2 Week Vacation and Possible Lay-off

tookydo

Original Poster
We are currently booked for a 2 week MYW package at Pop this summer (free QS dining). Both my husband and I are teachers. We have just learned that our school budget will be cut drastically for next year (state budget cuts). We think our jobs will be safe, but won't know for sure until late June/early July; probably well after the balance is due. The vacation is paid for with this year's tax return. Given this situation would you still go or cancel? We've been struggling with this question for a few days now. Perhaps someone has been in a similar situation and can offer some advice.

rsoxguy

I have to begin by saying that I'm sorry to hear of your situation, and I hope that things work to your good concerning this threat to your employment. Given the amount of variables involved in your scenario, I'm afraid that there isn't anyone on this forum qualified to advise you regarding this dilemma. You are the one with information regarding present finances, emergency savings, alternative job opportunities, and personal views concerning risk vs. enjoyment. I will repeat what I have said on this forum several times; some questions are best left for the people who know you, rather than strangers on the internet. You will find many well meaning people here, but good intentions don't guarantee qualified answers. I truly wish the two of you well, and I hope that you find stability in your employment this Summer.

LALALand

I have to begin by saying that I'm sorry to hear of your situation, and I hope that things work to your good concerning this threat to your employment. Given the amount of variables involved in your scenario, I'm afraid that there isn't anyone on this forum qualified to advise you regarding this dilemma. You are the one with information regarding present finances, emergency savings, alternative job opportunities, and personal views concerning risk vs. enjoyment. I will repeat what I have said on this forum several times; some questions are best left for the people who know you, rather than strangers on the internet. You will find many well meaning people here, but good intentions don't guarantee qualified answers. I truly wish the two of you well, and I hope that you find stability in your employment this Summer.

I totally agree here. There are many variables. However, did you, or could you still purchase travel insurance? If you can, that might help you hedge your bets. I'd check to see if you can do that.

It's scary when you have a trip planned and feel like your job is threatened. I hope that it turns out to be just a scare. Teachers often get the short end of the stick for a very important job. I used to teach, and loved every minute of it, but it's not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination.

Cosmic Commando

I think the three most important variables are: your level of savings, the risk of you being laid off, and your perceived ability to find another job.

I would definitely research the trip insurance thing; make sure to confirm before you buy that the policy will do what you want it to do.

If you have a travel agent, you may want to talk to them about paying late. I know that the 45 day thing is not set in stone, but someone who deals it all the time would know much better than me.

Plowboy

Ditto to all the above statements. Have you given any thought to cutting your vacation back to one week as a sort of compromise to the situation? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Disneykidder

Very well said. You need to do what makes you comfortable. I, too, was thinking maybe you can scale back your vacation to 1 week instead of 2. But again, only if it works for you. Only you know your finances. I understand the Disney itch but there can always be another trip. Maybe you can make it for next Feb. break since you will know what happens before the balance for that vacation will be due.

On a personal note, I am a teacher in NY and the cuts here are awful. 48 teachers in my district got cut for next year and another 50 coming...it is terrible. Hang in there and know that everyone thinks the cuts are bs!!:(

sbkline

Ditto to all the above statements. Have you given any thought to cutting your vacation back to one week as a sort of compromise to the situation? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I agree with all the above posts, but this one especially. Obviously, depending on your situation, it may be wisest to cancel altogether, but as has been said, only you know your level of savings, risk of layoff, etc, etc. But I like to consider all out cancellation to be a last resort...sort of a "nuclear option" if you will. I like to use the business term of "cut your losses". In this case, "cutting your losses" might include doing one week instead of two, or staying offsite vs onsite. I remember when we used to stay offsite, we used to stay in a plain old Super 8 motel in Kissimmee. Since staying on property, we have gotten spoiled by that and can't imagine going back to the Super 8, but we had a blast on those trips just the same. For a 10 night stay, I think we only paid around $450 for the room...about 45 bucks a night, give or take. That was 6 years ago, so the prices may have gone up, but you can probably get a basic motel for close to that price. Not nearly as great as staying on property, but you have to ask yourself: would you rather be sitting at home in your living room missing that trip, or would you rather be walking down Main Street USA wishing that you were going back to the onsite pool later, vs your humble little room in a Super 8 motel? That's up for you to decide, but I know what my choice would be. It's better to be in Florida and salvage a trip, than to scrap it altogether.

You could do the two week trip at the Super 8, or you could cut it down to a week and stay at the All Stars, or cut it down to a week at the Super 8, or whatever you need to do to save money and justify the trip in your mind.

symon

We had a similar situation happen to us a few years ago. My husband found out he would be laid off in Dec. but we had a trip planned and paid for in Jan. Since the trip was already paid for we went.

There were both good and bad. Good: we were away from home and it gave us perspective on what we wanted to do with our lives for the next part, it allowed us to focus on our family and what was really important in life, it helped distract our kids from the worrying at home. Bad: my husband spent a lot of vacation time emailing resumes, and doing "job search" things, we were VERY frugal with spending on food, souvineers, etc., missed some of the "magic" because we were worrying about jobs.

I am glad we went and everything worked out OK for us (husband found a new job.) Good Luck to you! I know how stressful this time can be!

disneygirl1

Is it crazy that I read the thread title and KNEW that you would be from PA!!! It is such a shame what they are doing with budget cuts in the school!!! Of all places to cut $$$ from!!! It's absolutely crazy in my eyes.

Ok, now for your question, I had a similar thing happen to me in 2009. I got laid off right before my balance for our Disney trip was do. I was on the verge of canceling my trip but decided against it as I knew it was only a few day trip and I had already had all the $$$ for the trip saved. Now you are going for 2 weeks and that is probably costing you a nice chunk of change. But if you think you can swing it financiallt do it! Have you considered possibly shortening the length of the trip to save some money?

It's definitely a tough decision! Good luck and I pray your jobs are safe!

Chef Mickey

In my opinion, I'd cancel the trip. You sound like you're too close to the edge if you're paying for trips with a tax return. In my opinion, you should have 12 months of living expenses saved before you even think about going on a trip. Maybe you do.

wendysue

I know our school isn't being funded next year. I've been in a state funded alternative school for 15 years. Illinois.....nuff said.
But anyway, our vacation is planned for September and we ARE going, it might be the last one we have, so we will definitely enjoy!
I hope things work out for you. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom