17 Years Ago: We Did Have Wings

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I think where the animatronic of Buzz is with the viewmaster is where the first best location to see the globe with the omnimovers going into it was. Also to the viewing right of where Buzz and the viewmaster was, was one of the fake concourse six signs that flashed on and off at certain points. 'Wisper Jets to the Bahamas" :lol:

The speed tunnel since it opened in 1972 is still a treat to experience today, though you greet aliens and not clouds and tarmack.

Surprisingly it is the exit que that has stayed the most intact. Save rotating belt and platform, somewhat similar architecture. I thought it would be nice if they had a plane or seagul on the wall just for fun. :cool:

You know, one of the most prized posetions came from the concorse six gift shop/ eastern air line promo store right near the exit. They would give you a free pair of wings pin in the early days, and sometimes would give you a free postcard.

BalooChicago

Man.... It's hard when people start mentioning dates that make you feel old... "Before my time"... OUCH! :) I have always missed If you had wings... It was always one of our favorites... Thanks for the links!

MichRX7

Premium Member
Originally posted by aimster
All you If You Had WIngs folks will enjoy this link:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/iyhw-main.htm

Ok, that link officially just creeped me out. It compared IYHW to ATIS@DL.

When I was really little we went to DL and rode Adventure Thru Inner Space. My Dad had me scared to death that they were really going to shrink me down and I'd never grow back.

It's a good thing I never knew IYHW shared the exact same ride system, lol...

MKCP 1985

Oh, I found it. Kudos for bringing back memories of (1) the Carribbean traffic cop directing traffic, then flamingos; (2) the charter boat tourist fisherman posing with his fish that grows and shrinks in size; (3) the group of tourists happily climbing Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica; and (4) the Speed Room and Mirror Room.

Even with its good points, this was an attraction that needed to go away from TOMORROWland, as there was nothing futuristic about it. It was a plug for the travel industry, ironically, while most people experiencing it were already on vacation/holiday.

I don't know where it would fit in today's WDW. If Main Street USA was ever "updated" to turn of the 21st century (God forbid!), maybe it could go there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom