1930s Disney Studio Land for DHS

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
I’ve been thinking about this idea for a really long time, and I’d like some of your feedback on where it should go. It would be a land based on the Disney cartoons of yester year, and it would feature attractions based on Mickey Mouse, the Silly Symphonies, Oswald, and potentially even Roger Rabbit. It would be like a new take on ToonTown, this time fused with modern technology and timeless charm. It would likely take on animation courtyard in addition to any of the three areas I circled. I’ve also seen ideas of placing a similar land in front of Sunset Blvd, which is an option too. Just wanted to hear feedback before I start concept sketching :p!
2898E970-1E64-4D71-983C-7C24FBA4EB1E.jpeg

spacemt354

Chili's
I recall you talking about putting a ToonTown-esque land in one of your projects. Was this the general area?
View attachment 259877
Yes I think that was one where we had to connect Hollywood with Sunset - so with Fantasmic there I went with a Roger Rabbit Toontown vibe given the California theme too - but I actually like your location better seeing as it already is animation courtyard!

Daveeeeed

I’ve been thinking about this idea for a really long time, and I’d like some of your feedback on where it should go. It would be a land based on the Disney cartoons of yester year, and it would feature attractions based on Mickey Mouse, the Silly Symphonies, Oswald, and potentially even Roger Rabbit. It would be like a new take on ToonTown, this time fused with modern technology and timeless charm. It would likely take on animation courtyard in addition to any of the three areas I circled. I’ve also seen ideas of placing a similar land in front of Sunset Blvd, which is an option too. Just wanted to hear feedback before I start concept sketching :p!
View attachment 259876
You could also do a complete redo of the hub to make a nice lead-in into the land!

I absolutely adore Who Framed Roger Rabbit & Toontown, so I love the idea of doing the land justice. It deserves it!
Green, red, or blue would all work I feel.

You could use the left part of the blue plot for the Toontown, and the right for something new for Sunset Boulevard. The main attraction probably you would want behind, right? Or you could have two entrances: one from Toy Story land too.

I feel like an Epic Mickey ride would be nice;)

A couple of things to think about and ideas:
Sightlines matter, so watch out for the Rock n' Rollercoaster Showbuilding.
You could pull a Diagon Alley where it's themed to London on the outside, but once you enter you are in Diagon Alley. A covering could be cool too. So in this scenario, you go from Hollywood to Toontown. Part of it could have a glass covering like Diagon to avoid having to theme the showbuilding for RRC.

Grand Avenue would actually be a perfect location for Toontown because of the tunnel, like the film, and placemaking, but of course Star Wars is going there.:)

Last edited:

mharrington

Given the proximity to that new Mickey ride coming in, being based on that new series, of all things, I'm not sure if it's a smart idea. Guests might be confused as to which Mickey is the "real" one. I'm also not sure how I feel about the Silly Symphonies being represented only in the Studios park. As for Roger Rabbit, I hate to say it, but I think that time has long since passed.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
You could also do a complete redo of the hub to make a nice lead-in into the land!

I absolutely adore Who Framed Roger Rabbit & Toontown, so I love the idea of doing the land justice. It deserves it!
Green, red, or blue would all work I feel.

You could use the left part of the blue plot for the Toontown, and the right for something new for Sunset Boulevard. The main attraction probably you would want behind, right? Or you could have two entrances: one from Toy Story land too.

I feel like an Epic Mickey ride would be nice;)

A couple of things to think about and ideas:
Sightlines matter, so watch out for the Rock n' Rollercoaster Showbuilding.
You could pull a Diagon Alley where it's themed to London on the outside, but once you enter you are in Diagon Alley. A covering could be cool too. So in this scenario, you go from Hollywood to Toontown. Part of it could have a glass covering like Diagon to avoid having to theme the showbuilding.

Grand Avenue would actually be a perfect location for Toontown because of the tunnel, like the film, and placemaking, but of course Star Wars is going there.:)
I was considering that you would go into a merger of the Hyperion/Burbank studio buildings. It would contain several exhibits based on Walt Disney and his life (likely a relocation and redo of One Man’s Dream). Then, there would be a giant movie theatre with a screen featuring ToonTown. Guests would then realize it’s not just a screen, but a real world they can enter!

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Given the proximity to that new Mickey ride coming in, being based on that new series, of all things, I'm not sure if it's a smart idea. Guests might be confused as to which Mickey is the "real" one. I'm also not sure how I feel about the Silly Symphonies being represented only in the Studios park. As for Roger Rabbit, I hate to say it, but I think that time has long since passed.
Let’s say, hypothetically, this just adds a couple of restaurants, meet and greet locations, and two C-Tickets. One of the C-tickets could be a Silly Symphony boat ride, and the other could just be a port of CarToon Spin (because let’s be honest here, Disneyland is going to use that space for Runaway Railway at some point). Couldn’t DHS use a small section of the park with a couple of family rides?

spacemt354

Chili's
Let’s say, hypothetically, this just adds a couple of restaurants, meet and greet locations, and two C-Tickets. One of the C-tickets could be a Silly Symphony boat ride, and the other could just be a port of CarToon Spin (because let’s be honest here, Disneyland is going to use that space for Runaway Railway at some point). Couldn’t DHS use a small section of the park with a couple of family rides?
For almost a decade, Mickey's Philharmagic and Mickey's Toontown Fair co-existed in the same park, not to mention the SpectroMagic Parade with Mickey, and the Mickey Meet and Greet in the Plaza Gardens. ;)

I don't see a problem with two different generations of the character as well as many others being in DHS -- it makes sense to me!

Daveeeeed

Classics don't die. Sure it may not be the most relevant thing in the world, but Toontown, it's just genius. it's a real shame it has not been done justice.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
For the attractions, I was thinking a Silly Symphony C-Ticket boat ride, a Roger Rabbit C-ticket dark ride, and possibly moving philharmagic from FL to the outside of this land. In the Hyperion studios building, there would be exhibits about Walt and his career, with a possible film in the Little Mermaid theatre. Philharmagic would likely take the Playhouse Disney theatre, with ToonTown behind the studios building, taking place of the majority of the Launch Bay/Magic of Disney Animation building and beyond. I also considered making Silly Symphony a stage show, Roger Rabbit a gritty boat ride, and not doing Philharmagic at all if there was no space. It’s better to start off ambitious and then whittle the project down to something more realistic! Thoughts? :bookworm:

mharrington

Isn't that kind of happening with the Toy Story land? As for the Runaway Railway coming to Disneyland, I don't know if that's happening or not. For all we know, it could take over part of the movie barn area of Mickey's, since the ride allegedly involves going into a movie anyway. Anyway, I think the Studios park is already getting some family rides, courtesy of the Toy Story area.

Classics don't die. Sure it may not be the most relevant thing in the world, but Toontown, it's just genius. it's a real shame it has not been done justice.

For better or worse, though, I think the parks need to be kept relevant, even if classics are not so.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Isn't that kind of happening with the Toy Story land? As for the Runaway Railway coming to Disneyland, I don't know if that's happening or not. For all we know, it could take over part of the movie barn area of Mickey's, since the ride allegedly involves going into a movie anyway. Anyway, I think the Studios park is already getting some family rides, courtesy of the Toy Story area.

For better or worse, though, I think the parks need to be kept relevant, even if classics are not so.
In the coaster maybe. But the Alien spinner isn’t adding anything significant to the park. Not to mention, the park doesn’t have any boat rides as it is.

mharrington

In the coaster maybe. But the Alien spinner isn’t adding anything significant to the park. Not to mention, the park doesn’t have any boat rides as it is.

Well, regardless, I don't think we can do anything like that spinner ride anymore now. All I can see now are just dark rides. Granted, one is a boat ride, but it takes place primarily in an enclosed building. As for Roger Rabbit, I hate to say it, but I think its time has long passed. Besides, I'm more partial to referencing the classic cartoons in a castle park, or at least in a park that already has distinct lands like the CA Adventure.

This is just me, but if you do the classic cartoons in the Studios park, that means you would have to limit such references ONLY to this park. And I also can't really picture me hearing this music below (at Disneyland's Toontown) in the Studios park:

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Well, regardless, I don't think we can do anything like that spinner ride anymore now. All I can see now are just dark rides. Granted, one is a boat ride, but it takes place primarily in an enclosed building. As for Roger Rabbit, I hate to say it, but I think its time has long passed. Besides, I'm more partial to referencing the classic cartoons in a castle park, or at least in a park that already has distinct lands like the CA Adventure.

This is just me, but if you do the classic cartoons in the Studios park, that means you would have to limit such references ONLY to this park. And I also can't really picture me hearing this music below (at Disneyland's Toontown) in the Studios park:

I can. I associate those songs with the early 1930s animation studios that coupled them with the cartoons they made. We will never see a land like this in Magic Kingdom again, and besides, it never really fit a castle park anyways. You’re used to it being in one, so you’re trained to see it fitting there the best. It would be like someone who grew up with the Sorcerers Hat in DHS. To them, it fits the park like a glove and shouldn’t have been removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom