1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

PerGron

Map 2.jpg

Last edited:

PerGron

I'm taking over the game to announce that the podcast will now happen once a week on Saturdays and cover both the HoH project and Power of Veto reviews. Because of this, Vetos will now be due SATURDAY at 11:59AM Eastern time. Gives you guys a bit more time to work on them as we head into the end-game.

In that case, might touch mine up with a little special flare

AceAstro

To me, all great theme park lands have one thing in common: visible motion. In Disney World's Tomorrowland, you have the PeopleMover, Astro Orbiter, and Tomorrowland Speedway adding sights and sounds through the whole land. Disneyland's Adventureland has the Tropical Hideaway, Jungle Cruise, and Indiana Jones Adventure are all tied together allowing guests to get a ton of great views of the Jungle Cruise. Every park has one (or many) examples of this. While The Passage is a great land, it is missing that visible motion. Let's fix that!

The Passage's Dog Sledding Experience

1605844265072.png

Dog Sledding is a common mode of transportation throughout the Arctic Circle as an easy (and efficient) way to get across ice and snow. Slowly, it has become a more common way to show tours of places that might be harder to get to otherwise. That tour continues here in The Passage.

Updated Map
(dark purple is the loading area, light purple is the trail the dog sleds follow)
2MapArcticSleds.png

Extra-large dog sleds are used to hold 3 people in the sled with an extra on the back with the musher (a total of 4, but only ever 1 family per sled). While capacity isn't huge, live animal transportation has never been high capacity attractions in Disneyland ( Frontierland Pack Mules, Horse Carriage, etc.). Starting at the loading area, guests load into the sleds and head downwards towards the polar bears. As the sleds approach the Polar Bear area, they cross over the path with the use of an animal overpass.

1605845346479.png

This view from above the guest's path gives new views of the polar bear enclosure that can't be seen from below.

For the Main Entrance cross over, guests ride above the main entrance area for a full view of the ticketing area/ esplanade like Disneyland's Main Street Station.

1605845762220.png

Between here and the Beluga Whale enclosure, the dog sleds kick it into high gear to give a "speedy" portion of the ride. While still being completely safe, this section adds a bit of thrill to the otherwise "dull" section of the ride.

Much like the crossing for the polar bears, the way the sleds cross the beluga whales enclosure is with another animal overpass.

Next, an expanded frozen lake allows for an exclusive experience for only guests on the Dog Sled.

1605846399720.png

On a small bridge above the lake, guests can look down into the lake to animatronic Walruses and Narwhals in the water, and animatronic reindeer/ caribou located on small islands in the lake.

Next, guests approach The Voyage of the North Sea entrance area. Large icy caverns with frozen cavemen and mammoths can be seen on either side of the sled passing through this area.

Lastly, guests have to cross the main pathway out of The Passage. This is down through a high themed Ice Bridge (like below) to blend into the surrounding ice and snow.

1605847045240.png

After crossing this bridge, the guests do a small switchback before heading back into the loading area.

While this gives the land an open attraction, it also adds a much-needed visible motion through the land with guests being able to see the elevated dog sleds from almost anywhere in the land.​

NigelChanning

Flight of the North

Join a blizzard or Snowy Owls (the term for a group of Snowy Owls) and fly round and round on this family friendly spinner attraction for the ages!
0093DB34-0C56-4B6C-AE2E-0DFD8F9D6D63.jpeg

Guests make their way through snow-covered rocks and large pieces of ice and begin their journey as they board 1 of 10 Snowy Owls. The vehicles rise up and begin circling around a large glacier but we find ourselves in the middle of a snowstorm (represented through sound). Using a joystick located on our Snowy Owls, we can avoid large chunks of snow and rock hurling at us!
BC6F91BD-E915-43AA-AF82-3BFC9BCBAF3D.jpeg

Flight of the North is a family-friendly spinner attraction through the beauty (and sometimes ruthlessness) of nature that could easily become a fan favorite!

Chaos Cat

Week 9 Project Review

Analyzing Data....

<Report>

Riddle impacting server...reboot...riddle not solved.

Arctic Passage, The

System detects love of animals and exhibits. Unit cannot feel love, but computes its purpose for entrance land. Reminds of Animal Kingdom and Tokyo DisneySea. Map was impressive to unit. Advisement to continue making maps authorized. Unit was impressed with the detail, but detects hard to navigate format on site. Unit recommends that all animal exhibits, for example, be on one page for ease of reading.

Unit needed to reboot before reading the main attraction, Voyage of the North Sea. Unit was impressed with this attraction, and advises it should have been the headliner attraction, not towards the bottom. Start with big attractions first before going to more minor ones.

Unit detects need for more live entertainment, perhaps through Project Veto

Impression of TEC Culinary Labs: y = mx + best dining location.

Analyzing shops....Unit impressed.

Prepare for final scores.....processing....

Creativity - A+
Realism - A-
Detail - A
Presentation - A-
Teamwork - A+
-----------------------------------
Overall - A

Well done team

<End of Project Review>
I was hoping someone would point this out for me, but as you can see, I decided to let Space take my robot body for a spin. Yeah, turns out that being a robot is murder on the joints. Not 100% sold on how well Space can do the housework, though. He spent all of last night practicing the violin for some reason. Don't worry, though; I've taken the liberty of hiring a "cleaner" to take care of things, especially for @PerGron, the messy lad.

su31fjde1ja31.jpg

Suchomimus

Flight of the North

Join a blizzard or Snowy Owls (the term for a group of Snowy Owls) and fly round and round on this family friendly spinner attraction for the ages!
View attachment 514441
Guests make their way through snow-covered rocks and large pieces of ice and begin their journey as they board 1 of 10 Snowy Owls. The vehicles rise up and begin circling around a large glacier but we find ourselves in the middle of a snowstorm (represented through sound). Using a joystick located on our Snowy Owls, we can avoid large chunks of snow and rock hurling at us!
View attachment 514443
Flight of the North is a family-friendly spinner attraction through the beauty (and sometimes ruthlessness) of nature that could easily become a fan favorite!
Will this be indoors?

AceAstro

Praying they have this thing open by early January. It's not nearly as high profile as Iron Gwazi which I know they're waiting until Spring to unveil. Definitely holding off on a return trip to Busch Gardens until that thing is up and running.
Iron Gwazi looks stunning. It’s a coaster you go to the park for. Ice Breaker looks fun but it feels more of a “if I’m at SeaWorld, I’ll go on it. But I’m not travelling across the continent for it”

AceAstro

TheOriginalTiki

Iron Gwazi looks stunning. It’s a coaster you go to the park for. Ice Breaker looks fun but it feels more of a “if I’m at SeaWorld, I’ll go on it. But I’m not travelling across the continent for it”
I'll be at Seaworld on January 10th primarily to marathon Mako haha. It definitely won't make or break the trip or anything if Ice Breaker's not open, but a credit is a credit and as far as credits go that's a pretty damn fun one to get (multi-launch, steepest drop in Orlando etc.) I got Montu as my 75th credit last trip.

PerGron

I'll be at Seaworld on January 10th primarily to marathon Mako haha. It definitely won't make or break the trip or anything if Ice Breaker's not open, but a credit is a credit and as far as credits go that's a pretty damn fun one to get (multi-launch, steepest drop in Orlando etc.) I got Montu as my 75th credit last trip.
Mako is one of my favorite coasters I've been on. Granted, I haven't done a lot of coasters (I'm more of a slow ride guy, I'd choose a Living with the Land over any coasters), but Mako is one I must do every time I'm there. I was there last November and I was in line but a thundershower shut it down and we didn't get back around to it because I was there with some of my fellow zookeeper friends and they wanted to see the animals and talk to trainers more than ride coasters

TheOriginalTiki

Mako is one of my favorite coasters I've been on. Granted, I haven't done a lot of coasters (I'm more of a slow ride guy, I'd choose a Living with the Land over any coasters), but Mako is one I must do every time I'm there. I was there last November and I was in line but a thundershower shut it down and we didn't get back around to it because I was there with some of my fellow zookeeper friends and they wanted to see the animals and talk to trainers more than ride coasters
I gotta say, it's pretty close to being my number one at this point. I've done most all the coasters there are to do in California and Florida (minus Sea World San Diego and both the Lego Lands....and the coveted Adventure City credits haha :p ;) ) but I've never ventured to any state beyond that. Right now my next big destination now that I'll have been to Florida four times is definitely cracking out the King's Island/Cedar Point duo. I'd DEFINITELY hit my 100th credit during that trip and it'd be fun to see how epic I can time that.

Do you think doing two days in Sea World is worth it? I ABSOLUTELY see the merit in the exhibits and it really is a gorgeous marine park outside of the coasters. Right now my plan is for Animal Kingdom but I'm strongly considering Sea World instead. With Animal Kingdom I'd be paying about 150$ for Pandora, Dinosaur, Everest, and the Safari. All stuff I've seen before. I was looking forward to the exploratory "solo day" of it all, but honestly beings as though I've barely even gotten my bearings in Seaworld's layout based on my one trip I think a solo day there with all the exhibits plus potential coaster marathons could be a lot of fun. Then I'd also get more of a handle on the park's layout for when my buddy and I go later in the trip.

PerGron

I gotta say, it's pretty close to being my number one at this point. I've done most all the coasters there are to do in California and Florida (minus Sea World San Diego and both the Lego Lands....and the coveted Adventure City credits haha :p ;) ) but I've never ventured to any state beyond that. Right now my next big destination now that I'll have been to Florida four times is definitely cracking out the King's Island/Cedar Point duo. I'd DEFINITELY hit my 100th credit during that trip and it'd be fun to see how epic I can time that.

Do you think doing two days in Sea World is worth it? I ABSOLUTELY see the merit in the exhibits and it really is a gorgeous marine park outside of the coasters. Right now my plan is for Animal Kingdom but I'm strongly considering Sea World instead. With Animal Kingdom I'd be paying about 150$ for Pandora, Dinosaur, Everest, and the Safari. All stuff I've seen before. I was looking forward to the exploratory "solo day" of it all, but honestly beings as though I've barely even gotten my bearings in Seaworld's layout based on my one trip I think a solo day there with all the exhibits plus potential coaster marathons could be a lot of fun. Then I'd also get more of a handle on the park's layout for when my buddy and I go later in the trip.
As the animal guy, I'd personally do both AK and SeaWorld, but for people who aren't as animal-focused (and especially where things like Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo aren't open), I totally think two days of SeaWorld would be worth it. I usually do just one day because I go with my family and they're more fans of the Disney stuff and I always feel that if I want to see everything I'm being rushed.

Between trying to hit all the animal shows, do all the coasters, and see all the exhibits, I get there around the opening and stay until close almost every time with very few breaks in the meantime. It's such a phenomenal park and if you're thinking about doing a coaster marathon, I'd totally say take one day to do that and another to just enjoy the park as a whole and get your bearings! However, whichever way you go you cannot fail, they're (in my humble opinion) two of the best parks in Orlando, but that could just be the animal guy talking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom