2 things I noticed about SGE

CThaddeus

It's juvenile, the writing is horrible, the plot makes no sense, you sit in darkness for 80% of the show, the ending is anticlimatic, it's not entertaining, it replaced a classic attraction, and it doesn't belong in Tomorrowland because it's a prequel to a film that takes place in the PRESENT.

This was my reaction to Alien Encounter. It's one thing to create a suspenseful attraction that plays on your imagination. Alien Encounter, rather that using suspense, went for easy (and not at all funny) jokes and multiple deaths to try to be scary. It was like watching "Friday the 13th" or some similar "horror" flick. It just became about the body count and what ways they could come up with to kill people (and presumably the alien at the end).
As for the plot, Alien Encounter made very little sense. You watch a preshow where SIR fries Skippy, and then you're supposed to want to go into the next room to watch someone in the audience get fried? It obviously doesn't work. What moron - besides, apparently, Clench - would do something so stupid? Then, it's mentioned that only "some" people are suitable for teleportation and that their IQ would need to be boosted, yet Skippy, a life form SIR claims to be "lower," could be teleported. Of course, we saw how that went...
And, I know some thought the "peanut gallery" comments and screams were clever, but I found them cloying and distracting. They didn't feel immersive, only fake and manipulative. The "It's my mother-in-law" comment was particularly lame.
Next, the darkness. There seemed to be far more darkness in Alien Encounter than in Stitch. The latter has amazing set pieces - the laser cannons - that are used to great effect, wonderful in-theater effects, and an utterly amazing Stitch figure. In comparison, Alien Encounter had a cheesy-looking alien-on-a-stick that seemed to do little more than rotate. Perhaps it was audio-animatronic and had a few movements. If it did, it wasn't impressive enough for me to remember. The business of the guy in the rafters didn't do anything for me, either, as it seemed utterly implausible that an alien with a captive food source would bother to go after someone overhead (similarly, why would the alien run back to the center of the platform just because of the scream? Again, it's got a captive food source. Why bother?).
Alien Encounter a classic? I don't think so. Mission to Mars and Mission to the Moon were the classics in that spot. Frankly, I'd have preferred a 21st century update of them to what was done. I guess, though, that did happen with Mission: Space. Will I consider Stitch a classic? No. But I'd label it as such much sooner than Alien Encounter.
As for the comment about not belonging in Tomorrowland, I'm afraid Alien Encounter wouldn't have been allowed, then, either. Unless I missed something, it was set in an intergalactic convention center that we, the guest, are visiting. I don't recall any mention of it being in the future. Now, admittedly, we have yet to meet any aliens or visit any interplanetary convention centers, but then we have yet to visit an interplanetary detention cener or meet a blue alien named Stitch, either. They're both fanciful representations of sci-fi concepts. I just feel Stitch's Great Escape! was much better done.
Is Stitch's Great Escape! perfect? No. It has some flaws, too, but overall, the show is consistently more entertaining to me than Alien Encounter. Honestly, after the first time I visited the latter, I considered just skipping out after the SIR and Skippy preshow in subsequent visits to the Magic Kingdom. Fortunately for me, Stitch came along and I didn't have to.

the-reason14

I never had the pleasure of seeing AE, but from what I gathered it was supposed to be lifeforms from other planets(the aliens), showing off new technology(the teleportation)that is miles ahead of us(the humans), and they're showing it off to improve our lives. I think that idea fits perfectly in tomorrowland and made more sense then stitch.

voodoo321

I'm glad that Cthaddeus made that post. It saves me the time. AE wasn't as good, IMO, as everybody makes it out to be. Neither was Horizons, though I miss it dearly and hate MS. I think it's a case of loving what you can't have. Like a lost girlfriend. You amplify what was good about them after they are gone.
I think Stitch is a great Disney character. He takes the role of the old Mickey. A little devious and sneaky, with a heart. The show isn't perfect, but I think everyone exaggerates its flaws for the wrong reasons.
Side note: Mission to Mars was cool to me as a kid. But this type of show will always need to be upgraded, over the years, as technology dictates.

CThaddeus

I'm glad that Cthaddeus made that post. It saves me the time. AE wasn't as good, IMO, as everybody makes it out to be. Neither was Horizons, though I miss it dearly and hate MS. I think it's a case of loving what you can't have. Like a lost girlfriend. You amplify what was good about them after they are gone.
I think Stitch is a great Disney character. He takes the role of the old Mickey. A little devious and sneaky, with a heart. The show isn't perfect, but I think everyone exaggerates its flaws for the wrong reasons.
Side note: Mission to Mars was cool to me as a kid. But this type of show will always need to be upgraded, over the years, as technology dictates.

I have to say that Horizons will always rank as one of Disney's best for me. The original Future World left me speechless and inspired (unlike much of current Future World), and while I do like Mission: Space, this is a case where I would really prefer to have Horizons back. For me, it's not an example of amplifying what was good and forgetting the bad. I was blown away by how good it was, and I only wish I'd had the opportunity to go on it more than once. But, I have video to refer back to anytime I want to be reminded of why I enjoyed it so much. I also have video of Alien Encounter thanks to Martin, yet I can never get past how cheap and boring the main show always comes across.
I would liken Alien Encounter to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. While the one at Disneyland is well done and deserves to continue to exist, the one at the Magic Kingdom was a day glo mess, yet it's somehow revered as one of the Park's best extinct attractions. I don't get it, but to each his own.

Monorail_Orange

Did you actually ride WDW's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride? (No attitude, truly asking)

It's been gone a long time now, but I rode WDW's several times, and I've ridden DL's. From what I remember, they were virtually identical as far as show elements and appearance - I don't remeber WDW's being a "Day Glo" mess compared to DL's.

Also, I will opine that much of the effect of AE is lost on video. It was an attraction that had to be experienced - video loses about 90% of the factors I discussed in translation.

CThaddeus

Did you actually ride WDW's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride? (No attitude, truly asking)

It's been gone a long time now, but I rode WDW's several times, and I've ridden DL's. From what I remember, they were virtually identical as far as show elements and appearance - I don't remeber WDW's being a "Day Glo" mess compared to DL's.

Also, I will opine that much of the effect of AE is lost on video. It was an attraction that had to be experienced - video loses about 90% of the factors I discussed in translation.

Yes, I rode it, and video taped it. It was quite a disappointment, as far as I was concerned. They contained many of the same scenes, but the garish colors of The Magic Kingdom's was very off-putting to me. Its only plus was the dual track, but that certainly wasn't enough to make me want to do repeat visits.
I also visited Alien Encounter three times. And while, you're right, much of it is lost in video, the live visits left me unimpressed...except for the SIR and Skippy portion.

Monorail_Orange

^^^Fair enough. Like I said, I was really asking, it was a long time ago, and no video of my own to compare to on Toad.

As to AE, I can agree to disagree amicably. :D

I would also add, as much as we rave about AE, if the show was still there today in its original form, methinks we'd all be complaining about how stale it is.

DisneyLeo18

As much as every one on here complains, I don't think they would complain about its staleness if it were still around. AE seemed like it could grow into a classic, and every one would still love it, if it received some updates here and there.

imagineer boy

As much as every one on here complains, I don't think they would complain about its staleness if it were still around. AE seemed like it could grow into a classic, and every one would still love it, if it received some updates here and there.

Agreed. Before AE closed, it was in need of a rehab. Most notable was that SIR's eyes weren't working. There are a few effects in SGE (sparking pieces of broken hanging tech equipment, projection effects, etc) that I think would look great if used in an updated AE.

PeoplemoverTTA

... and it doesn't belong in Tomorrowland because it's a prequel to a film that takes place in the PRESENT.

Not to bash SGE, but it really bothers me that Stitch refers to himself as "Stitch" in this attraction...he wasn't named Stitch until he met Lilo, so he should be calling himself "Experiment 626." That's a big consistency error that frustrates the heck out of me.

I had high hopes for SGE, since I loved AE, and I saw clips of the Stitch animatronic on the Disney Channel (it really is an impressive animatronic)...the attraction was definitely was a let down for me, although I certainly don't begrudge anyone who enjoys it.

Fizzment

I LOVE the animatronics in SGE..they really are amazing, but that's pretty much it as far as my appreciation for it goes. IMO SGE is just an example of the parks trying to capitalize on a popular trend as quickly as possible, and skimping on the details just to get it out before the trend is over. It has the potential for being a really good attraction but they tried to cater too much to kids.. Stitch calling himself 'Stitch' is a good example. Kids know him by that name, so let's just forget the time line of the story. A good attraction doesn't have to cater to kids, look at POTC and HM. What bothers me most about SGE though is the really poor quality of the castle sequence. It looks like they forgot to update a story reel sequence they used to pitch the attraction; it is NOT up to standards. All the little things add up to something that's ok but not great.

CThaddeus

Not to bash SGE, but it really bothers me that Stitch refers to himself as "Stitch" in this attraction...he wasn't named Stitch until he met Lilo, so he should be calling himself "Experiment 626." That's a big consistency error that frustrates the heck out of me.

I was waiting for this one. As I pointed out in another thread about a year ago, it's not the first time Disney has taken liberties with timelines. Take a look at Star Tours. The story is that C-3PO and R2-D2 are working in a Star Tours facility some time AFTER "Return of the Jedi." We know this because of the "coming soon" locations in the video and C-3PO's discussions of what the two droids did while they were there. And, by the way, why aren't they with Luke anymore?
Then, you get on the starspeeder to head off to the moon of Endor, where the Death Star has suddenly been rebuilt. But, in a move that could only be chalked up to military intelligence, the Death Star has the same fatal flaw as the one from "A New Hope." Hmm. Logical? No. But you go with it because it's an entertaining attraction.
I could have gone with all of the flaws of Alien Encounter if I'd felt the show overcame them. But for me, it never did, while Stitch's Great Escape! keeps me coming back again and again.

imagineer boy

I was waiting for this one. As I pointed out in another thread about a year ago, it's not the first time Disney has taken liberties with timelines. Take a look at Star Tours. The story is that C-3PO and R2-D2 are working in a Star Tours facility some time AFTER "Return of the Jedi." We know this because of the "coming soon" locations in the video and C-3PO's discussions of what the two droids did while they were there. And, by the way, why aren't they with Luke anymore?
Then, you get on the starspeeder to head off to the moon of Endor, where the Death Star has suddenly been rebuilt. But, in a move that could only be chalked up to military intelligence, the Death Star has the same fatal flaw as the one from "A New Hope." Hmm. Logical? No. But you go with it because it's an entertaining attraction.
I could have gone with all of the flaws of Alien Encounter if I'd felt the show overcame them. But for me, it never did, while Stitch's Great Escape! keeps me coming back again and again.

The difference betwen Star Tours and SGE is that they never say when Star Tours takes place, one just assumes it takes place in a sort of cannon limbo. But for SGE, the imagineers clearly stated it takes place before the movie.

CThaddeus

The difference betwen Star Tours and SGE is that they never say when Star Tours takes place, one just assumes it takes place in a sort of cannon limbo. But for SGE, the imagineers clearly stated it takes place before the movie.

Sorry, but they do establish Star Tours as taking place AFTER "Jedi" in the queue. As mentioned in my previous post, the first preshow video brings up Tatooine, Hoth, and Endor...after which 3-PO relates plot details from IV, V, and VI. How long after Jedi the attraction occurs is not certain, but if Chewbacca and that little zippy character from the Ewok movie can be in the preshow video, then it's probably not too long after Episode VI. In any event, it doesn't matter. Neither attraction follows a pre-established time logic.
Besides, who's to say that Stitch doesn't have the ability to control human minds to a degree? Maybe he planted the name Stitch in Lilo's mind, as that was the name he chose for himself. He must have had some kind of mind altering abilities...how else could he have convinced anyone that he was a dog? Yes, I'm stretching here, but you get my meaning.
Another example is It's Tough to Be a Bug. Hopper should not be there, but he is. What are you going to do?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom