2 things I noticed about SGE

hoke2007

I'll start this out by saying that Stitch's Great Escape is a horrible attraction. But having said that, there are some redeeming things about it.

1. The two animatronics (one per each chamber) are arguable the best animatronics in Walt Disney World... it's a shame they're wasted.
2. The Galactic Anthem isn't a bad musical score.

It's a shame because SGE could've been a good attraction had they really worked on a good storyline. And that chili dog smell is just offensive.

imagineer boy

When I first rode SGE after it replaced AE, my words were, "It's cute...but it's no where near as good as AE was."

I agree the AAs are incredible (and how strange, they actually work).

SGE is very "cutesy." It has a decent storyline, and is mildly entertaining. Certainly, it beats the tar out of nothing.

AE, on the other hand, was amazingly immersive and as a result, VERY entertaining. It was scary, exciting, and hilarious. The comic relief was extremely well done both with the screen actors and the "peanut gallery guy" - ("Hey, it looks like my mother-in-law!" "No, please don't eat me! Eat this one!(kicks chair)" "Ugh! My mouth was open!") Perhaps the best part of all was AE allowed for suspended disbelief - it really COULD happen.

THAT's my problem with SGE, it's not immersive, nor does it allow for suspension of disbelief, and as a result, it's cute. It is not by any means a world-class attraction like AE.

Agreed completely! AE was one of the attractions that really got me addicted to Disney. Just the combination of story, premise, characters, scares, humor, and technology really wowed me.

The only thing SGE has going for it is the AAs. The rest is just built around them.

My first (and only) time on SGE was back in 2007 and I have no interest in doing it again. In fact we were just there last May, and never even steped foot near it. I hate smells so the chilli dog smell really bothered me. And i remember having some anxiety about the way the harness pressed on me. I did not find it an enjoyable experience and would prob never do it again.

ABigBrassBand

I miss AE :(

SGE is only good up until the actual attraction. If you watched and liked the L&S movies, you will enjoy the pre-show, but I really can't stand the actual attraction. The chilli-dog just makes me feel uncomfortable, in a bad way, unlike AE, which made me feel uncomfortable and scared in a good way.

jakeman

While the attraction itself is not my favorite and I usually choose to bypass it, I think the biggest issue I have is the lackluster retheming they did on the attraction.

A majority of the asthetics of the attraction were not updated from AE so, to me at least, there is a jarring clash of style that is severe enought to detract from the enjoyment of the attraction.

I believe that if the style of the attraction had been completely redone in the style of Lilo and Stitch, I would enjoy it much more.

headhoncho34

Original Poster
AE had an immersive environment and excellent storyline making it one of the greatest attractions ever built on WDW property. SGE only has the S.I.R and Stitch animatronics going for it. Thanks to the idiotic parents who took 4 and 5 year olds on AE and complained about its intensity we now have this crap for an attraction.

ryno1982

I miss AE :(

SGE is only good up until the actual attraction. If you watched and liked the L&S movies, you will enjoy the pre-show, but I really can't stand the actual attraction. The chilli-dog just makes me feel uncomfortable, in a bad way, unlike AE, which made me feel uncomfortable and scared in a good way.

Agreed. Each time I do SGE (which is only twice in 6 years), I get through the preshow and am thoroughly entertained. It does a good job setting up the attraction, but the actual show is flat and I leave vowing never to waste 15 minutes of my life ever again.

Testtrack321

While the attraction itself is not my favorite and I usually choose to bypass it, I think the biggest issue I have is the lackluster retheming they did on the attraction.

A majority of the asthetics of the attraction were not updated from AE so, to me at least, there is a jarring clash of style that is severe enought to detract from the enjoyment of the attraction.

I believe that if the style of the attraction had been completely redone in the style of Lilo and Stitch, I would enjoy it much more.

This is one of the major flaws that has been significantly understated. When going through the ride you don't know if you should be scared, laughing, or whatever. One end you have a slap happy SIR that "oils himself", then right after that you are pushed through a dark, scary, hybrid organic/metal hallway into a giant theater. The equipment is loud, scary, and unsettling. Then the cartoons come on and Stitch burps and then runs away to the castle. WHAT THE HECK?

I have never seen a ride that has such a horrible split personality problem.

And can we lay off of Monsters Inc? Sure Timekeeper has some of the best scripting and footage in any Disney attraction ever, but Monsters Inc does deliver. And yes, I agree, it shouldn't be placed in Tomorrowland, but it doesn't make it *bad*. SGE, no matter where it is, will still be BAD.

adv.bluedude

And can we lay off of Monsters Inc? Sure Timekeeper has some of the best scripting and footage in any Disney attraction ever, but Monsters Inc does deliver. And yes, I agree, it shouldn't be placed in Tomorrowland, but it doesn't make it *bad*. SGE, no matter where it is, will still be BAD.

I personally dont think it delivers. I find it to be one of those rides that your dont want to ride again after one ride.

Testtrack321

I personally dont think it delivers. I find it to be one of those rides that your dont want to ride again after one ride.

That's actually funny (no pun intended). We came into it thinking we were going to think the same way and were blown away by it. Maybe it's our (my family and friends) style of humor, or it could be that "one good show" that got us hooked, but we find that we visit it at least twice a visit.

Again, it's all up to the person's personal tastes, which is what makes discussing Disney attractions fun yet a pain! :brick:

imagineer boy

So true! I never really thought of that until you brought it up. One moment you're in a cartoony world, then you're suddenly walking through a cyberpunk world! Doesn't fit the feel of the Stitch movies at all.

The ending is so horrible as well. Stitch escapes, they fire you and kick you out! Leaves you feeling happy and satisfied doesn't it?

Glasgow

The ride already stinks so bad they ultimtely decided that having the chili dog effect is overkill and redundant.

FullJr

On my visit to this ride in the right chamber on March 18th I noticed that the audio-visual TV Sync is off, the audio / AA sync was fine. Also, the gun on the right had its top light not working. The chambers look very grimy and nasty if you really look at it. I am although a odd ball and like the attraction, but that being said I have never experienced any of the others that have taken this space in Tommorowland.

Monorail_Orange

On my visit to this ride in the right chamber on March 18th I noticed that the audio-visual TV Sync is off, the audio / AA sync was fine. Also, the gun on the right had its top light not working. The chambers look very grimy and nasty if you really look at it. I am although a odd ball and like the attraction, but that being said I have never experienced any of the others that have taken this space in Tommorowland.

More than likely that's why you like it, nothing to compare it with. IMHO, even Mission to Mars was a better attraction than SGE. :shrug:

Raven66

That's actually funny (no pun intended). We came into it thinking we were going to think the same way and were blown away by it. Maybe it's our (my family and friends) style of humor, or it could be that "one good show" that got us hooked, but we find that we visit it at least twice a visit.

Again, it's all up to the person's personal tastes, which is what makes discussing Disney attractions fun yet a pain! :brick:

My family and I are the same way. We enjoy this attraction. We also visit it at least twice a visit.

DisneyParksFan

AE, on the other hand, was amazingly immersive and as a result, VERY entertaining. It was scary, exciting, and hilarious. The comic relief was extremely well done both with the screen actors and the "peanut gallery guy" - ("Hey, it looks like my mother-in-law!" "No, please don't eat me! Eat this one!(kicks chair)" "Ugh! My mouth was open!") Perhaps the best part of all was AE allowed for suspended disbelief - it really COULD happen.

Thank you for bringing this up! This and the part featuring the security guards above the room were genius...IMO. These parts allowed one to completely immerse themselves in the attraction. They helped to represent that "this could happen" idea that you mentioned.

I felt that AE was a truly creative attraction that should be regarded as a classic. It's a shame that it was replaced with, well...something that represents an attraction.

The thing that I do not understand about SGE is that it arrived after the movie...which shows that Stitch is actually a kind creature BUT the attraction is only based on how destructive he is. Talk about confusing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom