1930s Disney Studio Land for DHS

mharrington

I can. I associate those songs with the early 1930s animation studios that coupled them with the cartoons they made. We will never see a land like this in Magic Kingdom again, and besides, it never really fit a castle park anyways. You’re used to it being in one, so you’re trained to see it fitting there the best. It would be like someone who grew up with the Sorcerers Hat in DHS. To them, it fits the park like a glove and shouldn’t have been removed.

I can't see those played in a studio park. If that's the case, classic cartoon references should be restricted to this park and nowhere else. And I remember the park more without the hat than with. To me, it will always be a studio park. I don't know, I thought Toontown Fair worked relatively well. You might as well restrict Mickey and the gang just to the Studios and nowhere else, which makes no sense since the Studios was not even around as long as the MK.

mharrington

It should also be noted that many of the Silly Symphony cartoons are based on European stories and as such would not fit in this park. The Magic Kingdom, maybe, but not the Studios.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Ok, I was thinking about this and came up with a new game plan. What if Philharmagic stays where it is (updated of course) and the Silly Symphony attraction becomes a show done Broadway style, with a bunch of songs from the famous cartoons? Then, Roger can become an E-Ticket boat ride, with a huge section of it being based on the ToonTown section of the film, with tons of animatronics based on famous Toons. You could have “Denny the Watercab (or Seacab)” as your ride vehicle. This would be a return of the Pirates/Small World/Splash style of animatronic boat rides that we really haven’t seen in a long time. Also, the land as a whole wouldn’t exactly be ToonTown, but the fictional town of Mouseton (a similar town from the comics, which I believe Mickey’s ToonTown was originally inspired by), and the boat ride would be the guests journey to the ToonTown we know and love.

spacemt354

Chili's
Ok, I was thinking about this and came up with a new game plan. What if Philharmagic stays where it is (updated of course) and the Silly Symphony attraction becomes a show done Broadway style, with a bunch of songs from the famous cartoons? Then, Roger can become an E-Ticket boat ride, with a huge section of it being based on the ToonTown section of the film, with tons of animatronics based on famous Toons. You could have “Denny the Watercab (or Seacab)” as your ride vehicle. This would be a return of the Pirates/Small World/Splash style of animatronic boat rides that we really haven’t seen in a long time. Also, the land as a whole wouldn’t exactly be ToonTown, but the fictional town of Mouseton (a similar town from the comics, which I believe Mickey’s ToonTown was originally inspired by), and the boat ride would be the guests journey to the ToonTown we know and love.
Good thoughts all around! I agree those Splash style AA boat rides have not been around since...well..splash! 1992.

mharrington

As someone who loves Roger Rabbit, both the movie and the ride, I hate to say it, but I think its time has long since passed. As I also mentioned, the Silly Symphonies are (occasionally) based on old fairy tales and fables, many of European descent.

I also am not sure how a Toontown-like city can really fit into the Studios park.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
As someone who loves Roger Rabbit, both the movie and the ride, I hate to say it, but I think its time has long since passed. As I also mentioned, the Silly Symphonies are (occasionally) based on old fairy tales and fables, many of European descent.

I also am not sure how a Toontown-like city can really fit into the Studios park.
K, we get it. You don’t agree with my idea, and as a big fan of the source material,I don’t agree with your reasoning against it. If you want to add to the project, feel free. If you don’t like it, click unwatch.

spacemt354

Chili's

They are changing the direction of the park to be less about Studios and more about themed lands - Toy Story, Star Wars, etc - so a Toontown would fit perfectly.

mharrington

K, we get it. You don’t agree with my idea, and as a big fan of the source material,I don’t agree with your reasoning against it. If you want to add to the project, feel free. If you don’t like it, click unwatch.

The only thing I can think of is something based on "Fantasia". Maybe that could be the water ride's theme.

I just think that if a Toontown-like area has to go in there, then it should not just be another Toontown area. It needs to blend, and the background music for this area should not just be plopped in there. It needs to blend with the rest of the park.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
The only thing I can think of is something based on "Fantasia". Maybe that could be the water ride's theme.

I just think that if a Toontown-like area has to go in there, then it should not just be another Toontown area. It needs to blend, and the background music for this area should not just be plopped in there. It needs to blend with the rest of the park.
No, I agree that it definitely should not just be another ToonTown area. I intended for the land to be entered through an idealized version of the old Disney Bros. cartoon studio. The town you would enter is Mouseton (not ToonTown), the place where the cartoon actors live when they are not making pictures. The whole point of the land would be to see the adventures of these characters outside of the cartoons you are used to watching them in. The problem with using Fantasia for the boat ride is that it actually fits Fantasyland and the castle parks much better than this land. Roger Rabbit is a good choice because that movie plays around with the idea that cartoons are actors working in real studios. And who cares if the IP is relevant now or not, SotS wasn’t and look how successful Splash turned out.

mharrington

No, I agree that it definitely should not just be another ToonTown area. I intended for the land to be entered through an idealized version of the old Disney Bros. cartoon studio. The town you would enter is Mouseton (not ToonTown), the place where the cartoon actors live when they are not making pictures. The whole point of the land would be to see the adventures of these characters outside of the cartoons you are used to watching them in. The problem with using Fantasia for the boat ride is that it actually fits Fantasyland and the castle parks much better than this land. Roger Rabbit is a good choice because that movie plays around with the idea that cartoons are actors working in real studios. And who cares if the IP is relevant now or not, SotS wasn’t and look how successful Splash turned out.

But few if anyone even know who Roger Rabbit is. And Disneyland's Toontown already kind of fills the role of where characters live when not doing films. And in fairness, there was already a presence, albeit not a big one, in this park's Great Movie Ride. And Mouseton, to me, just screams castle park more than studio park.

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Anyways...I don’t know how far off it’ll be possible to use holographic technology in attractions, but considering that they are using some sort of alternative for M&MRR, I think that should be used for the Silly Symphony show. It would feature the most iconic characters from the cartoons, such as the Three Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf, the Tortoise and the Hare, The Pied Piper, the Skeletons from the Skeleton Dance, Elmer the Elephant, etc. The show will be hosted by the Grasshopper, who opens the show with “The World Owes Us a Living”, and the backstage crew will be made up of the ants (who get mistreated for simply being behind the scenes). Towards the end of the show, the toons will be attacked by an outside villainous force, and will be saved by the ants. The performers of the show learn never to have too big an ego, and finish with a reprise of the first song, but this time as “We Owe the World a Living”.

mharrington

Anyways...I don’t know how far off it’ll be possible to use holographic technology in attractions, but considering that they are using some sort of alternative for M&MRR, I think that should be used for the Silly Symphony show. It would feature the most iconic characters from the cartoons, such as the Three Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf, the Tortoise and the Hare, The Pied Piper, the Skeletons from the Skeleton Dance, Elmer the Elephant, etc. The show will be hosted by the Grasshopper, who opens the show with “The World Owes Us a Living”, and the backstage crew will be made up of the ants (who get mistreated for simply being behind the scenes). Towards the end of the show, the toons will be attacked by an outside villainous force, and will be saved by the ants. The performers of the show learn never to have too big an ego, and finish with a reprise of the first song, but this time as “We Owe the World a Living”.

Maybe that outside opposition could be the Big Bad Wolf. It's just so obvious. But remember, as I said, these are primarily taken from European stories, so I would think they need to fit it into this park's theme somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom