify you liking something and I shouldn't have to justify why I don't. Is that clear enough.
What is clear enough is that while you say you know your opinion isn't worth a flip you get awfully upset when someone points that fact out. If you truly believed your opinion had no value why get so upset when someone points that fact out? Better yet if you think your opinion has no value why do you offer it if you think it only has value to you? I'm guessing because you do value your opinion, just like everyone values their opinion but for some reason you can't accept that other people simply don't accept it as gospel which is what you are hoping for.

Goofyernmost

What is clear enough is that while you say you know your opinion isn't worth a flip you get awfully upset when someone points that fact out. If you truly believed your opinion had no value why get so upset when someone points that fact out? Better yet if you think your opinion has no value why do you offer it if you think it only has value to you? I'm guessing because you do value your opinion, just like everyone values their opinion but for some reason you can't accept that other people simply don't accept it as gospel which is what you are hoping for.
I give up... go ahead and think what you want. Your opinion has just become worthless. Thanks for playing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom