20,000 Leagues...

Dragonman

Original Poster
It's so sad that Disney just trashed a beautiful ride like this. Sure it was deteriorating but that was their own fault. I would love to see some pictures of any props or other items besides the subs (Which I know ended up in a landfill) that survived the demolition of this remarkable ride.
squid.jpg
serpent1.jpg
atlantis_statue1.jpg

attachment-image-0b022e85-d89f-4d29-91d3-d59c71af00e6.jpg

thomas998

It's so sad that Disney just trashed a beautiful ride like this. Sure it was deteriorating but that was their own fault. I would love to see some pictures of any props or other items besides the subs (Which I know ended up in a landfill) that survived the demolition of this remarkable ride.
squid.jpg
serpent1.jpg
atlantis_statue1.jpg

attachment-image-0b022e85-d89f-4d29-91d3-d59c71af00e6.jpg
Sadly WDW has a habit of ignoring maintenance on some attractions and parks... Wish they were more like DL that seems to care more about keeping things up to a certain standard.... WDW often just seems to build it and then ignore it until it gets so bad it has to be removed.... Like Disney Quest that has probably seen zero capital pumped into it since it opened.

Phonedave

It was a cool ride, back then. Really, it was hot, it smelled like a truck, and not that great of a view from the porthole - which was actually good because the things in the water were clearly fake.

It did not only need to be maintained, but actually ubgraded. Yes, it was a iconic attraction, and quite innovative for it's time, but it either needed to go, or be upgraded.

And yes, I understand the inconsistency of me being somone who hopes CoP never goes away - it too is old, run down, and no longer anything thrilling, but I like it, and I can be inconsistent.

-dave

Tk0021

I remember it from my first Disney trip at the age of 5. I remember looking out the porthole. I remember it seeming small even when I was a kid.

correcaminos

OMG my mom LOVED that ride. I didn't care for it really, but I have a fondness for it since she loved it so and passed away in '92 so she never got to see its demise.

Since1976

20,000 LEAGUES was the first ride that made me realize the Disney Imagineers were wonderfully skilled illusionists.

I recall the bubble effect they used to make it seem like the sub was diving.

Later, I watched the subs from outside and saw that they did not in fact dive. I was 10 years old, and I found myself smiling for having been so successfully tricked.

I guess Disney World taught me critical thinking skills as well.

correcaminos

20,000 LEAGUES was the first ride that made me realize the Disney Imagineers were wonderfully skilled illusionists.

Later, I watched the subs from outside and saw that they did not in fact dive. I was 10 years old, and I found myself smiling for having been so successfully tricked.

LOL - they were good! Remember the Living Seas before Nemo took over? So many were convinced they were going down underground on that one too!

Sneezy62

You were smart, I thought the ones that didn't submerge might be broken and was always happy the ones I rode worked!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom