Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Now the main reason we were going to Epcot that night was because I scored a fast pass for frozen beginning at 8:50 PM. But earlier in the day, I saw this:

IMG_3518.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

SSH

Yup...our FP for Frozen was that same night - about an hour after yours - ended up waiting in a pretty long fastpass line when it reopened later that night. One thing I didn't realize about Epcot: everything food and drink related - and I mean EVERYTHING - shuts down right at park closing - nothing was open for the 2 extra magic hours that night that we could find. Unless we missed it? I asked a few castmembers as we wanted coffee or a drink, but they said all food and beverage service closes and is not avail for extra magic hours. I always remember a few places being open in the past.

MK was definitely crowded last night, but so much better from 11 to 1am. I was hoping for cooler weather this trip, as I get more than my fill of summer year round down here! But I'm sure it was a delight for those flying in.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
OK Tuesday night at Epcot – after a couple of shots of Crown at the room, I want to say we got there around 7 PM. The frozen fast pass looked normal again. We did not have formal plans for dinner, but wanted to try the special little bites around the world. Now from what I have read, I got the impression this was not the first year they did this? Or was it? We were here last year around the same time and don't remember any little food and wine type booths.

Either way I have to say, we were very pleased with the booths and thought they were better than food and wine. They were also better than flower and garden. They were bigger portions, reasonable prices, fewer in number, and we just liked them better than what we've been getting at the other festivals lately.

At first we were being picky, walking past the first few booths. We stopped a moment in the UK to see the tail end of the British revolution show. They were actually good.

IMG_3520.JPG

I felt a little bad for them because they didn't get much applause, and at the end, the announcer said you could come up to the stage and meet them, but mostly everyone was walking away. That has to be a bummer.

Then we walked by this giant Christmas teapot
IMG_3522.JPG
which I thought was hysterical because I had just ordered matching mugs to go with my mother-in-law's entire set with this pattern!
IMG_3609.JPG

So we texted her a picture of the teapot and asked if she had that piece but told her it was a good 4 feet high LOL.

The first thing we tried was the duck confit which was absolutely excellent, and some kind of frozen alcoholic concoction with tea and apple that was surprisingly good. Wait, here is the whole thing about the tea and apple:
IMG_3523.JPG

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Now, I may get some of this out of order. The countries were not as clear as during food and wine. Especially with the two shots of Crown and some chocolate apple stuff. (drinking at Epcot, oh the horror!)

We stopped in the Japanese pavillion and store, which I don't remember doing lately (ever?) and found out that hello Kitty has a last name and may be related to Betty White?

IMG_3526.JPG

Also she makes square lip balm

IMG_3524.JPG

We did stop to watch the trains and walk through the middle of them, but I think most of my pictures didn't come out.
IMG_3528.JPG

And then we were behind a scooter gang
IMG_3532.JPG

There were like four or five of them in a row!

By now we were hungry and thirsty and every booth seems to have a crummy version of alcoholic eggnog that was more about a brand than a flavor. We did not go for any of those. And I don't remember which happened first, but we found ourselves back at the beginning where the tree is
IMG_3519.JPG

And had a fantastic sandwich that was basically all of Thanksgiving dinner in one bite – it was a nice piece of turkey on cranberry bread with mashed potatoes and gravy right on the sandwich. We loved it. But I don't think we got a drink there. We walked up a little further to try to find a booth with a decent drink but it was getting too close to our frozen fast pass time, so we reversed course and headed back to Norway.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Now, for all you Frozenstrom haters, here it is:

First, it was dark, the area was not lit, and there were two lines: one very long line, and one very short line. You could see the posted wait time was 110 minutes. You could also see tons of people walking backwards out of the short line. Why? Because the fastpass line was the long line. It was a more than 30 minute wait, I'm guessing because things got backed up when the ride was apparently down earlier in the day.

With that said, and without reservation - I loved it!!

Now, I have seen the movie exactly one time on cable quite some time ago, and may or may not ever see it again. (That's context, folks.)

And I liked Maelstrom well enough, but it was never great. It was just the best ride in World Showcase, which to be grammatically correct should really be the better ride in World Showcase, because the only other ride in World Showcase is Los Tres Caballeros. (I remember the first time I ever went to Epcot - going to Mexico, Norway and...hey, where are the rides in these other countries? wth?)

You've probably heard it all, but there was a moment of actual excitement where I could not stop myself from smiling and it was at the top where Elsa is singing the song that is supposed to be so annoying and I should be so sick of, but I really thought it was fabulous.

The ride is so well done. And it kept just the right touches from the original. If I had to make any minor criticisms to the imagineers: the projections on the left and right walls could be sharper, and the first Anna animatronic should move. She looked a little, er, frozen.

Olaf was a hoot, and he and the moose were exceptionally well-done. Everything had that cartoon-y feel. If Walt wanted us to ride the movie, this was riding the cartoon to a tee. The animatronics are the technology of the Seven Dwarfs, but I feel they improved upon it somehow. It was seamless. Brilliant. The up, the down, the splash, all of it. Well done, worth the wait. We thought we might do it again if we were lucky, since it was extra magic hours and all, but we exited the ride less than 10 minutes before Illuminations started.

Illuminations has long been a favorite of mine - correction, THE favorite of mine. I don't even watch Wishes, like ever. I like Fantasmic and will watch it once every other year or so. But Illuminations carries emotional weight for me, always has, especially when I saw it right after 9/11. I knew there was a holiday ending and wanted to see it. We've half-heartedly watched the show a few times recently through crummy tree-blocked views and even the back of the fastpass area, ho-hum. I really wanted an unobstructed view for this, and we found one after walking from Norway towards the Christmas tree again. And luckily, we got behind short people. Loved the show, loved the ending, got choked up for the first time in years. I feel a very negative vibe in the country since the election I keep pretending didn't happen, and keep ignoring by still not watching the news (which is crazy.) Anyway, the new administration will be against me and my family. And I just deleted several sentences because it was too much. The point is, "We Go On" gets to me. And we do, and we will. And those fireworks are as emotional as the music.

So now it's 9:45 and we've over-abstained from drinking far too long. But extra magic hours, right? Not so much. As @SSH stated, everything was closed. The booths were closed, the carts were closed. We thought, let's just run into Mexico for a drink and an appetizer, or even if the restaurant closed, the tequila bar will be open, right? Nope. The tequila door was closed just as we neared it, and the restaurant was only taking their final customers with reservations. So the "quick drink in Mexico to wait on line for Frozen again" idea bit the dust. We didn't want to keep walking around just to find everything closed, and were more interested in sustenance than Nemo or Spaceship Earth. So we exited. Not so Magic Hours LOL. What was the point of 90 minutes past Illuminations if everything closed anyway?

But the main takeaway of this post - to the naysayers of Frozen - just stop it. It's an awesome freaking ride, better than anything in new Fantasyland, and I don't care if they put an IP in World Showcase. More, please. (ducking tomatoes.)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Stopped in a shop on the way out – almost bought this ornament
IMG_3533.JPG
but thought it was kind of big. I wanted something for now to put on the little Charlie Brown Christmas tree and then take home for the big tree.

On the hook directly below it, was the glitter Mickey Santa hat that we bought last year that broke when our little 4 foot tree fell over. Not falling for that ornament again! Tree killer! (even though we have a floor-to-ceiling tree this year LOL.) Not falling for it!

One thing I will say on the AA (Annoying Alcohol) thread is the resort bars and lounges really do need to stay open later especially in relation to the parks schedule. Even leaving Epcot around 10 made it nearly impossible to get to our home resort's lounge which closed at 11. For a moment we thought about driving to our favorite Caribbean beach pool bar which is open until midnight, but sometimes they close early, and we didn't feel like driving over for nothing. The Saratoga Springs bar is kind of a bummer. There's no place to sit and talk to the bartender or other vacationers. There's a pool table, blah blah blah. Why waste money on a good drink there when we were practically back at the room with our own special bottle of crown? But the gift shop was attached. I decided to check for a Saratoga Springs related ornament. Found one! I was so glad I didn't have to use a pin or a keychain this time LOL. It was a legit Christmas ornament. Brian got us a couple of sandwiches – mine was a really nice lobster sandwich, and we went back to the room and made our own drinks.

I added the ornament to our little Charlie Brown tree and moved it over to the top of the TV to be safe.

IMG_3539.JPG

And here's a close-up as it has been promoted to our big tree at home - Front and back – again nice tie in to my dad now permanently in our tree ornament collection.

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

And with that, Brian was out like a light and I was shortly after doing a little light work on the computer.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So, Wednesday - the last full day! Boo. On the agenda: most importantly, seeing my friend Gwyn at the Flying Fish for an informal drinking/food sampling get together. (Or so we thought.) We had heard from her the night before and she said we would meet at the Fish around 5PM. So I actually didn't mind relaxing that day. I somehow slept until 10AM, which is absolutely kooky for me (yes, I woke up at 3AM and stayed up past 5AM, but still...) I didn't mind if we relaxed - I liked the resort that much, it was warm enough (low 80's, Hallelujah!) to sit by the pool, and so, for the first time in ever - I sat by a Disney pool.

Also for the first time in ever, we didn't pack bathing suits.

Every time we go, I tell Brian, "Make sure you pack your bathing suit, you never know." I think one day we might end up in the pool at night, or in a hot tub area, or even take a break in the afternoon and take a dip - never happened. This time, neither of us even thought to bring a bathing suit, we were thinking about long-sleeved shirts.

I had a pair of gym shorts, which were fine. Brian only had cargo shorts. I offered to go to the gift shop and spring for a bathing suit for him, but he didn't want one. So we were near the pool, on comfy chaise lounges, watching the Disney Springs balloon go up and down and slightly move. The weather was beautiful, not too hot, got a little color, back to the room for a drink and back to the chaise. But we never went into the pool. And it was one of the little pools so there was no pool bar. Not complaining, it was perfect. Getting back to the room was like 10 steps. And mission accomplished, we didn't look pale-faced anymore.

It was so uncharacteristic of me to be so blase about it - not planning anything, not feeling like we were missing out on anything, just seriously relaxing and enjoying the moment. I gave up on my second Christmas surprise being a surprise - the chestnuts - because when I googled how to roast them, there were too many variations and I figured I'd mess it up. (I'm not an instinctive cook by any means. I need a recipe.) Brian OTOH is good with all that. He put them in for X minutes at X00 degrees and I asked, "How did you know how to do that?" And he answered that he had simply read the directions on the tag at the top of the net-bag thingy they came in.

Anyway, they came out great, and continuing my day of ease, we went back to Disney Springs for a late lunch or even just picking just for the sake of taking the boat from our room to lunch. Nevermind, Overthinking Tony, that we could go to Disney Springs on any Sunday or anytime we didn't even have park tickets, I didn't care. The boat thing was still a first, and so was finally going to Jock Lindsey's.

Jock Lindsey's sucked.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
The decor was cool. Being inside of anything Indiana Jones related was cool. Here's some of the cool stuff:
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG

Our waitress was less cool. She kind of had an attitude. From the get go, I was interested in a bourbon drink that came with both sour mix and simple syrup, which I thought would be a little too sweet for me so I asked for just a teeny bit of the simple syrup because I don't like really sweet drinks and also those will be the first ones to make you sick.

She argued that it isn't sweet and she likes it the way it is. Well, my version of sweet tends to differ from the average American diet. I have almost no processed sugar in my general diet. So "normal" sweet tastes kind of very sweet to me. I don't know what the result of our discussion was, I don't know what I received. It tasted good, and I didn't want to push it further.

Brian ordered some kind of monkey drink that came in a monkey cup. It had a few juices in it - like watermelon juice, something else juice LOL and rum. it was very good and surprisingly not sweet, probably because the watermelon thins it out.

We ordered two small plates to start, which is basically all they have are small plates, and we thought based on those we might order more.

We picked the ahi tuna tacos and the brisket sliders. Grumpy cat the waitress asked if we would like fresh squeezed lime juice on the tacos. That sounded great.

That was not great.

She must have just picked a bad lime, because the tacos had such a bad flavor we had to force ourselves to finish them. Actually there were three tacos and three sliders. I insisted on eating two of the tacos to spare Brian the awfulness of the tacos LOL. I actually apologized for bringing him there at all and confessed we would not even be there if it wasn't for how damned sexy Harrison Ford was in that second Indiana Jones movie. Of course, there is no trace of Harrison Ford anywhere in this building.

We weren't mad or upset - if anything we were just kind of making fun of the situation. But needless to say, we did not order more appetizers. We just got the check and left.

Since it was now just after three, and we were to meet the others around five, and especially since the boat dock was right there, we decided to boat back to get ready for a fun night.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
The boat situation was slightly confusing, because it does not drop you off where it picked you up. It picked us up pretty close to our room and in a place we knew how to get to and back from. It dropped us off near the bar/gift shop place, which was a longer walk and we were less sure of our direction (especially me, Mr. Nosenseofdirection.)

We got back to the room, and within minutes got a text from Gwyn saying that Craig had the night off from Flying Fish and they were at Disney Springs LOL. I told her we had just left there, so they all got on the boat to come to our Villa. Ta-da! I had to walk out there to meet them or they'd never know how to get to our room (as they have no numbers on the outside of anything.) In the meantime, they insisted on getting a drink from the bar to bring along.

I kind of felt bad we didn't have much to offer them - Crown? Chestnuts? LOL. It's funny - when we stay off property with a kitchen, we stop at Publix and get the basics. Here, we never went off property to pass by a Publix and grab stuff. We brought stuff from home - chips, nuts, carrots, mixers. But really not much to offer.

So we had Gwyn, Gwyn's sister, Gwyns' sister's daughter who is married to Craig the bartender from FF, plus Craig and their 2 year old kid.

We had a really nice visit until just before 7 - it turns out Craig's wife is good friends with our fave Tune-In bartender (It's a small world, after all) when they headed back to DS with my instructions to see the drone show.

And in the next post you will see a pic of me and Gwyn, because if you haven't noticed, you're basically getting a post of mostly pics and then a post of mostly text because I am going back and forth between my phone and laptop.:facepalm:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Gwyn and I have been friends for around 25 years. She was my boss at a pharmacy in New Jersey where I started when I was 20 years old. She and I were there when I got the call that my father had suddenly passed from a heart attack at age 45. She and a few others drove the better part of an hour to come to the wake even though I had known them less than a year.

She is the one I may have mentioned who hated Halloween because her mom died on Halloween. And one year she invited a select few of us to a secret Halloween party, which for obvious reasons we thought was very odd. She had just come back from a cruise and she told us to meet at the pharmacy parking lot, where a bus picked us up and we had no idea where we were going.

It turned out to be a wedding reception. She had gotten married on the boat and she and her husband arrived dressed as Frankenstein and the bride of Frankenstein. I can't tell you how much I love that she took a painful time and turned it into a joyous time. It's brilliant and reflects such spirit.

IMG_3556.JPG

So that's Gwyn and myself - and here are a couple of pics of the drone show from our little patio area after they left:
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG

Now, I swear there's a portion of that drone show, represented by the top picture, that pays homage to the Osborne lights show. I could be wrong, but it definitely reminds me of that. The same music, similar flashing shapes, etc.

So now here it was our last night, no dinner yet, plans all changed. Magic Kingdom was open until 11 PM with extra magic until 1 AM. It was already after seven. What to do?

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So again to nod to the AA thread, we decided not to go to dinner at Magic Kingdom because number one: no alcohol and number two: not really great places to eat.

So I decided to do basically what I had tentatively planned for Thursday morning before our departure: I made a reservation at the grand Floridian café, and took Brian to dinner there and to see the gingerbread house. And I told him that's where we would be spending our 10 year anniversary, and we explored some of the first floor but wanted to leave most of the building unseen until that trip.

Dinner was very nice. He had the ravioli and I had the salmon. Both were great. I probably wouldn't recommend the shrimp cocktail starter, as at $16 it worked out to four dollars per shrimp LOL. But it was good and had a nice avocado citrus salad with it.

We used our annual passholder discount again, and I think I keep forgetting to mention we really aren't missing tables in Wonderland so far. There were only two times we could have used it – one was for the sandwiches at the gift shop which was a negligible purchase, and I can't remember the other one right now. But for most meals we got the 20% off food with the annual pass, which was nice - and off the ornament as well.

The grounds really are gorgeous and we are very much looking forward to staying there.

I did buy a shingle, although wasn't initially thrilled with it. it tasted better the next day LOL. Then I had to go back to the booth because the pamphlet I picked up showed they had no sugar added cookies, so I went back for those for my husband. I love when I can find special stuff for him that is not just a token bland sugar-free puck.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So it turned out to be a lovely, relaxing, romantic night. Early to bed, and of course I woke up in the middle of the night to start packing and then went back to bed.

In the morning, we finished packing while taking turns in the fab tub, and got to the Magic Kingdom around 10 AM. Maybe shouldn't have done that, and it up making the whole day rushed – still it's always worth it.

I wanted to go on big thunder Mountain Railroad ever since I read that article about kidney stones LOL. I think I'm in the clear in that department, but I figured this would prove it one way or the other.

They say the back car is the most bumpy and therefore recommended for this particular purpose. So this was my view:
IMG_3583.JPG

Yes, the very first car. By myself. Brian decided to sit this one out. We were both slightly concerned about both of our backs.

But of course, the front car is not that bumpy! But I had my second exciting moment of the trip on a ride. Thoroughly enjoyed it, hands up and woo-ing!

And then the journey home begins – on the ferry, going past The GF
IMG_3586.JPG

Bye for now, GF!

And home to the puppy. And how sweet was Trysch The puppy sitter to leave this gift full of gifts for Kylie!?
IMG_3587.JPG

Bones, toys, treats – the works!

And we didn't spend anything from our last green number post. So our savings are the same.

Next trip tentatively planned for early May after Record Store Day in April - tied in with a music biz convention in Nashville, which may include a stop in Atlanta.

And – bummer – on the way home, in the car, getting work done, I saw an email from Disney with a bounce back code that would have worked before we checked out. It's the first one we ever received, and we blew it LOL.

But realistically, even though I have September already booked through Disney, I'm probably going to rebook it through DVC rental to save money, so it doesn't really matter.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
OK Tuesday night at Epcot – after a couple of shots of Crown at the room, I want to say we got there around 7 PM. The frozen fast pass looked normal again. We did not have formal plans for dinner, but wanted to try the special little bites around the world. Now from what I have read, I got the impression this was not the first year they did this? Or was it? We were here last year around the same time and don't remember any little food and wine type booths.

Either way I have to say, we were very pleased with the booths and thought they were better than food and wine. They were also better than flower and garden. They were bigger portions, reasonable prices, fewer in number, and we just liked them better than what we've been getting at the other festivals lately.

At first we were being picky, walking past the first few booths. We stopped a moment in the UK to see the tail end of the British revolution show. They were actually good.

View attachment 180154

I felt a little bad for them because they didn't get much applause, and at the end, the announcer said you could come up to the stage and meet them, but mostly everyone was walking away. That has to be a bummer.

Then we walked by this giant Christmas teapot View attachment 180155 which I thought was hysterical because I had just ordered matching mugs to go with my mother-in-law's entire set with this pattern!View attachment 180156

So we texted her a picture of the teapot and asked if she had that piece but told her it was a good 4 feet high LOL.

The first thing we tried was the duck confit which was absolutely excellent, and some kind of frozen alcoholic concoction with tea and apple that was surprisingly good. Wait, here is the whole thing about the tea and apple: View attachment 180158

That's not the ideal location for a band. I've often felt bad for bands playing in that small yard area, as they don't get the crowds that the open area bands get (such as the stage over by Canada, for example). I also realize that some people just pass through and move along, but I've often stopped to say hello to band members after a break in their songs (or at the end) and thank them. It's not easy to play to an audience that just walks away.

The teapot was awesome! I recognize that -- Spode. That's a famous Christmas pattern of theirs.

That tea looked delicious!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It's an awesome freaking ride, better than anything in new Fantasyland, and I don't care if they put an IP in World Showcase. More, please. (ducking tomatoes.)

Glad you enjoyed the ride. I'll go on it the next time I visit WDW (which is usually once a year). But as for ducking tomatoes--you're right about that! ;) (It doesn't belong in Norway!)

And home to the puppy. And how sweet was Trysch The puppy sitter to leave this gift full of gifts for Kylie!?
img_3587-jpg.180219

Oh, that is precious! How nice is your puppy sitter to do that?! :cat:

Lastly, about the Jock Lindsey's bar, that was ridiculous. Wait staff know enough to adjust drinks or food to a customer's expectations (within reason, of course), to ensure a good tip. I don't "get" how the waitress could be argumentative, when it's her livelihood to please the patrons. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Oh, about the Grand Flo--those were some very nice photos you shared. That is such a lovely property and happy to hear that you and Brian enjoyed your visit.

The "murder" of the Crown Royal was funny! :p

SSH

Enjoyed your TR - we were at several of the same places, nearly at the same time. And despite my husband who's not nearly as keen on the idea, we'll also be back in May. (Sorry hon!:hilarious:)

But I promise we're not stalking you. :D

I have to say I was a wee bit disappointed with Frozen. Sacrilege, I know! I definitely liked the movie and the ride was fun, don't get me wrong. But maybe because it was so hyped up, I was expecting a little more. I saw several blank walls/dead spots in plain view that you never see in most disney dark rides - usually wherever the eye can see, there's theming to fill the space. That probably sounds overly picky...but it kind of jarred me out of the experience. And Dean, who isn't nearly the Disney nerd I am, said the same thing. But we're definitely the odd one out with that opinion - most people seem to really love it.

Now that we're passholders again, I may treat myself to one of those behind the scenes MK tours when we go back in May - never did that in all the years we've been going and I think we get a discount?

By the way - if anyone has ever thought about a side trip to Crystal River, just updating you that the snorkeling with manatee excursion was wonderful. Less than 90 min drive time from WDW and a unique experience. We did this on a Sunday morning, before visiting WDW. It did involve leaving a warm, cozy bed at 5:30am to be on the first morning tour departing at 7am, which is the "best" time to go apparently. :in pain:

It was 55 degrees that particular morning and I think I drank a gallon of coffee to wake me up enough to deal with donning a bathing suit, wet suit and boarding that boat. Soooo cold. But it is definitely worth it! Just to see and swim with these gorgeous animals up close in the wild. It's not like dolphin swims or other forced animal interactions. This is 100% natural - you go into their world, just float and stay very still and let the manatees come to you if they want to. And they do. We'll definitely do it again.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Enjoyed your TR - we were at several of the same places, nearly at the same time. And despite my husband who's not nearly as keen on the idea, we'll also be back in May. (Sorry hon!:hilarious:)

But I promise we're not stalking you. :D

I have to say I was a wee bit disappointed with Frozen. Sacrilege, I know! I definitely liked the movie and the ride was fun, don't get me wrong. But maybe because it was so hyped up, I was expecting a little more. I saw several blank walls/dead spots in plain view that you never see in most disney dark rides - usually wherever the eye can see, there's theming to fill the space. That probably sounds overly picky...but it kind of jarred me out of the experience. And Dean, who isn't nearly the Disney nerd I am, said the same thing. But we're definitely the odd one out with that opinion - most people seem to really love it.

Now that we're passholders again, I may treat myself to one of those behind the scenes MK tours when we go back in May - never did that in all the years we've been going and I think we get a discount?

By the way - if anyone has ever thought about a side trip to Crystal River, just updating you that the snorkeling with manatee excursion was wonderful. Less than 90 min drive time from WDW and a unique experience. We did this on a Sunday morning, before visiting WDW. It did involve leaving a warm, cozy bed at 5:30am to be on the first morning tour departing at 7am, which is the "best" time to go apparently. :in pain:

It was 55 degrees that particular morning and I think I drank a gallon of coffee to wake me up enough to deal with donning a bathing suit, wet suit and boarding that boat. Soooo cold. But it is definitely worth it! Just to see and swim with these gorgeous animals up close in the wild. It's not like dolphin swims or other forced animal interactions. This is 100% natural - you go into their world, just float and stay very still and let the manatees come to you if they want to. And they do. We'll definitely do it again.

Sometimes it really is a game of expectations. I was not expecting as much as I got out of Frozen. Maybe it's just that simple, and why it nearly blew me away. I expected more out of SDMT, and found it underwhelming.

And I take your point about dead wall space.

Love the manatee idea, I wonder if we have that down here. I know we have manatees.

Re: the tours: yes, we get a discount on most of them. I did the Keys To The Kingdom tour probably more than 15 years ago and loved it. I think it's around $100 per person now and includes a decent lunch.

A mini version of that is the Marceline tour, which is also focused on MK, overlaps the KTTK tour in several spots, but it's shorter (in a good way) and doesn't include lunch. We were one of the last tours before Snow White closed, and got to ride it with the lights on. (Egad!) The Marceline tour is considerably less expensive, something like $39 per person (?) and I think the better value of the two and "enough."

That said, I'm considering the KTTK tour again in September because Brian has never done it, and something doesn't sound quite as fabulous about the Epcot tours - although I want them to be just as fabulous LOL. I will debate that with myself in the coming months.

Maybe we'll finally see you in May! (It may be a quick one-day on the way up to Nashville, and one day on the way back, depending on whether we are bringing the dog, etc.)

Despite the AP's, I actually don't want to overdo it this year. I want us to be a little hungry for it and missing it by the time we go for September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom