Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So, the boring part: we did not get out of the room early. We relax a bit. Then we drove up to get his car, and I must recommend Tuffys on Landstar. They did a fantastic job and went more out of their way than I ever would've expected for out-of-towners they're likely to never see again. They saved us $1300 on the repair, which is incredible. Even after ordering the new part from the dealer, they continued searching local junkyards and found one. Just fantastic on their parts.

Then we returned the rental, and I strategically chose a rental place with an address featuring the word "maingate" thinking it would be near Disney World, and it was.

And Tuvalu - no monorail!! Egads. I just don't get it.

So after a very warm ferry ride, we got to MK just in time for the last few minutes of our FP window.

But first,

image.jpeg

Move it, shake it. OK, but I kept thinking, "This sounds like a song by Pink." Yep. Pretty sure Disney stole "Raise Your Glass" or something.

Now, we are not really parade people, but we wouldn't mind seeing a few things we hadn't seen before. Unfortunately, since we were walking up main street to get to peter pan before our fastpass expired, we basically just saw this one float the entire way.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Do you listen to the trip reports? I did one a while back!

Also, you didn't miss much with Move it, Shake it. I don't get that thing...it's so weird. Kids seem to love it though, so whatever.

I tend to like the "listener questions" ones, and sometimes they have interesting odd ones. I only like the trip reports if it's somewhere I wanted to stay, etc. LOL.

And I know there's another one besides BOG but can't find it anymore.

Well, at least there's a bunch of previous posts that made for good reading!! (P.S.: I loved the photo of Kylie with her FACE in the treats box at Petsmart!! My dog, Jack, does the same thing--no manners!! :joyfull: )

Normally, I wouldn't let her do that. But we had been walking all around the store (avoiding the pet check-in area to avoid other pets - she's not bad with them or anything, but she will cry until she gets to go say hello, and some pet parents don't like that, so we just walk the aisles.)

I'm often surprised by how much she does not notice - bags of food, toys, etc. (and at home - the TV, dogs barking next door, etc.) because she's usually more interested in sniffing where presumably other dogs have peed at some point or another. But this display caught her attention. So after her shots, she deserved a knuckle!

Tony, I'm sitting on pins and needles wondering how your Liberty Tree Tavern lunch was..... :cat:

The pins are fine. Get off the needles, they can pinch. :eek:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Made it to Peter Pan just in time for our FP (which I had just booked that morning. Tell me again how you have to wake up at 6am on the nth day of whatever month in advance...) While standing on line for PP, I booked the next FP. At first, it was Jungle Cruise (I was trying to keep everything in an easy flow, rather than criss-crossing all over the place.) Then, as I looked for a third FP, Haunted Mansion showed up during Jungle Cruise time (it hadn't just a moment prior.) So I canceled JC and booked HM. As I kept re-searching, various times would pop up and go away (and sometimes come back again) a few minutes later. It also mattered whether you searched by "afternoon" vs. "1PM." But here comes our flying ship, so that 3rd FP will have to wait (and will we even stay in MK that long? The original plan was to take a nice afternoon nap soon after lunch.)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
As we walked from Peter Pan to liberty tree, we passed by the haunted mansion and I was really glad to have gotten that fast pass! You can't really see the actual line behind the people walking, but the line was out this far. I rarely see that.

image.jpeg

... And it was getting cloudy.

Liberty tree said they were running about 20 minutes behind. My name was on the reservation, so I was secretly enjoying the thought of the poor cast member who would have to try to pronounce it at some point.

At 1:30 ( right on time for 20 minutes behind ) we got the text that our table was ready, I walked over to the counter, and mercifully rescued the young lady who looked down, and looked up, and was about to give it a shot. She and I both laughed about that. But she attempted and was actually quite close. I just typed out and then deleted all the details because I remembered some people hate me around here LOL. So maybe they shouldn't be able to find me on Facebook.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Our first time eating at Liberty Tree Tavern. (I wasn't even 100% sure if it was our first time until we walked in the door.) We were seated in the Benjamin Franklin room.

We were not starving, not particularly flush with cash, and none of the appetizers screamed "must do," so we skipped that. (Although I might try that lobster & crab dip one day.)

I am a bit of a pork nut (and usually eat 90% vegetarian, but all bets are off at The World.) (My favorite is still the pulled pork sandwich with Caribbean relish at CBR. We stop there sometimes just to grab one for the ride home.)

So naturally, I ordered the Liberty Boys sandwich. Copied from the menu: Slow-roasted Pork, Arugula, and Tomatoes on House-made Bread with Caramelized Shallots, Pickled Jalapeños and a Mushroom-Mayonnaise Spread

It was delish. I was not sure about the mushroom-mayo spread, since I'm generally not a mayo guy (except on canned tuna) and generally not a mushroom guy (it's the texture. I like them raw in a salad. I like them chopped tiny to flavor something cooked. I don't like big chunks of slimy, mushy mushrooms in an entree.) so I asked our server if I could get that on the side. He obliged. The shallots (a highlight - I love anything onion-y, especially sweet onion-y) were also served on the side - so, not sure if that is how they usually are served, or if my request about the mayo prompted this. I did not notice any pickled jalapenos and immediately thought of Tuvalu and her menu misadventures at various locations LOL. But I didn't say anything.

The pork itself was good - nice to have a pork sandwich that isn't BBQ for a change. I tasted the mushroom mayo and it was OK. I did make a point of taking one bite with both the shallots and mayo on it so I could see what the chef was going for. I get it. Made sense. Now, Brian has been known to dip fries in mayo, so I offered him mine (thinking it would be an upgrade from regular mayo) but he did not care for it.

Loved the homemade bread (and I'm not a big bread lover, especially "sliced bread" vs. a nice roll.) I was a little surprised to realize it was not pulled pork, but sliced. Still tasted great. Overall, big thumbs up on the sandwich, although I didn't finish it. For some reason, I went crazy on the fries (which were great) before taking the first bite of the sandwich. And I'm noticing I can't take too much sweet lately (reminiscent of the Flying Fish scallop dish.) I wonder if it has anything to do with my bizarre health lately, or if these dishes are just really sweet.

As much as I hinted to Brian that I thought the pot roast sounded really good (we always taste each others' stuff) he went as I thought he might and got the fish and chips. (So "ho hum" to me, but he had no complaints.) Sometimes I have to remind him to not just get something lower-priced and get what he really likes. We're using points!! (Except I actually forgot to use the points. We used TiW and paid with the Disney Visa. Just complete absent-mindedness.)

So, overall thumbs up for Liberty Tree, although not in a hurry to go back right away. (hmmm...Lobster dip...pot roast...)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
By now the sky was very dark and it was a little more than drizzling. We didn't feel like breaking out the ponchos this early especially for this light rain. So we would quickly make our way to the next covered area, and quickly saw the hall of presidents - perfect! Rain away.

Brian fell asleep in there as always. I had a surprising experience. I did not fall asleep. In addition, at the end, when President Obama spoke, I got seriously choked up. I've seen him before in this show and that never happened before. Maybe it's because he's going to be gone soon. I don't really know. And typically I would make fun of anyone else getting choked up at this show or similar things and even be suspicious that they were full of it. I guess not anymore. Always learning.

Still a heavy drizzle or light rain, depending on how you look at it, when we got out. We made our way to the mansion, stopping briefly under whatever available shelter. The dark sky was an awesome backdrop for the mansion but I did not take pics of that. I did, however, take one pic of the lovely covering:

image.jpeg

Hey, it's temporary. Got to do what must be done. Also, Punky Brewster has not aged well.

This is my favorite ride. I don't know whether they are constantly slightly altering things or whether I am just noticing new details every time because I consciously try to look in different directions.

We made it all the way through the ride without stopping except at the very end. In front of the screens where the ghosts explode your head and stuff, our doom buggy got stuck between two screens, so we never saw anything happen – although I'm hearing that feature has not been working lately anyway?

As had been happening all day, the timing of our fast passes have been working out perfectly. And while we waited for our lunch, I booked the third one at Buzz lightyear.

Brian always kicks my butt in this. I never can tell where my little red dot is aimed. He is half blind from diabetes (exaggeration) and I rarely win. But it's fun and it's a ride that is not the same every time. And it's near the carousel, my other favorite, which I could not miss this time. On the way, we split up for just a moment, and then - I saw him across a crowded theme park...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So handsome… Pardon me while I swoon a moment.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And… Excuse me, lady – can you get out of my shot of Tigger and Pooh?

image.jpeg

You can barely see her in between them LOL.

image.jpeg

Thank you!

We were a few minutes early – as perfectly planned – for buzz, so onto the carousel. First time we saw the new colors. I like them!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The new colors reminded me I was supposed to look for some new painted rocks or something, but by the time the ride was over, I had forgotten.

Because I am TV's Monk, I noticed the carousel logo inside the theater on the curtain was tilted slightly to the left. Also, the nice people two seats away from us mentioned there was gum on my seat – two minutes after we sat down. Thanks so much! but I couldn't find it. Love the show. I want the gift shop where I can go buy the little doggie. Never mind the fact that father is starting to look a little creepy stalkery.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And on to buzz. This is where Brian pretty much always destroys me. He's half blind from diabetes (exaggerating) but I can never see where my little red dot is aimed, and I am always the one controlling the spinning LOL.

So about halfway through, it was business as usual, the losing score is mine:
image.jpeg

(and I had just caught up!)

And then something happened that had never happened before: we got stuck. We got stuck directly in front of something I could shoot that was really close to me and I just kept shooting it and shooting it and shooting it. And the final tally (me on the left)

image.jpeg

And that will never happen again LOL.

On the way out, I teased Brian about how dismayed he looked in this picture:
image.jpeg

And from a nearby gift shop, a Star Wars hat made especially for me and Buddy!
image.jpeg

By this time it had to be close to 5 PM, and we took a casual stroll down main street on our way out. He had been hinting about ice cream, so we ordered a sunday with one scoop of no sugar added vanilla/chocolate and one scoop of no sugar added butter pecan in the waffle bowl, hold all the sugary fudge, etc. But they were out of butter pecan (omg Disney is sooo going downhill LOL - yes I still love to make fun of people who say that - hey, it's my thread) so two scoops of NSA v/c. We enjoyed it outside, and then wandered into the crystal store. Never noticed this before – very cool:

image.jpeg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Those could use a close up.

image.jpeg

We also watched the glass-blower
image.jpeg

She blew it. Well, first she literally blew it, then she broke it. So, she blew it.

Since this is the Victoria and Albert's thread, I took note of these personalizable frames:
image.jpeg

Just filing that idea away for a 10 year anniversary pic.

And...Main Street. I thought I might use some of these for an Imagineering thread, but I think I have since changed my mind. So rather than let them go to waste:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How many people have no idea they are all over the Internet in other people's vacation pics? Oh, well. Let's pretend they signed a release.

image.jpeg

And on the way out, we stopped to watch the patriotic band and recognition of specific servicemen, topping off our somewhat US-history focused day. ( see, that would have been a good idea for an ornament! We copped out and said this was part of last week's trip LOL.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
No Ooey Gooey at LTT??!!! I know you are having an issue with sweets, but this is the best dessert in all of MK. :hungry:

Punky Brewster!!! :hilarious: :joyfull:

I mentioned it, I thought about it...

I may add it to my lobster dip/pot roast revisit. Here's the deal: I generally don't eat sweets, either. (When I was a kid, complete opposite - I wanted hamburgers for breakfast and loved my Twinkies, anything with buttercream icing, etc.) Several years before meeting Brian, I gave up processed sugars - they seemed to make me very up and then very down even more than the average person, and I could get very grumpy during the down moments. (I don't have caffeine as a rule, either.) It makes for a more even-keeled day and you don't miss it after awhile. Plus, I can get Whole Foods type stuff sweetened with fruit juice, etc.

Brian is more or less no sugar-heavy dishes, natural or otherwise. So it's easy for him at home, because I don't have a ton of sugary stuff all over the cabinets. At Disney, we'll either split a NSA dessert, or sometimes he'll get that, and I'll get a sugar dessert if it's something that really calls to me. (My motto is: if I'm going to cheat, it has to be "worth it.")

He was not excited about Liberty's NSA sorbet, and I didn't even finish my lunch, so this didn't seem like the best moment to go for dessert. Next time, I'll make a point of it!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
On the way back to the room (6-ish?) Brian surprised me by asking if it was easy to get reservations at Art Smith's. I expected he would pass out as soon as we got back, and maybe wake up in time to go back to MK since it was open til 11.

OTOH - the debate was on...and the hotel had food...and...rope drop tomorrow before we drive home?

We'd have to wake up really early, but we could go do rope drop, still have time to come back to the room and check out, possibly get lunch, and then drive home. Trysch the puppysitter was not available the whole day, so she was going to visit Kylie at 5AM and then again at 1PM. She'd be alone until we got home.

We got back to the room, and found the gum from Carousel. It was on Brian's shorts!! (Dead center, couldn't see it until he took them off.) Ugh. And as we got in bed to watch TV, I started going over the list of places to eat at various resorts, just in case. Brian fell asleep.

For the heck of it, I checked Art Smith's, and there were zero times available for the rest of the day. Really? I never saw a day without plenty of availability before. I wondered if they were closed that day. Anyway, I took that and the snoring as a sign we should just order from one of the hotel restaurants.

I was not feeling stupendous, so that idea sounded better and better. This was a few days after kidney stone day, I was still adjusting to the meds, and still not sure what to expect - would something happen at Disney? In the room? In the car? I don't like not knowing. Plus my sleep had been erratic at best. But I kept drinking lots of water. We just ordered pizza and chicken parm with spaghetti (not bad) and ate in the room while watching the debate. Holy cow, that was more entertaining than I expected. We never even considered going back to MK at that point, and I thought that was better for our rope drop odds in the morning. If it was meant to happen, it would happen.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And I'm starting to think the only way we'll ever make rope drop is if I bring a piece of rope, and drop it as we enter.

Btw we still both got screened at entrance most times on both visits. Fine with me, no bother, and eventually I started putting all my metal stuff in one pocket of my cargo shorts so it would be easy to just empty that one pocket to go through.

Anyway, we took it easy in the morning. Brian slept. I was down at breakfast at 6:30. Rested, packed, checked out at 11 and just hit the road because that was much later than planned. Puppy, here we come!!

I drove for the first hour or so, stopped at a rest stop, grabbed a bite, and let Brian drive the rest of the way home. This was supposed to free me up to get some work done on my laptop, but I never did. Oops. Didn't get home until around 3:20 (3 hours driving up and 4 hours, 20 minutes driving home? The rest stop wasn't that long. Anyway...)

Puppy was happy to see us, and then standoff-ish LOL. Typical.

We planned to top off the night at our local French restaurant - they have specials on Tuesdays - and wanted to compare the filet to Disney filet. We were going to both order the filet, but I ended up ordering filet medallions because I liked the sound of the prep/sauce better. Of course, we tasted both, and both were wonderful. Not Monsieur Paul, but half the price, very nice cuts of meat, and delicious.

and this in the lobby area:
eiffel-sage.jpg

Yes, the lights blink all over it. It's only a little tacky LOL. And it's not bent!

Until next time (possibly early December for Brian's bday?)

us-wdw-halloween2016.jpg

Lord, I need to "just for men" my hair. And Brian still has no gray! arrgh. That's because I'm a whole 3 months older.

Oh! And we didn't spend anything from our rewards card, so our total stays the same:

$595.60

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom