18 month old on a plane

Gabe1124

Original Poster
Hey everyone, so we are headed down to the world in a couple weeks and I am getting a little nervous about my daughter and how she will be on the plane ride (about 2 and a half hours)? Was looking for suggestions on toys or anything else you bring to help keep them occupied. She really enjoys my wife's iPad so I am sure that will keep her busy for a while. Thought about a travel aquadoodle possibly as well. Just looking for suggestions Thanks!

mouselvrmom

When we have taken our daughter at that age, we brought lots and lots of snacks. She ended up with a pack of lifesavers that took her a good half hour to unwrap and eat. It kept her busy. She might have been closer to 2, now that I'm thinking about it, she was probably 23 months. We brought a portable DVD player that she was not that interested in. She really just wanted to be standing in the aisle, and the flight attendant allowed that saying that it was really easier than listening to her fuss. We just scooped her up when someone needed to go by. She did end up sleeping for a bit too, which was fabulous.

SAV

Are you bringing her car seat? I found that keeps them confined and in a comfort zone.

Otherwise...Benadryl! :eek: o_O

bsiev1977

Hey everyone, so we are headed down to the world in a couple weeks and I am getting a little nervous about my daughter and how she will be on the plane ride (about 2 and a half hours)? Was looking for suggestions on toys or anything else you bring to help keep them occupied. She really enjoys my wife's iPad so I am sure that will keep her busy for a while. Thought about a travel aquadoodle possibly as well. Just looking for suggestions Thanks!

Bring something you think would be appropriate for her to chew on, or suck. Like Lifesavers, or a sippy cup to put a drink in. It will help with her ears popping.

Disneykidder

Last summer when we went our youngest was 17 months old. All he wanted to do was run through the aisles and seat hop from his dad, to me, to his brothers. It was a long 2 and a half hours. On the way home he slept most of it so it was better. We did have coloring books, two iphones, a kindle and a tablet to keep him occupied and that really helped. Snacks are good, too.
This summer when we go, we are bringing the two iphones, tablet, ipad, kindle, snacks and a few toys. I'm actually dreading rhe flight. Last year he sat on our laps (on the way thee because home there was an extra seat open for him) but this year he will have his own seat. I hope that helps. Try to get your daughter to sleep or keep her really occupied.

Zman-ks

Bring something you think would be appropriate for her to chew on, or suck. Like Lifesavers, or a sippy cup to put a drink in. It will help with her ears popping.
75.gif

My suggestion also...

jkl2000

What time is your flight? That's usually an important factor. We never had very bad experiences, and we flew from NYC to WDW when our son was about the same age. If you bring food like cookies, remember that white cookies are a lot neater than Oreos, for example. That's my one piece of good advice. Things like lollipops might be good too, for emergencies. Any time we've flown with a car seat, we've regretted it - unless it's one that also works as a baby carrier, that might be good.

My wife has the right idea - she usually takes Dramamine and sleeps, and lets me deal wih the youngster.

Gabe1124

Original Poster
What time is your flight? That's usually an important factor. We never had very bad experiences, and we flew from NYC to WDW when our son was about the same age. If you bring food like cookies, remember that white cookies are a lot neater than Oreos, for example. That's my one piece of good advice. Things like lollipops might be good too, for emergencies. Any time we've flown with a car seat, we've regretted it - unless it's one that also works as a baby carrier, that might be good.

My wife has the right idea - she usually takes Dramamine and sleeps, and lets me deal wih the youngster.

Our flight is at 11:45 (central time) she sometimes takes a nap around 11 so I am thinking if we keep her up all morning and kind of wear her out she might doze off.

jkl2000

Our flight is at 11:45 (central time) she sometimes takes a nap around 11 so I am thinking if we keep her up all morning and kind of wear her out she might doze off.

Probably at some point during the flight she'll nap, then. Good luck - it's just a few hours! ;)

hsisthebest

Lifesavers definitely could be a choking hazard for an 18-month child. When we traveled with our 12-18 mon. children they usually go through about half a can of Gerber puffs, and juice from the flight attendants. ipads and the like are good too! Also, if it's possible, don't board early. We have learned to wait until they begin last calls for the flight- this cuts down on time in the plane. Once when they allowed people with infants/toddlers to board first, it was almost 45 min. till we were taxing away.

Gabe1124

Original Poster
Lifesavers definitely could be a choking hazard for an 18-month child. When we traveled with our 12-18 mon. children they usually go through about half a can of Gerber puffs, and juice from the flight attendants. ipads and the like are good too! Also, if it's possible, don't board early. We have learned to wait until they begin last calls for the flight- this cuts down on time in the plane. Once when they allowed people with infants/toddlers to board first, it was almost 45 min. till we were taxing away.

Yeah we don't do any suckers or life savers with her yet, don't trust her with those. Great tip about boarding early! Didn't really think about that. Thanks!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I've traveled with my kids since they were 14 months and 2 months respectively fortunately without issue. Both when young actually fell asleep because of the motion. The flipouts usually are because of ear issues. I had a poor tot behind me screaming her fool head off. The flight attendant suggested to the Mom to get her to keep swallowing a trick you need to really practice before the tot is upset.

I would give them a bottle to drink when we were taking off and landing, for some reason landing is worse.
Pacifiers work too. Then I moved onto suckers as stated already. These kind add some control to the parent cause you can hold onto it, keeping your finger through it.

images

I had a Mary Poppins kids bag to keep them entertained. Sticker books, paintless paint books (similar to a coloring book) that a tiny capful of water and Q-Tip as a brush kept them entertained forever. Tip: Pack a whole different set of Mary Poppins bag stuff in your suitcase for the trip home. Keeps them focused on new stuff.

jmorri26

Ours just flew at 18 months (gets harder the older they get!) and here's what we brought-

STICKERS! Buy. Tons. Our son kept busier most flights with stickers, letting him pull them off and stick them on us.
Fruit snacks/goldfish crackers/animal crackers. Give them to them. Repeat til it wont work.
Sippy cup full of juice/water/etc
A couple (NEW) books. That was a tip someone told me once- get new books you know theyll like and surprise them.
Crayons. The little 4 pack Disney gives at restaurants type dealy. Napkins and paper, he was super entertained
A small travel magnadoodle. Its like crack for ours.
Iphone with cartoons we knew hed like. Only had to use this once

He was a traveling pro with all this. Really was just a few things tossed in our bag, but helped a ton. He was silent and happy going and coming. We wanted to bring playdoh (the small travely sized ones) but I heard its a mixed bag with the TSA and playdoh so we left it. That alone would have entertained ours for 3 hours.

RememberWhen

Ours just flew at 18 months (gets harder the older they get!) and here's what we brought-

STICKERS! Buy. Tons. Our son kept busier most flights with stickers, letting him pull them off and stick them on us.
Fruit snacks/goldfish crackers/animal crackers. Give them to them. Repeat til it wont work.
Sippy cup full of juice/water/etc
A couple (NEW) books. That was a tip someone told me once- get new books you know theyll like and surprise them.
Crayons. The little 4 pack Disney gives at restaurants type dealy. Napkins and paper, he was super entertained
A small travel magnadoodle. Its like crack for ours.
Iphone with cartoons we knew hed like. Only had to use this once

He was a traveling pro with all this. Really was just a few things tossed in our bag, but helped a ton. He was silent and happy going and coming. We wanted to bring playdoh (the small travely sized ones) but I heard its a mixed bag with the TSA and playdoh so we left it. That alone would have entertained ours for 3 hours.

Lots of little things is great. Also, wrapping them gives the kiddo a quick excited "I'm getting a present!" feeling. My sister-in-law did this on a long trip (5 hours) with their almost 2yo twins. Lots of little things wrapped in plain brown paper. They had more for the trip back. There's a chance TSA will want to see inside, but if its stuff like stickers, books and crayons you should be fine.

SMS55

It depends on the child. When we flew from Miami to New York City it wasn't fun for us. On the way there we got a late morning flight and after lunch she napped but on the way back she didn't nap. My daughter is a very active kid. She has lots of energy and loves to run. I was not going to let her run up and down the plane so she was fighting with me the whole time. I told my wife that it wasn't a good idea to have gone and I said we won't fly til she's five and we can occupy her with movies. Most people on the flight were understanding. They made comments like "she has a healthy set of lungs" and stuff. We were very apologetic and most people were fine but it was still embarrassing that our daughter was "that child." It's funny I didn't want to go because my wife's step sister was gettin married. I had barely spoken to her in 5 years and this year my father in law divorced that witch that is my wife's evil step mom. I had to throw some Disney references in there but they were accurate.

DRC68

We packed a carry on for each of our girls. Portable DVD player, Lots of Disney dvds, tons of snacks, coloring books and crayons (not markers!), travel sized tissues and wipes...all sorts of goodies and maybe a last minute surprise too. All went well with them but the Benedryll
(Auntie Bennie) was never our of arms reach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom