20,000 LEAGUES

PAW PAW 70

Original Poster
Remember the 20,000 league under the sea. I thought this was a good ride for DISNEY. It gave everyone the impression of actually being on a sub under the sea. This ride was located where the speedway is now. You even had the feeling of actually being under water because the subs leaked a little. I say bring back the subs I think people might like this type ride especially with the improved special effects that are available to Disney. What do you think?

LaunchPadMcQuack

I remember this ride when I went to Disney World as a kid. I reallt enjoyed it. I was dissapointed when I returned in my mid-20s and it was gone.

We do enjoy Little Mermaid, so I can 't complain.

Clamman73

Pic from July 1988
image.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Remember the 20,000 league under the sea. I thought this was a good ride for DISNEY. It gave everyone the impression of actually being on a sub under the sea. This ride was located where the speedway is now. You even had the feeling of actually being under water because the subs leaked a little. I say bring back the subs I think people might like this type ride especially with the improved special effects that are available to Disney. What do you think?

There is a newer version of the ride...but it's in Tokyo DisneySea. The actual ride itself is much different, taking a small "sub" and it's below the track, similar to Peter Pan's Flight:

gallery002.jpg

topimg.jpg

Nemo14

The ride itself was incredibly lame - cramped seating in a smelly enclosed low capacity vehicle where you sat and looked at plastic animals clearly hanging from strings and what-not. That being said, what I miss is the kinetics that it contributed to the general atmosphere at MK - something sorely lacking today.

copcarguyp71

Was not located where the speedway is though. Speedway and 20k were both open at the same time in 1977, 1987 when I was there. I am sure someone not on a mobile device like me can find a map but it was closer to where 7dmt is in fantasyland.

It would have been nice if they could have kept it and done a good quality refurb but from what I remember reading it was a maintenance nightmare.

PhilharMagician

The ride itself was incredibly lame - cramped seating in a smelly enclosed low capacity vehicle where you sat and looked at plastic animals clearly hanging from strings and what-not. That being said, what I miss is the kinetics that it contributed to the general atmosphere at MK - something sorely lacking today.

Add in the diesel fumes throughout fantasyland and the slow loading and unloading of the subs. I remember waiting for what seemed forever to get into the sub. Finally get in and the seat folded down and sit then a quite oversized person remembered the have claustrophobia and had to get out and hen proceeded to move people and unload to get them out. 20K had far more character looking at it from the outside than being on the ride itself.

Grumpy4196

Maybe if Disney ever gets a 5th gate they can make it boys/teen centric. throw in a Pirates land, Jules Verne land, an area dedicated to Lucas films, and may a Cars area. Or better yet why wait, just scrap DHS and start over.

mergatroid

This might bring back some memories and it's the view from the old skyway that used to be at the MK and you get an aerial shot of 20,000 leagues

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom