1 hit wonders

OldKeyWest24

Original Poster
After seeing the show on VH1, I'm an addict. I know like every one hit wonder ever! lol. Me and my friends learned the Dance to Come on Eileen..coz we are soo cool..lol. Im listening to Pass the Dutchie right now, I'm trying to learn the words.

my fav one hit wonders are..

1.) Come on Eileen

2.) Pass the Dutchie

3.) 99 luft ballons

4.) Its raining men.. (only in my dreams..lol)

The Macerana was number one. I was a macerana kid. I spent countless hours with my friends doing the dance ove rand over again! lol.

So whats everyones favortie one hit wonders?

Susan

PS Come On Eileen Rules!

Debbie

I have a good one for you. Ever hear Telephone Man? My mom loved that song and I still have the 45.

It went:
Hey baby, I'm your telephone man
you just show me where you want it
and I'll put it where I can
you can have it with a buzz
you can have it with a ring
and if you really want
you can have a ding a ling!

mightyduck

Originally posted by Debbie
I have a good one for you. Ever hear Telephone Man? My mom loved that song and I still have the 45.

It went:
Hey baby, I'm your telephone man
you just show me where you want it
and I'll put it where I can
you can have it with a buzz
you can have it with a ring
and if you really want
you can have a ding a ling!

Hmmm... In the late 70s/early 80s my dad's union buddies at the phone company had t-shirts made that said, "Let the telephone man put it in." They argued that it was advertising for the range of services available and to discourage the use of third-party work, but I distinctly remember them being told by the company they could *not* wear it while working in the field...

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I liked "Come on Eileen" and "99 Luft Balloons" (the German Version) when they first came out, but they got overplayed to the point I got sick of them.

Now when I hear them, it's hard to hear the actual song. It's more of a memory thing and when I hear them, my mind floods with all the parties and good times I had listening to those songs when I was younger.

Pass the Dutchie and It's Raining Men never really got played at the parties I used to go to. I think they seemed a bit too "mainstream" for the crowd I hung out with. Now if anyone starts reviving old songs by The Smiths, the Cure, The Violent Femmes etc. that will really take me back. Does anyone listen to those things anymore?

Thanks OldKeyWest24 for the interesting topic! It's interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who wasn't even born when the songs came out.

:wave:

mightyduck

Originally posted by garyhoov

Now if anyone starts reviving old songs by The Smiths, the Cure, The Violent Femmes etc. that will really take me back. Does anyone listen to those things anymore?

But we wouldn't consider them one-hit wonders, now would we, Gary? :) There's still a three-year old Cure calendar hanging on the bulletin board here....I just realized how faded Robert Smith is looking....

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by mightyduck

But we wouldn't consider them one-hit wonders, now would we, Gary? :) There's still a three-year old Cure calendar hanging on the bulletin board here....I just realized how faded Robert Smith is looking....

Wow! A three year old Cure calender? I thought I had heard they were breaking up 10 years ago or more and never really payed much attention past that. Are they still around?

mightyduck

Wow! A three year old Cure calender? I thought I had heard they were breaking up 10 years ago or more and never really payed much attention past that. Are they still around?

They always say the release is the last one.... This may have been it, but they put out a greatest hits compilation with a couple new songs last year....

disney_nutter

i think only the peole in uk will know this one but in was only a kid still primary school and i went out and bought the mr blobby song oh how class that song is.

OldKeyWest24

Original Poster
Yes, I LOVE the one hit wonders. I was watching I was like OMG i knwo that song! like the whole time watching it. It really kept my interest. I also liked "I Know what boys like" I have a shirt with that saying on it too. lol. Anyothers Please do share.

Susan

mightyduck

Originally posted by OldKeyWest24
Yes, I LOVE the one hit wonders. I was watching I was like OMG i knwo that song! like the whole time watching it. It really kept my interest. I also liked "I Know what boys like" I have a shirt with that saying on it too. lol. Anyothers Please do share.

Susan

Oh, The Waitresses! They also do "Christmas Wrapping" and the theme to Square Pegs (anyone else feel old?). [side note for young people: Square Pegs was an 80s sit-com about high school geek girls trying to be "cool." Starred Jami Gertz, Tracy Nelson, and a young Sarah Jessica Parker. Lasted one season.]

I got an album (yep, that's right: vinyl!) with "I Know What Boys Like" on it for Christmas that year, and my grandmother was horrified at the lyrics and made my parents take it away. :(

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by fridgepoliceman
Yes. Dexy's Midnight Runners were rainmakers. I love My sharona by the knack.

I can't hear My Sharona any more without thinking of Weird Al's My Bologna. I think it's the first song I ever heard by him.

How about Tainted Love? I think it was from a band called Soft Cell (Sell?).

monorail256

I can't hear My Sharona any more without thinking of Weird Al's My Bologna. I think it's the first song I ever heard by him.

How about Tainted Love? I think it was from a band called Soft Cell (Sell?).

My Bologna.. haha that was on VH1 the other day on like...Behind the Music Weird Al...funny! :lol:

OldKeyWest24

Original Poster
how bout that song by crash test dummies its like humming all the time its Hmmm Hmmm hmm...weird al did a cover of that too.

Susan

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I saw the Crash Test Dummies open for Elvis Costello once. They had a woman who could sing two notes at the same time. It was really freaky.:eek:

NowInc

Almost every bubblegum metal band in the 80s were one hit wonders....lets not get into THAT..hehe...

almost all the artists of the 80s were classified as one hit wonders..but the reality is that most of them had another hit..just not in the US ;)

Bands like Madness..Frankie goes to hollywood...Depeche mode....etc all had HUGE hits in europe after their US smashes.

There there are the fact that many bands since then have covered their one hits....(providing of course that the 80's hit wasnt a cover already)

Some of my favorite "one hit wonders" are (and their respective covers)::

Dont you forget about me - Simple Minds (breakfast club..yeah!) - covered by Life of Agony

Come on Eileen - Dixies midnight runners - covered by Save Ferris

Anarcy in the UK - The Se x pistols - covered by Megadeth, Motley Crue, Green Jelly (formerly known as Green Jello) and about a dozen others..

Epic - Faith no more (no band has covered tihs yet...but i plan on changing that!...i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE faith no more)

Smokin in the boys room - Brownsville station - covered by Motley Crue

I Touch Myself - The Divinyls - Covered by one of my personal favorites...the Genitorturers

Shout - Tears for Fears - Covered by Disturbed

Cars - Gary Numan - Covered by Fear Factory

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly - Covered by Slayer

Take on Me - A-ha - covered by Real Big fish

Tainted Love - Soft Cell - Covered by Mariyln Manson (yes yes..i know)

Ariel

Originally posted by mightyduck

Oh, The Waitresses! They also do "Christmas Wrapping" and the theme to Square Pegs (anyone else feel old?). [side note for young people: Square Pegs was an 80s sit-com about high school geek girls trying to be "cool." Starred Jami Gertz, Tracy Nelson, and a young Sarah Jessica Parker. Lasted one season.]

I got an album (yep, that's right: vinyl!) with "I Know What Boys Like" on it for Christmas that year, and my grandmother was horrified at the lyrics and made my parents take it away. :(

Wow!! Someone else remembers Sqaure Pegs!! I was just talking to someone about that the other day and they didn't know what it was....and yes, I feel old now!! ;)

Personally, 99 Luftballoons is my favorite, although I am very partial to "Wouldn't It Be Good" by Nik Kershaw. But, don't get me started on all the 80's stuff...I could go on and on.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom