1952 date on entrance tunnel of Rock N' Rollercoaster

kik4adog

Original Poster
At the very beginning of Rock N' Rollercoaster when you're sitting in the car staring at the tunnel waiting to be launched off there is a date that reads "1952" at the top of the tunnel.
Does anyone know the significance of that date?

I know the whole area of MGM in that area is supposed to be like a 50's themed Hollywood so I understand that but I didn't know if there was more to it than that. Maybe someone else out there has more Mickey/Disney knowledge and can shed some light.

~Bryan~

brkgnews

Usually dates like that are either...
1) an homage to something significant in Disney history (IE, the address RFD#82 on the Living With the Land farmhouse = EPCOT's opening year).
OR...
2) More often, a principal imagineer's birth year.

kik4adog

Original Poster
RnR birth year

Ah!! Thank you all very much...I did not know that about the farm house in Living with the Land. That's AWESOME.

And you're probably right about that being birth year. Thanks again for the info.
~Bryan~

disney9752

another insider or cm thing you might notice the street numbers above the shops, restaurants etc, on main street & hollywod blvd also stand for the internal wdw dept code or location...:rolleyes:

In the theme of the attraction, 1952 was the year that Les Paul made the first Gibson electric guitar, which is significant as Joe Perry uses Les Paul Guitars.

Also, but probably less significant it was also the year that Bill Haley and the Comets formed...I think

The Mom

Premium Member
Kiwi Dreamer said:
In the theme of the attraction, 1952 was the year that Les Paul made the first Gibson electric guitar, which is significant as Joe Perry uses Les Paul Guitars.

Also, but probably less significant it was also the year that Bill Haley and the Comets formed...I think

That sounds like the best rationale. The birth of Rock and Roll?

Just as 1964 is considered the beginning of the British Invasion. Yes, groups like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc had been performing earlier, but that was the year US listeners (including yours truly) "discovered" them.

Northgurl24

Correct Answer

I just finished my Cp program at RnR Coaster. The date actually stands for the year that WDI started. Their first year in operation was 1952

Jerm

Northgurl24 said:
I just finished my Cp program at RnR Coaster. The date actually stands for the year that WDI started. Their first year in operation was 1952

Nice!!!! I didn't even think of that one but that is a great one to add to the memory.

J

tirian

HMGhost13 said:
actually, it's not really 50's themed Hollywood. ToT takes place, story wise, in the 30's.

Technically, ToT takes place now, in the abandoned Hollwood Tower Hotel from the 1930s. Nearly everything on Sunset Blvd. makes 1930s/40s sense except for the modern G-Force Records building...

makonyy15

ArielBelle said:
RnRC wasn't built in 1952, though!

I think he meant the date is posted on a tunnel, as if the tunnel you're about to enter is from 1952. Similiar to markings on buildings on college campuses on a brick with the date constructed.

Rayray

tirian said:
Technically, ToT takes place now, in the abandoned Hollwood Tower Hotel from the 1930s. Nearly everything on Sunset Blvd. makes 1930s/40s sense except for the modern G-Force Records building...
I believe that the entire background story of G force records explains that the company was founded in the early part of the 1900s and has just been updated over the years of technological advancement. In the preshow queue, the display case discusses the use of the ancient Edison phonograph tube at G force records. Tower of Terror isn't updated because of its abandonment.

tirian said:
Don't even get me started on the location of the G-Force Records building...:mad:

mmartelli

EpcoTim said:
Something to do with Elvis maybe?

Love this one, Im a huge Elvis fan. But Elvis's first hit didn't come until July 5th 1954 "That's Alright" Some call it the firts Rock N Roll song ever recorded, but there were some other rockabilly bands before then...Just not sure if they ever recorded any of thier songs.

Shameless plug here - - I do a radio show on my college's radio station an d it can be heard online at wqri.rwu.edu I focus on alot of blues, early rock, Elvis and classic rock.

JimboJones123

ArielBelle said:
RnRC wasn't built in 1952, though!

well, if imagineering did start in '52, it may have been the first attraction, it had just been sitting on the shelf for "quite a while" it was removie from the shelf to make room for beastly kingdom!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom