#1 cartoon characer in the world?

butterflyminnie

Original Poster
DH and I were watching a loony toons DVD last night and someone on one of the special features claimed that Buggs was the # 1 cartoon character in the world (not surprising considering what we were watching:p )
Anyway, what do you guys think? I know this beeing a dsiney site, most are going to side with Mickey Mouse (me included:wave: ) but thinking about the old Disney shorts compared to loony toons, I'd have to say that Buggs cartoons are more funny than Mickey. The Donald shorts on the other hand are pretty funny...

Discuss

Jesùs_Carioca

I think the gist was that Disney Cartoons were more internationally known than the Warner Brothers...but sadly, i do not know how to back that information.

I still believe that Mickey Mouse seems like a more popular character than Bugs Bunny. Bugs cartoons do instill more humor than the old Mickey ones...but as you said, I have a thing for old Mickey Cartoons that make them seem much more beautiful than Warner Brothers ones.

If it's any consolation...it was fun to see them together in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" ? Haha.

PintoColvig

That Bugs would be the number one cartoon character in the world is laughable. Disney is truly a global corporation. I was recently in an impoverished area in a third world country. I had a small Mickey on my shirt and child after child easily recognized it. You could probably go into some of the most remote villages in the world and probably find a depiction of Mickey Mouse somewhere on something. Bugs Bunny, the #1 cartoon character in the world? I don't think so.

That's All, Folks!!

beachclubbasics

I think the gist was that Disney Cartoons were more internationally known than the Warner Brothers...but sadly, i do not know how to back that information.

I still believe that Mickey Mouse seems like a more popular character than Bugs Bunny. Bugs cartoons do instill more humor than the old Mickey ones...but as you said, I have a thing for old Mickey Cartoons that make them seem much more beautiful than Warner Brothers ones.

If it's any consolation...it was fun to see them together in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" ? Haha.

Mickey did show an impish side in that movie...when Bugs gave the spare tire to Eddie Valiant when he was falling , Mickey went right along with the gag! I didn't know that he had it in him! I also thinkthat the piano duel between Donald and Daffy was excellent..one is the negative of the other! In fact I angered Daffy at my local SF park by calling him the anti- Donald Duck..lol

Tom Morrow

There is no way. Mickey is known by everyone, and is instantly recognizeable - draw a circle with two smaller circles above it - everyone immediately thinks "Mickey!"

C&D

I suppose it would depend on how the question was asked. If it was who is the most famous cartoon character, I would think it would be Mickey, hands down. Now if it were who is the most famous, in cartoons character, I would have to agree that Bugs has had a much more famous cartoon career.

Astro_Digital

No I can see Bugs Bunny beating Mickey Mouse.

Sorry Disney site or not that is my feeling.

Bugs Bunny has be around almost as long.

There are many more cartoons, specials, and movies featuring Bugs and the other Looney Tunes.

They are funny compared to Mickey.

Hands down Bugs wins as the best Cartoon.
Hands down Mickey wins as a Corporation logo.

Almost too close to call, I would think.

I do agree wholeheartedly that the Looney Tunes cartoons seem to have more adult humor injected into them.
However, I do also agree that on an international level, Mickey would probably win. I don't doubt that people in impoverished nations with little to no access to media still can identify Mickey.
I think here in the U.S. the race would be a little closer, since most people grew up watching both.

I grew up watching Buggs, but then I got to grow up and visit WDW, and now I am a lover of the mouse!!!!:ROFLOL:

dave2822

A couple years back I remember reading some report about corporate icons or whatever fancy term they referred to it as ...

The gist of the study was how many 4 year olds could identify a character or an icon before they could even recognize some of their family members :lookaroun

And I remember Mickey was 2nd only to Ronald McDonald (96% of 4 year olds studied recognized Ronald before they could recognize some members of their family)

snakeislandboy

That would be a tough call. I've also read an article that mentions Superman as the most recognizable icon in the world. I don't think anyone can accurately measure that.

beachclubbasics

It is possible that Bugs is recognized more as a cartoon and Mickey is more recognized as the image behind Disney Corporate and the parks. Bugs had made more cartoons and , while he has been "spokesmodel" for SF for awhile, I think that the Disney Parks are more pervasive in their global advertising presence and certainly in attendance than SF is. Thus MM is known more as the "spokesmodel" for Disney resorts and Co.

I should also say that, while Bugs has maintained his presense as more of a "cartoon character", Mickey has become much more..and has matured above that designation.

Cmdr_Crimson

I know I'm gonna rant long about this one but..This debate has gone pretty long for fans of animation. It's no surprise that most of WB's Animators worked for Disney Friz Frieling and Chuck Jones being two that are familiar. Warner's approach to life was more edgy at the time and still is today where else can you put dynamite down your pants. Disney on the otherhand had the cutsey-ness factor on their side with the princess films and such. But, I guess when they found out how edgy Warner's cartoons were they decided to go along with that for Donald & Goofy. Any cartoon with mickey with a villian just had a fist-ta-cuff fight and Mickey winning at the end. But then any cartoon with mickey really revolved around Pluto which I think is bizzare. When Roger Rabbit's 3 Shorts came out they were as equal as any warner cartoon that showed mindless violence. The only cartoon that brought a darker edgier side of Mickey and what I think is by far the best one ever is Runaway Brain.

GenerationX

I'm not a fan of Bugs or Mickey (please don't hate me) but I can definitely see Bugs having the bigger career.
TV Guide puts Mickey at number 19 and Cartman from South Park is number 10. I'm a huge SP fan, and I definitely I don't agree with that.
http://animatedtv.about.com/library/extra/bltop50.htm
Interesting list. It's hard to argue with their top 9. If you're comparing the characters on a pure entertainment value scale from their cartoons only, the list is pretty good.

WDWFigment

I think the most recognizable cartoon character is Norm Mcdonald as the grim reaper from family guy.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

But seriously, why isn't Figment on that Top 50?

Also, I think if you have to add a "from ____" after a character's name (the case with Cartman) maybe they aren't great enough to merit that high of a spot.

Of course the list is Top 50, not fifty most recognizable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom