1978 Super8 Magic Kingdom Home Movie - HD - Restored

wdwms

Original Poster
480805761_295x166.jpg

A few months back I stumbled upon a 3 minute reel of film on ebay titled "Disney World '78". The seller had no information of what was on the film, so I took a chance and bought it...I kept my fingers crossed that it wasn't laced with character greetings!

The short 3 minute film is like most that were taken years ago; The family full of excitement boards the monorail, enters the Magic Kingdom, sees a few attractions and leaves before the sun has set. When Super8 film was king one cartridge of film, just three precious minutes, was often all most people had to record their memories. In this home movie it is quite evident that person behind the camera was very cautious with their film; many shots only last a few frames, telling us that they were nervous that they'd run out of film - as a result, the film does jump around wildly from scene to scene.

Remember that you are watching the memories that were important to this family. The ones they wanted to bring home, remember, and share with family and friends...now inadvertantly share with you. The little girl (now probably in her mid forties!) is filled with anticipation on the monorail, we see her buy flowers on West Street, and the family looks back at the camera as they walk towards the castle. Feelings all of us can identify with.

Highlights: Monorail passing through the Contemporary - complete with the orange glass trees, West Street, Swan Boat boarding area and Tomorrowland fountains.

Technical Notes: The film unfortunately suffers some sort of crystalline degeneration. You'll see what looks like snowlfakes on some frames. These are too strong to be cleaned by the software; a frame by frame restoration of this film would be the only way to remove them and is not warrented based on time/cost vs content.

Video is here: https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/re...8-super8-magic-kingdom-home-movie-hd-restored

Figments Friend

Many thanks for sharing this!
Always a treat to see a nostalgic piece of film like this.

:)

People today totally miss that feeling of 'almost running out of film'...heck, several probably have absolutely no concept of what 'film' is to begin with!

Ah yes...it was a different time.
You really did think more carefully about what you shot or where when you had such limiting factors.
Not to mention having to wait 2 to 3 days to actually SEE the photos you snapped...or much longer for watching your home movie on Super 8 ...since you had to wait for them to be processed/developed by your local photo shop/drug store/ Fotomat !

Good times...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom