12/17/06- 1:15pm. AK at Capacity - Entrance Closed

pheneix

Since Disney has it's own Fire Department, do they set there own occupancy levels?

Yes, Reedy Creek does set the occupancy levels, but the fire codes are more or less in line with what any professional fire marshall would set. Reedy Creek's codes are probably a little more conservative than the government standard.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Since they are a corporation, does that preclude them from releasing occupancy levels, unlike local fire department records which are public record?

jmvd20

While I have never read the RCID codes I did check generic national codes and there seems to be a gray area on public occupancy records for facilities with indoor and outdoor areas, such as a zoo, theme park etc... The main part of requiring posted capacities is for evacuation procedures, however they are geared towards evacuating a single structure not the entire area. While there are still set numbers for such places which are set by building codes there is nothing that says they must be made public.

juan

Fire Code - Cast Members = Guest Capacity

There are many other variables that I don't have time to describe, but the fire code requires that theme parks take their employees into account.

I was referring to CP's not working that were in the park but had come in through the back

RonAnnArbor

I was at AK on the 17th -- in fact, I got my blue cupcake for being the first in line at Pizzafari for lunch!

The park was certainly not as crowded as any other time I have seen it -- and many many attrractions were running at half-capacity (i.e. only one side of Premevil whirl was open, only one loading dock was being used on Dinosaur).

WDW will close a parks admission for a period of time for many reasons OTHER than the park being at capacity -- usually it is because there are not enough employees assigned to the park for the day (i.e. not enough cast members to run the rides).

You hold the gate for awhile until the park visitors disperse, and by 1:00 many guests are leaving the park already so an hour or so later you can reopen the gates again.

This thread took a wrong turn right out of the gate in assuming that AK gates were closed because they had reached capacity. They had not.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
This thread took a wrong turn right out of the gate in assuming that AK gates were closed because they had reached capacity. They had not.

I just posted what I was texted by the front entrance manager :)

jmvd20

However the capacity of the park depends upon the number of CM's as you yourself stated. Therefore the park was closed due to reaching it's capacity for that day, thus this thread did not take a wrong turn out of the gate.

RonAnnArbor

Exactly....no matter how much we argue in this forum about what "capacity" is for Animal Kingdom - it was NOT at "total capacity" for the day -- they may have planned for a capcity of 15,000 for the day -- and that is the "capacity" they reached on Sunday -- not the total capacity the park is capable of holding when it is fully staffed during summer or holiday peak.

i just got back from wdw not more than an hour ago, and i was at DAK on that day! in fact, thats around the time we left! weird, it didnt seem that crowded, buts it a good thing we got everest taken care of, first thing! full trip report coming soon

Jarboe

Capacities: Parking

Here's my tidbit:

Although it seems exact capacities are not known for the parks for full staffed days (to us at least)...I think the best clue we have is the size of the parking lots. If you look at them on Google Earth, EPCOT's is the biggest, with MK as a close second. AK seems just slightly bigger than MGM, but both these lots seem to be about half as large as their predecessors. I think this is the best way for us to gage the levels...and the EPCOT - 100, MK - 85, AK - 45, and MGM - 40 are probably in the ballpark. Whew!

PhotoDave219

Exactly....no matter how much we argue in this forum about what "capacity" is for Animal Kingdom - it was NOT at "total capacity" for the day -- they may have planned for a capcity of 15,000 for the day -- and that is the "capacity" they reached on Sunday -- not the total capacity the park is capable of holding when it is fully staffed during summer or holiday peak.

Proving that park capacity is Dynamic, rather than a hard and fast rule.

And total guests in one day is different from number of guests in the park at one time.

For example, Lets say the Fifth Gate has a "capacity" of 65k people at any one time, including rides, attractions, shows, and general areas.. They could have 200k total visitors for the day but never hit "capacity" because they never exceeded 65k at any one time.

PhotoDave219

Good god, do you people work for Disney CIA?

What about the AP article that is talking about tourism dropping in Orlando this year? Do we think they are wrong? Or is Disney keeping all the guests on property thereby skewing the numbers to look lower in greater Orlando? Could we have hit the peak and be seeing some smaller crowds in 2007?

Universal's attendance is lower than last years. Lord knows why because HHN had a lot of people. People actually coming to Florida for Vacation and specifically Orlando has oddly enough dropped. Yet more people keep coming to the mouse.... which is good in the short run for the company.

Perhaps the price of gas is catching up with everyone.

wdwmagic said:
According to my information, no WDW park has ever hit 100,000 (or even near). Also, all attendance records have been set in the last 7 years (with the 4 parks in place), none exist from before that time.

Steve, did they ever say how many people were in Epcot or the MK for NYE2000? Based on the stories I've been told about Epcot, they has an insane number of people.

mkt said:
I just posted what I was texted by the front entrance manager :)

Sure, blame it on a manager....they're the ones who said "Quick, put this on the internet!" ;)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Perhaps the price of gas is catching up with everyone.

High gas prices are actually a myth lately - they look high, but if you adjust for inflation, they're really not bad at all. It's just something the media grabbed onto and stuck with lately.

That's why my broke college student self can still afford gas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom