1st Disneyland Trip

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Ok im thinkin about making my first trip out to Disneyland soon....i was wondering what to expect since i have been going to WDW every year since i was 2.....thats 17 years.......straight....anyways....what should i go see and do....whats different about the park and will i like it better then WDW??

All4Gemini

I went there in 99 and I'm going back this Summer, and suprisingly there are quite a few different things. And this is just in reference to Disneyland park, I haven't been to the California Adventure Park.

First of all, the layout is mostly the same except that there is a New Orleans Square instead of Liberty Square, and that's where The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are located. There is also another land called Critter Country where Splash Mountain and the new Pooh ride are. Toontown is just Toontown instead of Toontown Fair, but I never really go there anyway.

Ride wise, there are a lot of differences. The Matterhorn is a tall snowcapped mountain with a bobsled rollercoaster through it in Fantasyland. There's also a Pinnochio and Alice in Wonderland ride with the same kind of design as say Snow White's Scary Adventures. Tomorrowland is totally different. Space Mountain is supposed to be a different layout but it's closed until 2005. There's a Dumbo like ride with Rockets, much like the Astro Orbiter as well as a car ride like the Indy Speedway. Star Tours and Honey I Shrunk The Audience are all there and right now that's about it because they are rebuilding half of that place. There used to be a ride called Rocket Rods but it closed because it always broke down and stuff. The Indiana Jones Adventure is the highlight of the Disneyland rides different from WDW. It's in Adventureland and is the largest ride constructed there if not out of all the parks. The layout is much like Dinosaur at AK, but of course it's Indiana Jones and it is intense.

I'd say make sure you don't miss The Matterhorn or Indina Jones Adventure, both unique to DL and both fun. That's about all I got for ya. You can probably find out a bunch more at Disneyland.com as well. Hope ya have a good trip!

xfkirsten

Well, what to expect kinda depends on when you go! If you're going before April, expect a number of attractions to be closed because of refurbishment. Of course, Space Mountain will be closed until sometime next year, as most of Tomorrowland seems to be. Also, Disneyland is much more of a locals park than WDW, so expect more in the way of afternoon crowds, as people head to the park after work/school, and weekends are usually fairly busy.

Indiana Jones over in Adventureland is definitely not to be missed! This is another one that closed until April for refurb (this is its first major refurb since opening in 95). I think that the Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain are just about on par with WDW. Pirates, though, is much, much, much better at Disneyland than it is at WDW! Highly reccommended. Big Thunder Mountain is about the same as WDW. Some of the stuff DL has that WDW does not that I think is not to be missed: (aside from Indy) Storybookland Canal Boats, Mr. Toad (still here, still great! ;)), Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, the Matterhorn (of course!), Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. As for Fantasmic - waaaaay better at Disneyland! Don't miss that one! Parade of the Stars is a bit disappointing, but it is fun if you get picked to be one of the guest performers.

If you're going over to California Adventure as well, I reccommend doing this only if you have a park hopper. As much as I've come to love it, it's just not worth paying a full day's price for it. California Screamin' and Soarin' Over California are not to be missed! MuppetVision 3d and WWTBAM Play It are the same as at WDW. Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular is wonderful!! (notice me avatar ;)) Also, weekends at night they run "Disney's Electrical Parade," which is basically MSEP with a name change. :)

-Kirsten

RU42

May I suggest this thread:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33167

I think most of my answers are there.

When are you thinking of coming - that really effects the answer. Summer is massively different then Spring/Fall. Weekend is vastly different then midweek.

If you pick Spring/Fall/Winter (except Thanksgiving/Christmas weeks) and hit it mid week - there is no real reason why you couldn't do everything - or close to it. (There are a couple you could skip if needed - HISTA, Innoventions, Star Tours to name a couple.)

If you come during a busy time you might need to be more focused. My never miss list by land would be:
Original Tiki Room
Indiana Jones
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Storybook Canal
Mr Toads
Alice in Wonderland
Small World
Roger Rabbit
Matterhorn
Snow White Musical
Great Moments with Mr Lincoln

DCA is all new to you. There are a couple Florida ones here like Bugs and Muppets.

Don't Miss:
Cal Soarin
Cal Screamin
Aladdin
Disney Animation
River Run
Tower of Terror (if after May 5)

And there are a lot of other interesting things to do there as well.

RU

Pat X

I love DCA and always have! Don't let what you heard about this park ruin it for you. There is just as much themeing at DCA then any other Disney park and there is more to do there NOW than there is currently at Animal Kingdom and MGM studios. The Alladin show is terrific and their Fantasmic is wonderful!

What I love about Disneyland is the ease in park hopping. It doesn't take 20-30 minutes like it does in WDW. The two parks literally face each other and are about 100 yards a part...maybe? Its great!

The one thing that will probably shock you is the proximity of the "outside" world. This is not WDW.....50 feet from Tomorrowland is Harbor Blvd. which is a busy city street with Denny's and other motels.

The cool thing is that Walt actually walked around in Disneyland! Also, I also fee that Disneyland had a quaintness (sp?) that Mgaic Kingdom doesn't have.

Anyways, you shouldn't go there wondering if you will like it more than WDW...both resorts are different and each has their own pros and cons.

Please keep us updated on your plans!

:sohappy:

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Im thinking my trip to Disneyland is set. I am going March 5!!! Im a little nervous because i have never been there and i am expecting a lot from it. Because i have already been comparing it to WDW....anyways i have a few questions

1- What is Soarin exactly at DCA? ride? show? both?

2- Where are the good places to eat in both parks?

AND

3- Is POtC and HM the same as WDW?

RU42

Wow, that is very close! So are you coming by yourself or with a group? How many days are you planning on spending? Anyway...

Soarin - Think Imax on steroids. I do not want to give it away. It is a mild ride (not a roller coaster.) You are lifted up in front of a domed screen giving you the feel you are in the movie. And, well, you soar over California. There is more to it but I do not want to spoil it. It is an A+ ride that is so good they are building it on the back of The Land right now.

Eating - Define good as it pertains to pocket book. At Disneyland the Blue Bayou is wonderful. A little cheaper is French Market. Some of my favorite simple fares are chowder in a bread bowl and the Bengal BBQ.

At DCA I like the Test Pilots Grill for a nice kicked up burger. There are some nice restaurants too.

PotC and HM are in essence the same concept with slightly different executions. I would highly recommend visiting them despite the similarities.

RU

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Originally posted by RU42
Wow, that is very close! So are you coming by yourself or with a group? How many days are you planning on spending? Anyway...

Soarin - Think Imax on steroids. I do not want to give it away. It is a mild ride (not a roller coaster.) You are lifted up in front of a domed screen giving you the feel you are in the movie. And, well, you soar over California. There is more to it but I do not want to spoil it. It is an A+ ride that is so good they are building it on the back of The Land right now.

Eating - Define good as it pertains to pocket book. At Disneyland the Blue Bayou is wonderful. A little cheaper is French Market. Some of my favorite simple fares are chowder in a bread bowl and the Bengal BBQ.

At DCA I like the Test Pilots Grill for a nice kicked up burger. There are some nice restaurants too.

PotC and HM are in essence the same concept with slightly different executions. I would highly recommend visiting them despite the similarities.

RU

Yeah it is close...but my boyfriend goes to UCLA...so its an easy trip out there....it will be just me and him....hes been there before......ummm im gonna spend a week there.......ummm money is no object with food and stuff i just wanted to know whats good......plus i love the bread bowls which arent in the Columbia Harbor House anymore.....which kinda sucks.....anyways...i wouldnt miss POtC or HM even if it was the exact same lol....thanks for the help

xfkirsten

Yeah, the only thing I'd have to add is that I've always felt PotC at DL was very different than at WDW. Same concept, yes, and some similar scenes, but DL's version is much, much more fleshed out. :)

-Kirsten

Pat X

Hey,

For a good place to eat in DCA, I'd recommend the Wine Country Trattatoria (I think that is what its called.) I also enjoy the counter service mexican restaurant in the Pacific Warf section of DCA. If money REALLY isn't an object, then eat at Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel. I had one of the best meals of my life there. However, you WILL pay for it. A dinner for two cost me $200. That included appetizer, wine, meal, and dessert.

Pirates at DL executed a lot better than WDW's. Even some of the dark rides like Peter Pan are a bit different. Remember that Fantasyland in Disneyland has different dark rides as compared to WDW. There's Pinochio, Toad is still there, Alice in Wonderland, etc. The Small World facade is completely different as well. Oh, and the monorail in DL drops you off in tomorrowland not at the entrance of the park.

FireFly725

Concerning the Haunted Mansions. There are some noticeable differences between the two. First of all, the facades are very different as they are in different locations at each park.

One thing that's at DL that I miss at WDW is the walk-through portrait hallway in the beginning. It really sets the mood for the attraction. The sound quality in the doombuggies is also a little better at DL. But you will find some things missing from DL's that you are used to at WDW. DL doesn't have a library or a music room. The first scene at DL is the endless hallway.

FireFly725

The only problem with going March 5th is that some of the major rides are closed. Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and Indiana Jones Adventure are all closed during that time. Be sure to come back another time so you can see DL in its full glory.

Pat X

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav
Thanks Everyone....is there anything else i should know?

Take a stroll through Flick's Fun Fair in DCA. It's really neat although the rides are generally for kids.

OH! On the left of the Grizzly River Rapids entrance there are lockers you can store cameras and other items that can be damaged by water. I think the first hour or 30 minutes are free. Its a cool service that DCA provides. I wish the same thing was available outside of Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom.

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
Originally posted by FireFly725
The only problem with going March 5th is that some of the major rides are closed. Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and Indiana Jones Adventure are all closed during that time. Be sure to come back another time so you can see DL in its full glory.

are you serious?????

All4Gemini

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav
are you serious?????

Yep, those three will all be closed on March 5th. Space Mountain doesn't open til 2005, Indiana Jones opens back up on April 2nd, and Big Thunder Mountain opens back on March 10th-so if you could wait 5 days???

Epcot is my fav

Original Poster
2005 for Space Mountain how come? well i will be able to wait 5 days for BTMR but i guess i wont be going on Indiana Jones anytime soon.......thats not cool

All4Gemini

Space Mountain is just getting a total facelift, I don't know all the exact details but they're doing quite a bit with it. They're waiting til 2005 to open it so they can release it as part of the 50th anniversary celebration. Oh, and Dumbo is also closed during that time, but maybe that one won't come as quite of a dissapointment to ya.

RU42

Space Mtn is going under a major rehab. I think there are some past posts on this is you want to details.

RU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom