150 WDW photos from 1980

Laura

Premium Member
Static-X said:
Ok who the heck was the character with an orange for a head? I was born a year after these pics were taken so I don't remember seeing him or her in a Disney film or tv show and definitly don't remember seeing him/her at the parks.

I was going to say the same thing! I was born in late 81 and didn't take my first Disney trip till 82 and I dont recall ever seeing that Orange head guy. Is he supposed to be a Florida orange or something?

STGRhost

Great pics! The biggest difference I noticed is in the fashions! :lol:

Re: the "Big Orange Head" Character - that is the Florida Orange Bird. He was created by Disney for the Florida Orange Growers, to generate intrest... Crap - I just discovered the cute little site about the bird (Little Orange Heaven) is gone! I got this from Jim Hill Media, though, and it's similar to info I found elsewhere:

"FLORIDA CITRUS
Florida Citrus will sponsor the Tiki Room in Walt Disney World. Our contract states that we cannot use anything but Florida Citrus products on the property. Individual brands cannot be promoted, only citrus from Florida. (COMMENT: The Florida Orange Bird was designed by Disney and featured on a variety of merchandise from banks, records, bobble heads, plates and cups and more. The Orange Bird was created for the Florida Citrus Growers when they sponsored the Magic Kingdom's Tiki Room. He also appeared in commercials and an educational film called "Food and Fun: A Nutrition Adventure" that was released in September of 1980. There was even an Orange Bird walkaround costumed character who was outside the Sunshine Tree Terrace where Florida Orange Juice was sold. A smaller likeness of the Orange Bird sat in the branches of the Sunshine Tree. The sponsorship ended in 1986.)"

The products are still collectors items, and can sometimes be found on Ebay. (Amazing, all the useless knowledge my brain stores...)

TP2000

There's no nice way to say this, and it's late here in California and I'm tired, so I'm just going to come right out and say it....

Everyone in those pics from a quarter century ago looks so SKINNY! Everyone is slim and trim, they fit in their clothes, and there are no fat people riding around in ECV's.

There, I said it. I feel better now, even though I need to lose a few pounds myself. But my how Americans have gotten fat in the last 10 years or so! :zipit:

Empress Room

Discovery Island??

I noticed on a couple of the pictures a sign for launches to "Discovery Island." I'm assuming that it's the same island in Bay Lake that became the bird sanctuary. As I recall, the island was also known by another name at some point in time. Anyone remember the name and when the theming changed?

Cynderella

Does anyone know if that Boa is still on the Jungle Cruise? I dont remember seeing it the last time I was on it in November. Just wondering :wave:

Looking at those pictures makes me want to sing the "Brady Bunch" theme song. The clothes, the hairstyle, wow, brings back memories. I especially like the pic with the guy in his suit pants and vest. I just have one word for that....pimpin' :lol: .

Journey

1980, seems like a million years ago!

It was only 24 years!

I loved the pictures! The one word that came to my mind while looking at them is ....Timeless..... WDW is just timeless! :king:

Some other things I noticed ; this was before mylar balloons, all the ones in the pictures are latex.

Sideburns on men, lots of beards and collar length hair!
Could it be the beginning of the 'Mullet' hair style?

Is the Indian Chief still on horseback in the park?
If not was it removed for Political Correctness?

Thanks for the glimpse into the past!! :wave:

Mom's the word

Empress Room said:
I noticed on a couple of the pictures a sign for launches to "Discovery Island." I'm assuming that it's the same island in Bay Lake that became the bird sanctuary. As I recall, the island was also known by another name at some point in time. Anyone remember the name and when the theming changed?
I think it used to be something like Treasure Island, my family actually took a boat over and walked around, that was in the mid-70's. It was kind of neat with an old shipwreck on the beach. Loved the pics by the way, it was like a little trip to the park. Thanks for starting my day off right. :)

WDWFanatic

I want those mickey balloons back. I remember they had a real thin string and we would tie one on to my sisters stroller so we could find it. Man I miss those early disney days. :( I thought discovery island always had the same name.

Atta83

WDWFanatic said:
I want those mickey balloons back. I remember they had a real thin string and we would tie one on to my sisters stroller so we could find it. Man I miss those early disney days. :( I thought discovery island always had the same name.

I saw those old Mickey balloons when i was there this summer...I wanted to get one but had no money ..... :cry: :cry:

Empress Room

You are correct...

Mom's the word said:
I think it used to be something like Treasure Island, my family actually took a boat over and walked around, that was in the mid-70's. It was kind of neat with an old shipwreck on the beach.

My recollection is that is was known as Treasure Island as well, and had more of a pirate theme. I never went there when it was Treasure Island, but visited several times when it was Discovery Island. In fact, some of the pirate theming, including the shipwreck, remained when it was Discovery Island. If you rent a water mouse boat, by the way, you can still zip past the island and see the old shipwreck on the beach...although it's looking a little worse for wear now that the island is abondoned.

Lauriebar

Treasure Island opened up in 1974 and then in 1978 the name was changed to Discovery Island. The website Widen Your World has a great description of the attraction and photos!!!:)

Mom's the word

Lauriebar said:
Treasure Island opened up in 1974 and then in 1978 the name was changed to Discovery Island. The website Widen Your World has a great description of the attraction and photos!!!:)
Thanks so much for the link, thought maybe the name change was a figment of my imagination. Good to know my memory is not all gone. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom