12 February 2003 Site Update: Project Gemini

Bryy2001

Anyone who says that EPCOT is a 'good mix' of thrills and family rides now is seriously dellusional. There is ONE ride right now that is for thrill seekers that's Test Track, Body Wars isn't thrilling and neither is Malestrom. Plus a Soarin' Over attraction would be for familys and thrill seekers, not just one or the other. If you completely focus your efforts on making a family park and ignore the coveted 13-24 age demographic who want thrills as well as other rides then you are making a gigantic mistake.

*jumps around house like a 5 year old on a sugar high*
WOOO!PARTY TIME!yay!ok so this is all good news. if there gonna make se a rollercoaster im sure there will be a learning purpose(hopefully) but this is such great news!
:D :cool: :sohappy: :king: :D

Bryy2001

I agree with imagineergurl, if it does end up to be a coaster Im sure there will be something educational there too. Maybe it will be more like Spiderman at IOA than anything else

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Bryy2001
Anyone who says that EPCOT is a 'good mix' of thrills and family rides now is seriously dellusional. There is ONE ride right now that is for thrill seekers that's Test Track, Body Wars isn't thrilling and neither is Malestrom. Plus a Soarin' Over attraction would be for familys and thrill seekers, not just one or the other. If you completely focus your efforts on making a family park and ignore the coveted 13-24 age demographic who want thrills as well as other rides then you are making a gigantic mistake.

First of all...I don't like being called delusional (only one l). Secondly...there will be two major E-ticket attractions once Mission:Space opens (and Body Wars can still be considered a thrill ride). For a park that has 10 rides that isn't too bad. That means that 1/5 of the parks attractions are Thrilling E-tickets. Also, a Soaring attraction would not be for families. Soarin' Over California has a 40" height requirement, which means the Epcot clone would need to have the height requirement also. So it is no longer a family ride. And they should concentrate on making a Family type park that incoroporates both, because last time I looked 13-24 year olds are part of families. And unless you are closer to the 24 year old you are probably going to be with your family. Remember Disney is a family place...they can have rides for everyone. There is no reason they have to have only thrill or mellow rides. Like I said before...DCA started like this and look what it is turning in to now. All the construction (besides ToT is for children).

figment99

Geez everyone, calm down. . .

All of this is still a few years into the future--plans may change. For those of you who are Epcot purists, you still have time to tape and retape your favorite attractions until they close (and that includes me--I'm hoping to have a decent tape recorder to preserve the current Spaceship Earth). So when the time comes for construction walls to rise, you'll be able to ride your favorite attractions over and over again from the comfort of your own home.

Point is, this is not a life-or-death issue here.

Sherm00

Originally posted by Horizons38
I agree Spidey, except that even if it isn't a typical Coaster, it again still will be Epcot without the one and only original SE , and i am sure most of us will be very sad to see it go:( Most of the changes up to now have not been for the better :(

actually, a coaster might give epcot the kick in the but it needs to be mainstream, I liked SE also was prety good, but in some ares it did seem dated. if it dose become a coaster I wouldn't be able to ride it but that dosn't make it a bad thing. as long as it's still inside the sphere and themed to epcot, then it will work. disney will still be for families, for those who don't like coasters there is always universe of energy , the land, JIYI with figment(ok thats was the only refurbishment I didn't like) and myfavorite walking the countries. I have come to the conclusion that things this day and age are diffrent, families are into diffrent things then they were even 10 years ago. the Great movie ride is good but the movies are getting older and older that it portrais and for the exception of a few classic movies. Alien encounter we never went on, now with the rehab and stitch sounds alot better. Old rides that we have fond memories may go and I am upset as the next, but that dosn't mean we can't enjoy the new rides. take Mr. Toad for example, that was always my most favorite ride, I was upset that they took it out then I rode pooh, and even though it wasn't the japaneese version that I hear is better, it was still great, and I thought alot better then Mr. toad which no seems outdated. Buzz lightyear is awesome. maybe adding a few coasters or thrill rides here or there isn't such a bad idea.

WDWspider

Originally posted by Sherm00
disney will still be for families, for those who don't like coasters there is always universe of energy , the land, JIYI with figment(ok thats was the only refurbishment I didn't like) and myfavorite walking the countries.

Shouldn't every child's dream of being able to ride in the Giant Ball be able to be fulfilled on any given day. I think it would be said to make a ride that will restrict a lot of people from being able to ride around in Spaceship Earth. That, in itself, is a very fun thing to do... when you reach the top... :cool: I could agree more if this was not the icon, and pace setter for the entire park. Not to mention, something that can be seen from anywhere in the park, and many many places outside of the park.

DDPGambit

If this rumor does come full circle, and SE as we know it is replaced by a coaster, I'm sure I would enjoy the new ride. HOWEVER, I would miss SE VERY much. Disney taking out SE is <i>kinda</i> like when Hulk Hogan left the WWF back in the early 90's. Sure the WWF carried on, and was still producing 'quality' entertainment, but a major part was gone. This is how Epcot will be. Epcot will still be the great and wonderous park that it is now, but it will certainly be missing a large piece of what makes it what it is.
If Disney releases a press release in the future stating that these plans are definite, I will be one of those "crazy" people picketing and such, like back in the Mr. Toad days. This, along with the Carousel of Progress's possible closure rumor is like the worst thing Disney can do to us long-time fans. It really boggles the mind.

WDWGarden

Originally posted by DDPGambit
If this rumor does come full circle, and SE as we know it is replaced by a coaster, I'm sure I would enjoy the new ride. HOWEVER, I would miss SE VERY much.

I agree...SE is my second fav Disney attraction of all time (long live CoP!!). I'll miss it terribly, but it is time for a change.

Let's go on this idea that the definition of "coaster" could be seriously stretched by a new SE attraction. I SERIOUSLY doubt that Disney would put a height limit on on such a well-known structure. It would clearly be a guest dis-satisfier to not allow children on the ride. Before we all worry too much, lets talk about ways that a family-friendly "coaster" could tell the same SE story in a more active way....

Bryy2001

For all intensive purposes Tower of Terror is the icon for MGM (not the water tower, cmon...it used to be but most agree that it is now TOT, some dont even know what the earful tower is) and small children can't ride that. The tree of life is Animal Kingdom's icon and the show in there is too scary for a lot of kids so the argument that kids should be able to ride EPCOT's Icon whenever they want really doesn't hold water with me.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by imagineergurl
*jumps around house like a 5 year old on a sugar high*
WOOO!PARTY TIME!yay!ok so this is all good news. if there gonna make se a rollercoaster im sure there will be a learning purpose(hopefully) but this is such great news!
:D :cool: :sohappy: :king: :D

Yeah, I agree, there's no reason to believe this coaster won't be educational. We find educational coasters all the time, and obviously any human being can learn stuff while speeding around at 60+ mph on a 2 minute RIDE. :rolleyes:

This is so wrong on so many levels, there's no comment to be made. If the future of SE is in the nads of M:S success, I hope it fails miserably... And you can let the heavy objects fly, this is my opinion on the matter. I agree with Horizons38, if I could barely handle Virtual Space Mountain I highly doubt M:S will become a favorite for me. It's really sad to see Walt Disney's pet project, the one he wanted to accomplish so badly when he died, become so twisted out of its original purpose. I've said this once and I'll say it again: every day around the forums I see more and more people saying how WDW has "cool rides". One thing that I remember from my CM time is that Disney doesn't have "rides", it has "attractions". If I wanted thrills, I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to fly to the US, I'd go to any amusement park down here. Unfortunately, EPCOT Center became Epcot, and we see more "rides" every day. Sure, this is how the world is today, kids and teens no longer care for dark attractions and omnimovers so theme parks have to adapt. But eventually, today's teen will be tomorrow's grampa. I just think they should remember that the reason Disney is here today is because it was designed so that families could have fun together. If businessmen have taken over to the point where everyone forgot this basic detail, then we're in trouble, and we'll have to pray for another miracle like the one who saved Disney in the 80's, cause I don't think it'd be able to pull itself out of the deep hole they're digging for themselves.

Pioneer Hall

For all intensive purposes Tower of Terror is the icon for MGM (not the water tower, cmon...it used to be but most agree that it is now TOT, some dont even know what the earful tower is) and small children can't ride that. The tree of life is Animal Kingdom's icon and the show in there is too scary for a lot of kids so the argument that kids should be able to ride EPCOT's Icon whenever they want really doesn't hold water with me.

Umm...Last I checked the Studios Icon was a 12 story Sorcerer's Hat. And kids can still go in to the Tree and watch the show. They may not like parts of it, but for the most part they will enjoy the show. But for a child to see SE and not be able to ride it, that would just be cruel. It is the icon of not just Epcot, but Walt Disney World in general. Everyone remembers their first encounter with Spaceship Earth.

WDWspider

ToT is not and has never been the Icon. Now it is definitely the Hat. ToT is purely a ride.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by MKCustodial
Yeah, I agree, there's no reason to believe this coaster won't be educational. We find educational coasters all the time, and obviously any human being can learn stuff while speeding around at 60+ mph on a 2 minute RIDE. :rolleyes:

This is so wrong on so many levels, there's no comment to be made. If the future of SE is in the nads of M:S success, I hope it fails miserably... And you can let the heavy objects fly, this is my opinion on the matter. I agree with Horizons38, if I could barely handle Virtual Space Mountain I highly doubt M:S will become a favorite for me. It's really sad to see Walt Disney's pet project, the one he wanted to accomplish so badly when he died, become so twisted out of its original purpose. I've said this once and I'll say it again: every day around the forums I see more and more people saying how WDW has "cool rides". One thing that I remember from my CM time is that Disney doesn't have "rides", it has "attractions". If I wanted thrills, I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to fly to the US, I'd go to any amusement park down here. Unfortunately, EPCOT Center became Epcot, and we see more "rides" every day. Sure, this is how the world is today, kids and teens no longer care for dark attractions and omnimovers so theme parks have to adapt. But eventually, today's teen will be tomorrow's grampa. I just think they should remember that the reason Disney is here today is because it was designed so that families could have fun together. If businessmen have taken over to the point where everyone forgot this basic detail, then we're in trouble, and we'll have to pray for another miracle like the one who saved Disney in the 80's, cause I don't think it'd be able to pull itself out of the deep hole they're digging for themselves.

All I have to say to that is Amen...

Perfectly said!

MKCustodial

Flik is scary for kids and ToT is the Studio's symbol? *note to self: plan another trip to WDW as soon as possible*

As fas as I know, park symbols are the ones portrayed on official park merchandise such as "four parks one world", and I've NEVER seen ToT on those. It's the Earfull (sp?) Tower, the Chinese Theater or the Sorcere's Hat.

Horizons38

Premium Member
Originally posted by MKCustodial

This is so true ! I now have everything on tape also (Horizons, WoM...) I cant ever imagine having SE on tape and that being enough for me and countless others for which Epcot IS SE ! :(

dopey

After some digging, I found the real dirt on this rumor:

As reported, it's going to be like Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. The "coaster" part, however, is that riders will listen to various songs by the 50's rock band, The Coasters. The attraction will stay the same, except in the revised version we'll also hear songs like "Charlie Brown," "Yakkety-Yak" and "Love Potion No. 9." It should be :cool:

Seriously, I have mixed feelings about this. I wouldn't mind seeing the attraction upgraded, but I would sort of miss what's there now. Granted, I haven't give this a whole lot of thought, but I can't imagine there would be a way to keep what's there and add a coaster element without destroying what's there. I'm sure that makes no sense to anyone else, but I know what I mean. :dazzle:

jwbeck3

Steve, you sadi it depends on how Mission: SPACE does, does that mean if it is popular then they will go on with Project Gemini? or does it mean that if it isn't popular they will go on with Project Gemini to boost attendence? I am extremely mad about the coaster rehab of SE, but you have to think if the other parts of Project Gemini (Soaring Clone and another atraction) outweigh the lose of SE, and right now I don't know the answer to that......it depends to me on what the other attraction is. SE is such a classic and is such an incredible ride in all aspects that I would be seriously distraught if it ever went away.

imagineer boy

I don't think that SE will have a roller coaster inside of it. It's just to small to have such a thing. I'm betting that it will be a simulator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom