2 airport workers arrested in thefts from bags

isitingood

Original Poster
2 baggage handlers for allegedly stealing from passengers luggage have prompted officials at Sea-Tac airport to seek out more passengers who may have been victims. The one guy was stealing anything he could resell. The second guy was arrested after trying to use a woman's credit card in Bellevue. Both suspects work for Menzies Aviation which handles ground services for Alaska Airlines. The problem is usually people only report theft to the airline instead of the police or the airport. If someone is flying from Orlando to Seattle with a layover in Denver then investigators have to figure whether the theft occured in Orlando, Denver or Seattle. You should always contact the police and the airport as well as the airline that way they know a theft is developing.

barnum42

A couple of baggage handlers at Gatwick were found guilty of the same thing.

I hate not being able to padlock my case now.

tigsmom

This happens in just about every airport and has been for years. There are untrustworthy people everywhere.

barnum42

LOL:ROFLOL: I guess I will have to start putting a lock on also.

The problem is that the security people have now banned people from putting locks on their bags. The open invite they have to search for terrorist devices is also the open invite for the dishonest types to help themselves to your stuff.

maelstrom

Um... you think? This has been going on how long now and they just figured it out? I only put clothes, shoes, and bathroom stuff in my suitcase. I'm thinking the baggage handlers and checkers don't want my toothpaste or smelly socks. It's really unfortunate that people have had their stuff stolen, but at the same time, why did you put anything of value in an unlocked suitcase? Computers, iPods, cell phones, any electronics, jewelry, etc should be kept with you at all times.

minidreamin

The problem is that the security people have now banned people from putting locks on their bags. The open invite they have to search for terrorist devices is also the open invite for the dishonest types to help themselves to your stuff.
Go to Wal-Mart or Target. They sell luggage locks that you lock with a combination. There is also a place for the TSA to insert a key to open the lock. They can relock it with the key, securing your luggage. It's the best of both worlds.:animwink: I've been using this type of lock for a couple of years now, I've had no problems with it. Some locks even have a way of showing you if the TSA has open the lock.

isitingood

Original Poster
Go to Wal-Mart or Target. They sell luggage locks that you lock with a combination. There is also a place for the TSA to insert a key to open the lock. They can relock it with the key, securing your luggage. It's the best of both worlds.:animwink: I've been using this type of lock for a couple of years now, I've had no problems with it. Some locks even have a way of showing you if the TSA has open the lock.

Yeah the locks are marked with a special indentifying symbol that alerts the TSA inspectors. The TSA has a special key to open the lock. Like you said Target and Wal-Mart have them for around $10.

maelstrom

And... what if the TSA doesn't relock your luggage? I can't see them taking the time to unlock and relock your luggage. It's easier to just cut the locks off. I have read where the TSA has cut off TSA approved locks, so.

I use plastic one-time-use locks. If it's still on, they didn't go thru my luggage, and if not, they did. If they did, I go thru my luggage immediately upon grabbing it off the carousel. I'd think they wouldn't take my clothes and bathroom items, but who knows.

H20Babie

Personally, since the new regs, I use those hard plastic ties. TSA can cut them off if need be, but try to get them off without one! I also take a couple with me in my carry-on, so I can resecure my luggage for the trip back.

barnum42

Yeah the locks are marked with a special indentifying symbol that alerts the TSA inspectors. The TSA has a special key to open the lock. Like you said Target and Wal-Mart have them for around $10.

Interesting. Thank you.

Though if they are available in the UK, you can bet they will cost at least $20.

Welsh Tink

TSA certified locks

Hi Barnum,

In reply to your post, we ordered our TSA locks from www.outdooraccessories.co.uk. They have a range of locks, with a pack of two with keys for £5.99 and combination locks for £5.99.

If you are near an airport ( we live near Manchester ), you should also be able to pick some up from there.

We have just returned from the States, used the locks and one bag had been opened up, they left a form inside telling us that they had done so, and the bag had been closed again using the lock without it being damaged.

Hope you can get some!

barnum42

Hi Barnum,

In reply to your post, we ordered our TSA locks from www.outdooraccessories.co.uk. They have a range of locks, with a pack of two with keys for £5.99 and combination locks for £5.99.

If you are near an airport ( we live near Manchester ), you should also be able to pick some up from there.

We have just returned from the States, used the locks and one bag had been opened up, they left a form inside telling us that they had done so, and the bag had been closed again using the lock without it being damaged.

Hope you can get some!
Thanks for the pointer - just bookmarked the page.

They opened up my case somewhere between Cleveland and New York or New York to London. The case was also lost, found, delayed then delivered smashed :fork:

And... what if the TSA doesn't relock your luggage? I can't see them taking the time to unlock and relock your luggage. It's easier to just cut the locks off. I have read where the TSA has cut off TSA approved locks, so.

I use plastic one-time-use locks. If it's still on, they didn't go thru my luggage, and if not, they did. If they did, I go thru my luggage immediately upon grabbing it off the carousel. I'd think they wouldn't take my clothes and bathroom items, but who knows.

My only complaint are those worthless TSA folks. On the past two trips they've opened my bags. THe first time I find out some stuff is missing, who took it the TSA or someone else... The second the brilliant TSA folks decided to open a can of baby formula we had packed, it was completely unopened when we packed it, they pulled the lid off then left it with only a resealable lid back on(we assume) because when we arrived home the dry formula was completely emptied throughout the bag.

themax

Thanks for the pointer - just bookmarked the page.

They opened up my case somewhere between Cleveland and New York or New York to London. The case was also lost, found, delayed then delivered smashed :fork:
Tesco and Asda where selling them as well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom