15 things you would do to improve UOR

AswaySuller

Care to elaborate on that and contribute to meaningful discussion?

It's dated even with its updates, it's a 1990 attraction in 2012.
The Preshow is cheesy and confusing.
The ride actually sucks now, the effects are pretty poor and I would Imagine expensive.

I do think they greatly improved it turning it into disaster and the trailer at the end is funny.... I do enjoy that.

But For a show building of that size.... I just think they've scrapped better attractions than "disaster"

Horizonsfan

Hmmm...15? I'll give it a go::D

1. Eliminate the locker requirements at so many attractions - Many could easily offer on ride pouches.

2. Remove the Carnival booths at IOA & US - It isn't ok that these are at AK and they shouldn't be at Universal either.

3. Reduce the number of Photo hawkers - They have no tact like Disney, they're highly obnoxious

4. Have more family attractions - Way too few attractions that the whole family can and wants to do together.

5. Make use of the old Murder, She Wrote Space - Prime attraction real estate

6. Rip out T2:3D - It's really dated. It's Uni's equivalent to HISTA.

7. Rip out Toon Lagoon - At the very least, get rid of Dudley Do Right. The whole land is very limited in its thematic appeal. (At least with the properties they utilize). The idea of using Hanna Barbara instead is an intriguing one. IMO, The Jetsons and Flintstones are far more well known than Dudley and Popeye.

8. Camouflage the HP showbuilding - Really ruins the immersion of Hogsmead

9. Expand/Overhaul Jurassic Park - Easily could use a Jeep ride or some other attraction. Triceratops Encounter & Camp Jurassic are under utilizing valuable real estate.

10. Upgrade ET - a great family attraction and the only real classic surviving untouched. The preshow could use a refresh as could some of the animatronics.

11. Improve Quick Service - like has been said, it leaves a litttle to be desired

12. Rip out Shrek - If I wanted to hear pistons for 10 minutes I'd go hang out at Meineke.

13.Redo Kids Zone - With the exception of ET it could all go (Animal Actors, Fievel, Barney, Woody, and Curious George) The area lacks a cohesiveness and is ripe to be replaced by a couple of family friendly attractions. I like the OP's idea of a Nickelodeon/Dreamworks area.

14. Rip out Rip Ride & Rockit - I actually enjoy this attraction.The problem is it has the reliability of Rocket Rods and really ruins the feeling of the original park. There's also no real way to save it. So I say scrap it or sell it to a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park.

15. Add a moderate resort -would really compliment the existing offerings.

Skip

Ok so imagine you are made the big boss at UO, what would you do to make UO it better?

My 20 are

1. Change twister to it being a production company that is trying to make a movie about twisters and they want you to be the star's of the show
main changes would be
-change and shorten pre show
-add more effects to the show
-add more intensity to the show
-make the show longer

This operationally wouldn't work - the preshows and mainshow are the same length so the theaters empty into the next simultaneously. If anything, you could have two preshows half as long as the main show - but then you'd lose guest capacity, as only one preshow room could be occupied at any given time. Instead, they should just ditch Twister - it's a dull attraction based on a dull property, and it's kind of redundant (as everything Twister does, Disaster does it better).

2. Completely repaint IOA

Why? The only areas that probably need it are the Dragons, Dudley, and Seuss. Everything else looks pretty good.

3. Add a jeep ride to JP

Helicoptours would be a much better addition - it'd allow for a more family audience, it wouldn't be constantly compared to Countdown to Extinction, and it wouldn't have the exact same plot as the River Adventure.

4. Refurb MIBAA, JPRA,Mummy, and bring them into the 21st century

MIB is fine (but could use some new aliens if they're feeling generous). Mummy needs a complete story/effects rework in some areas, though the ride is still fun and occasionally impressive. JPRA needs all its dinos replaced and new ones added (which sadly won't happen).

5. Make the Hulk smooth again

Easier said than done... smoothness can be determined by the train and where you sit on it. It could use a bit of work, though.

6. Give dudly too actual AA's and shows scenes

This would be awesome and very much needed, but I doubt it'd ever happen.

7. Same with Popeye and bluto

I actually think Popeye's presentation is great and looks far superior to Dudley's. If they could just keep all the animatronics/effects working...

8. Turn Kidszone into a Nicktoons/dreamworks area

I say ditch Fievel (as much as I like it, it's past its prime and relevancy) and put in the Spongebob area... leave Curious George alone. Maybe cut Barney for something else. Woody Woodpecker should stay (especially given the upcoming Illuminations film).

9. Turn the LC and backstage area behind it into a LOTR land

Not enough room. This could maybe work in the plot between Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park, but it'd probably be sorta tight.

10. Add a water park in the area to the south of IOA

Supposedly in the works... :)

11. lower food price

Not necessary, I don't think.

12. Better food quality

The food at Universal is actually very good in my experience...

13. Raise pay for TM's

Definitely easier said than done.

14. give HRRR new trains

Yes please!

15. Give toon lagoon a hanna barbara ride.

Hanna-Barbara is past its prime, frankly - and it doesn't fit in with the rest of Toon Lagoon. The only major properties I could see left for Lagoon expansion would be Rocky & Bullwinkle (maybe but unlikely) and Calvin & Hobbes (Waterson is ultra-protective of the characters, so I doubt it).

Thoughts in bold

hack2112

Disaster is a terrific attraction, IMO. It's fun, funny, and the ride portion still wows.

If by fix you mean revert back to the stale Earthquake show...I'll pass.

Most definitely not what I mean. It's my favorite attraction.

I just think that they need to [redacted] and [redacted]. You know, fix it.

JT3000

Most definitely not what I mean. It's my favorite attraction.

I just think that they need to [redacted] and [redacted]. You know, fix it.

I... don't... get it.

As for what I'd do, well that's simple really -- use the available space. Tearing anything else down at this point is unnecessary. Except Twister. That has to go like a bad habit. But other than that, I'd like to see the few expansion plots that they actually *do* have finally USED instead of just replacing everything. I'm tired of getting new attractions without getting MORE attractions, especially with the annual price hikes that are largely unwarranted. People think Universal has no room to expand because they refuse to use the land they do have.

From an operations standpoint, they could do a better job of staying on top of things in need of painting and/or fixing, but so could their competition. Nothing new there.

Oh, and can we please hide that big white box that's been ruining Jurassic Park's theming for the past several years? It's embarrassing that nothing has been done about this.

AswaySuller

I... don't... get it.

As for what I'd do, well that's simple really -- use the available space. Tearing anything else down at this point is unnecessary. Except Twister. That has to go like a bad habit. But other than that, I'd like to see the few expansion plots that they actually *do* have finally USED instead of just replacing everything. I'm tired of getting new attractions without getting MORE attractions, especially with the annual price hikes that are largely unwarranted. People think Universal has no room to expand because they refuse to use the land they do.

I agree 100%, this really angers me at Universal.
Does anyone know why they refuse to use the expansion pads that they do have?

I really don't get it?

Are they waiting until they've got something big up their sleeve? Because if so, what's bigger than potter? I'm just worried that by tearing out classics they're going to lose me before they pull whatever it is they're holding back for out of the bag.

Skip

I... don't... get it.

As for what I'd do, well that's simple really -- use the available space. Tearing anything else down at this point is unnecessary. Except Twister. That has to go like a bad habit. But other than that, I'd like to see the few expansion plots that they actually *do* have finally USED instead of just replacing everything. I'm tired of getting new attractions without getting MORE attractions, especially with the annual price hikes that are largely unwarranted. People think Universal has no room to expand because they refuse to use the land they do have.

From an operations standpoint, they could do a better job of staying on top of things in need of painting and/or fixing, but so could their competition. Nothing new there.

Oh, and can we please hide that big white box that's been ruining Jurassic Park's theming for the past several years? It's embarrassing that nothing has been done about this.

This, this, this. There are so many spots of unused/under-utilized land on the Universal property it's staggering, and it's an insult when you've got all this space yet you're tearing out famous, classic attractions for the next big thing. Universal is often referred to as a half day park, which I disagree with - but both parks need to have their attraction count INCREASED, not just swapped, otherwise there's little incentive to stay beyond 3 days (if that). There needs to be MORE to do, not just DIFFERENT stuff to do.

Agreed, particularly on Dragon Challenge, Dudley Do-Right, Mummy, ET, and Popeye.

Still surprises me this hasn't been dealt with. Some thicker foliage would be nice. I've always thought that they could blend the side of the showbuilding that you see going up the first JPRA lift by printing a large Jurassic Park log on it - make it look like it's just another Jurassic Park facility. Everywhere else though requires either more rockwork or more foliage to adequately theme.

JustInTime

Just went to both parks yesterday. I had only been to Islands of Adventure before. First off, Universal Studios is a much better park than Islands of Adventure. Islands of Adventure is a true half day park. We were done with everything by around 11:00 am. Most of my gripes are with Islands of Adventure. But there were several things that I saw that needed work:

1. Repaint Dr. Seuss. Just about the worst show I haver ever seen. It looks more like easter land rather than Seuss land. The worst part is, you can tell that they repaint just sections that really need it. Like the arch way had random bright bands of color where it has been repainted over the years. It looked really bad. Not to mention, that is what everyone sees before they enter the Wizarding World. It's pretty obvious that when the Cat in the Hat's hat is pink, it's time to invest in some paint...

2. Jurassic Park: This sections was clearly mishandled. I don't get it. So many areas of opportunity here.

3. Whatever the toon area is called in Islands of Adventure: I didn't ride a single ride in the section. Very unoriginal attractions and characters that I just don't care about. They need to pick better franchise to invest in and revamp this area.

4. Marvel Island: This area felt like Six Flags. Little to no theming. It doesn't feel like you are entering marvel world. Really bad theming.

5. Islands of Adventure' Islands: Harry Potter feels out of place. What Potter does is transport you TO the Wizarding World. It feels like you are walking in the world. All the other sections fail to do that. I think all the other islands need to be redesigned to match what Potter has to offer.

6. Better cleaning crew: While at Universal Studios monday, it wasn't very clean. There were still remains of Saturday's Mardi Gras celebration of the ground. It looked like it hadn't been swept at all. And this is 2 days later.

7.) Utilize the classic Hollywood Monsters: I feel like the Horror genera is underrepresented. A dark ride based on all the classic movie monsters would be perfect.

8.) Twister: Remove the ties to the film and just theme it around a disaster film.

9.) Universal's Kiddie area: Give it more TLC. Build a better facade for E.T. and refub the ride. It needs it. The movie posters outside the ride are over 10 years old now. No excuse for that. Get rid of Barney. Add something of substance.

10.) Dinning: More Table service options

11.) Mummy: needs HD badly...

12.) Beetlejuice's Graveyard Review: It feels like it's in the wrong place...you know, in the middle of a New York street. And where was the Graveyard?

13.) Meet and Greet: Need to have a bigger budget. They Meet and Greets feel so cheap and side-of-the-road.

That's about it. I actually really enjoyed both parks. They don't hold a candle to Disney, but I could see myself adding an extra day in my next Disney trip for the 2 parks.

GLaDOS

4. Marvel Island: This area felt like Six Flags. Little to no theming. It doesn't feel like you are entering marvel world. Really bad theming.

God I hate this. I really do. Marvel is EASILY one of my favorite themed lands in all of Orlando. It has terrific theming and details that go back to Marvel's comics.

5. Islands of Adventure' Islands: Harry Potter feels out of place. What Potter does is transport you TO the Wizarding World. It feels like you are walking in the world. All the other sections fail to do that. I think all the other islands need to be redesigned to match what Potter has to offer.

Sorry you feel that way, but I completely and entirely disagree.

flynnibus

Premium Member
These uni threads always seem biased to me by people tired of the same attractions because simply they have seen them enough - vs weighing their value as an attraction to new or less frequent visitors.

Plussing like adding more to Dudley to look at.. I get. Rip it out? Why? it's a freaking awesome water ride

Plussing like improving the motion platform for shrek.. I get. Rip it out? Why? Shrek is still very well known, the attraction is good, and the preshow is top notch.

T2 is another... plus it.. ok, maybe update the preshow video.. but rip it out? Why, it still a great performance unmatched elsewhere.

Mummy? My only beef with mummy would be to fix some of the black levels in the projectors.. besides that its awesome.

Jurassic Park Water Ride? Seemed on par with every other AA animal raft ride but with a much more impactful climax.

The list goes on and on. After going through IOA/US last Oct I didn't feel like all these things were as miserable as people make them out to be here as hopeless, tear them out, etc.

I don't see these things holding UOR back - its more of the reputation and their target intensity range for their rides that keeps them from being viewed the same as Disney.

I think the park with the most need of an identity reboot is US itself. The stretch from Mummy to Jaws was more like a burden then enjoying the details in the street lot. Amity midway was not needed.. and gone now. ET unfortunately is lost on newer generations and has almost zero recognition. The park's detailed street scenes really just seem to lack a continuity/purpose that draws the 'passer by' into it all. There is no feeling of 'walking onto a movie set' so the purpose of the places seems lost on people. Bring some continuity/purpose to the areas.. maybe give up on ET, diaster, and Fear Factor, get a stage show people actually want to see.. and you'll go a long way baby..

JustInTime

These uni threads always seem biased to me by people tired of the same attractions because simply they have seen them enough - vs weighing their value as an attraction to new or less frequent visitors.

Plussing like adding more to Dudley to look at.. I get. Rip it out? Why? it's a freaking awesome water ride

Plussing like improving the motion platform for shrek.. I get. Rip it out? Why? Shrek is still very well known, the attraction is good, and the preshow is top notch.

T2 is another... plus it.. ok, maybe update the preshow video.. but rip it out? Why, it still a great performance unmatched elsewhere.

Mummy? My only beef with mummy would be to fix some of the black levels in the projectors.. besides that its awesome.

Jurassic Park Water Ride? Seemed on par with every other AA animal raft ride but with a much more impactful climax.

The list goes on and on. After going through IOA/US last Oct I didn't feel like all these things were as miserable as people make them out to be here as hopeless, tear them out, etc.

I don't see these things holding UOR back - its more of the reputation and their target intensity range for their rides that keeps them from being viewed the same as Disney.

I think the park with the most need of an identity reboot is US itself. The stretch from Mummy to Jaws was more like a burden then enjoying the details in the street lot. Amity midway was not needed.. and gone now. ET unfortunately is lost on newer generations and has almost zero recognition. The park's detailed street scenes really just seem to lack a continuity/purpose that draws the 'passer by' into it all. There is no feeling of 'walking onto a movie set' so the purpose of the places seems lost on people. Bring some continuity/purpose to the areas.. maybe give up on ET, diaster, and Fear Factor, get a stage show people actually want to see.. and you'll go a long way baby..

I think E.T. is better than T2. And I feel like it (E.T.) is a classic movie that everyone knows. Plus the line was long even then the park was kinda dead monday. Had longer wait times than the Mummy.

Captain Chaos

OK, I'll post a thought I was having about IOA... We all know a portion of LC is going away to make room for Hogwarts Express... But what about the rest of LC??? Nothing is even rumored, so, since we are playing Universal Creative, here is my idea...

THE LAND OF OZ...
- an inclosed theater for WICKED
- two C+ ticket attractions
- retheme Mythos to something munchkin related
- a Oz themed gift shop
- Yellow brick road in the pavement
- meet and greet of the Oz characters

The land would transition very well from Seuss Landing to Wizarding World...

Plus, they already have this in Universal in Japan:

universal_12.jpg

300px-Wicked-Osaka-Universal.jpg

JustInTime

OK, I'll post a thought I was having about IOA... We all know a portion of LC is going away to make room for Hogwarts Express... But what about the rest of LC??? Nothing is even rumored, so, since we are playing Universal Creative, here is my idea...

THE LAND OF OZ...
- an inclosed theater for WICKED
- two C+ ticket attractions
- retheme Mythos to something munchkin related
- a Oz themed gift shop
- Yellow brick road in the pavement
- meet and greet of the Oz characters

The land would transition very well from Seuss Landing to Wizarding World...

Plus, they already have this in Universal in Japan:

universal_12.jpg

300px-Wicked-Osaka-Universal.jpg

What?! I had no idea they had this!!! I always thought OZ should be a theme park!!!

EDIT: I just read up on the land. It was torn down in early 2011. :(

Captain Chaos

What?! I had no idea they had this!!! I always thought OZ should be a theme park!!!

EDIT: I just read up on the land. It was torn down in early 2011. :(

Yep, it closed in 2011, but that doesn't mean it can't go over well in IOA... it fits the BASED IN LITERATURE theme as well... Here is an image of the Oz characters, obviously not portrayed by the movie, but the books:

USJ-Wizard_of_Oz.jpg

Here is a little bit of Wicked from Universal Japan, imagine this in IOA (Or maybe as a broadway style show in USO?)

Wicked

invader

The only thing I would do would be get rid out of the 90s. Jurassic Park, The Mummy, Fear Factor, Twister... I mean like, really? I love the improvements they're making besides that. Oh, another thing would be to enclose the Hulk queue and improve it. It's absolutely disgusting every time I go in there (Yes, they added flat screens but they left some tube tvs! really?!)

Horizonsfan

The only thing I would do would be get rid out of the 90s. Jurassic Park, The Mummy, Fear Factor, Twister... I mean like, really? I love the improvements they're making besides that. Oh, another thing would be to enclose the Hulk queue and improve it. It's absolutely disgusting every time I go in there (Yes, they added flat screens but they left some tube tvs! really?!)

There's no way they'd get rid of JP or Mummy. They're both really popular. I actually think Twister is underrated and would benefit a lot from a revamped preshow. Fear Factor is just dragged out when they need the capacity. It does need to go away permanently.

Hulk needs some help. The single rider line takes you through what used to be/should be a cast only area. It's still really popular and in my book is the easiest experience to improve (redo/enclose queue, add more on-ride effects, etc)

JT3000

Whatever the toon area is called in Islands of Adventure: I didn't ride a single ride in the section. Very unoriginal attractions and characters that I just don't care about. They need to pick better franchise to invest in and revamp this area.

Marvel Island: This area felt like Six Flags. Little to no theming. It doesn't feel like you are entering marvel world. Really bad theming.

"Unoriginal" attractions? How are you going to judge attractions you didn't even experience?

And Marvel Island certainly is themed. You just don't get it. This seems to be a fairly common phenomena, and I don't understand it. Do people not know what a comic book looks like? I do, and I don't even read them.

Skip

"Unoriginal" attractions? How are you going to judge attractions you didn't even experience?

And Marvel Island certainly is themed. You just don't get it. This seems to be a fairly common phenomena, and I don't understand it. Do people not know what a comic book looks like? I do, and I don't even read them.

To be fair, Dudley has nothing show-wise on Splash Mountain. As a ride it's probably got the edge. Popeye, however, just might be the best rapids ride anywhere (both as a ride and a storytelling experience).

Marvel has so many allusions (both obvious and off the beaten path) to so many Marvel characters (big and small) it's simply staggering. The visual style is kind of a bold choice but I feel like it works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom