1st Stay @ Poly

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Just returned from our first stay at the Poly for three nights.

Visually appealing resort I must say. As FL residents, the whole tropical island thing certainly pulls on the strings.

A few items we didn't enjoy -

(Deluxe Studio) decor and space was fantastic, the noise level no so much. You could hear the entire conversation of someone talking on their cell phone in the room right next door. You would think any amount of refurbishments from this original resort would have included better sound barriers for guests. I'm not saying if you were quite as a mouse, you could hear things, i'm saying it sounded like there were extra guests INSIDE your room with you. Same issue with the large slider onto the balcony, anything within 100 feet making a peep outside was heard inside. To combat this, turned on the AC fan to manual 'High' setting to help drown out. Luckily we only had one of the two rooms on either side with occupancy during our stay.

Can't recommended Kona Cafe or Kona Island. Kona Cafe doesn't understand the concept of the reservation, doesn't care either. The dining room was not full for breakfast @ 10:25am, and we were sat at 10:50. Didn't make too much sense there, and the meal was 'basic'. Could have gotten the same treatment and food at our local value restaurants. Kona Island, food was better, but service by 'PON' was like being in a Seinfeld episode starring the Soup Nazi. Kind of brings down the magic a few or more clicks. All of the staff at the Island, not a single smile, smirk or anything. Same ambiance all three visits we made there. Just odd.

Ambiance has everything going for this resort, I'm just not sure where the magic was hiding. Will certainly go back but we had a more 'Disney' experience at POR the two nights in front of staying at the Poly.

Enjoy some photo's.

20160228_105250.jpg
20160228_105255.jpg
20160228_105309.jpg
20160228_105514.jpg
20160228_105517.jpg
20160228_111705.jpg
20160228_111830.jpg
20160228_123346.jpg
20160228_170646.jpg
20160228_214521.jpg

Tony the Tigger

The room looks beautiful. We like the Kona cafe - food was better than average, service was the usual Disney service, but we've only ever been for lunch, not breakfast, and with a reservation, seated in a timely manner.

Sometimes when you see empty tables it's because there is no waitstaff to cover them. They may not "open" every section of tables for every shift.

I'm surprised but not surprised to hear about the thin walls. This seems to be a problem throughout the World. I'd expect it more at the Value resorts (and it's pretty bad there.) I didn't expect it at the Moderates, but you can hear everything next door at the CBR, for example. I'm more surprised to hear this is the same at a Deluxe resort, and stunned that it would be the case at a recently renovated deluxe resort. What are they thinking?

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
Great pictures! We are going for our first stay at the Poly in November. How was the transportation to the different parks?

Transportation break down:

Magic Kingdom - hop skip and jump, no time by monorail, or ferry via transportation center next door
Epcot - 5 min walk to transportation center, then another hop skip and jump, quick ride by monorail
Animal Kingdom - once the bus arrives i'd say 10-15min, not bad at all
Hollywood Studios - same as Animal Kingdom time frame
Disney Springs - furthest point, be prepared for this one, leave 1hr min for travel, includes waiting on bus to pick you up, and then the long haul it has to take, plus waiting in line to drop off. All buses drop off at one spot in Disney Springs currently, so very often there are 3-4 buses in line just waiting to unload. Can't wait for them to open the new central bus station, should make things much smoother.

FrostyNaples

Original Poster
The room looks beautiful. We like the Kona cafe - food was better than average, service was the usual Disney service, but we've only ever been for lunch, not breakfast, and with a reservation, seated in a timely manner.

Sometimes when you see empty tables it's because there is no waitstaff to cover them. They may not "open" every section of tables for every shift.

I'm surprised but not surprised to hear about the thin walls. This seems to be a problem throughout the World. I'd expect it more at the Value resorts (and it's pretty bad there.) I didn't expect it at the Moderates, but you can hear everything next door at the CBR, for example. I'm more surprised to hear this is the same at a Deluxe resort, and stunned that it would be the case at a recently renovated deluxe resort. What are they thinking?

The worst sound penetration was the hallway door, and the sliding glass door to the balcony. The walls were not the weak spots, but it being a studio, sound carried extremely well, which is not a good thing.

HauntedMansionFLA

Transportation break down:

Magic Kingdom - hop skip and jump, no time by monorail, or ferry via transportation center next door
Epcot - 5 min walk to transportation center, then another hop skip and jump, quick ride by monorail
Animal Kingdom - once the bus arrives i'd say 10-15min, not bad at all
Hollywood Studios - same as Animal Kingdom time frame
Disney Springs - furthest point, be prepared for this one, leave 1hr min for travel, includes waiting on bus to pick you up, and then the long haul it has to take, plus waiting in line to drop off. All buses drop off at one spot in Disney Springs currently, so very often there are 3-4 buses in line just waiting to unload. Can't wait for them to open the new central bus station, should make things much smoother.
Thank you very much. It sounds like transportation is very good at the Poly.

Tony the Tigger

At Pop Century, when you were in the bathroom, it was like there was no wall between you and next door. You could hear every word people were saying. At Caribbean Beach, same weak spot but more muffled. Have not stayed at a deluxe yet, plan to next year, not sure which one yet.

blueboxdoctor

Surprised to hear about the sound issue. I've stayed there many times and can't recall any issues like that. I'm still annoyed they got rid of the waterfall inside for the boring area they now have (those things on the ceiling don't make up for the waterfall at all). But overall it's still a fantastic looking resort. I never ate at the two places you noted (though, I also don't like big breakfast, just give me a pretend bagel or a muffin and I'm good) so I can't speak for them, but I can confirm that Captain Cooks (counter service) and Ohana are pretty good (Ohana is actually very good, never disappointed).

Also, some nice pics you put up there, should be helpful for those who have never stayed there before (and for me, now I just want to go back looking at the pics).

Mickey Ears

Love all of your photos and review. We also stayed there for a week in 2014 and it was also our first time to WDW. I do agree with you that the noise in the rooms was a bit much at times, but sleep times it was quiet. We ate at O'Hana's and absolutely loved it. This was even with my son who was one at the time. The beauty of the Resort was awesome. I really enjoyed watching Wishes from the beach.

Stryker

Terrific pictures, sorry you had some noise issues. We stayed for a week last October in Moorea, lake view, 2nd floor and didn't encounter any problems with noise. It was our first stay at the Poly but won't be our last. Never eaten at Kona just not a place that appeals to us. Overall the staff we encountered were very pleasant and friendly. Hopefully you will have better luck/service next time.

hooch

Really great pictures. Thank you so much.
We stayed at Poly last summer and had good experience with kind cast members. I'm sorry you did not :(
We never have trouble with thin walls - until we have neighbors ;) It can be a shock. Nice to know you enjoyed POR so much.

Matt and Kelly

Great photos. Thanks for the update on your stay as well. We will be staying a Poly Studio in August. After seeing your pictures I am very excited to see it in person. Sorry to hear that things didn't go as well as planned though. I will say Kona is one of my favourite WDW restaurants and we've always been more than satisfied with our experiences there. Doesn't make your experience any better but hoping it may just have been a bad day.

Thanks again!

Does anyone have their exact physical address that I can send a package to?

Here you are...1600 Seven Seas Drive, Orlando, FL 32830, United States

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom