….

AndreainNY

I had a similar experience - only not with Disney. I married my college sweetheart, so many of my favorite college memories were with him. Our friends were "shared" friends and in fact, my college housemate married his younger brother.

Fast forward 4 years - I am 8 months pregnant and I discover he is fooling around. I confront him and he tells me he is leaving to be with her. CRUSHED!!! I felt like he "stole" my memories because they were too painful for me to relive. Add into that my friend - who wanted to support me but is married to his brother - and their marriage almost fell apart too. One thing I did was go to a counselor - this was all a bit too much to deal with with a newborn. One of the things we talked about was me taking back my memories. That's something I think you need to do with regards to Disney. Take it back. Make it yours again. The first time will be hard - don't go alone. Go with someone who understands and will listen. I went back to college for a reunion shortly after we split. I went to take back all of my memories. It was painful, but I felt better after I did it. I am 15 years removed from that time, and I can honestly say my memories are mine again. I can even laugh about some of the memories that include my ex and my friend and her husband are still my friends (in fact, they were just here about two weeks ago for a visit).

Don't give up Disney because of her!!! When you feel the time is right - go back and make NEW and better memories!!

Rinx

It seems that for you Disney magic and your then fiance went hand in hand. As if you can't have one without the other. I really don't see how you can get over this except for taking a new special someone to experience the world or go with a group of people where there's always something to talk about and not have to think about the weird feeling.

Tweedle Adie

The Disney Magic like Santa Claus is always there, and maybe at the moment you cannot feel it. Just picture this a few years from now, walking down main street, you, your spouse, and in between you a child seeing the castle for the first time. That look, that is pure magic, just hold onto that look and you will find the magic again.

I can definitely relate. Before I got married, I had taken three different girlfriends of mine to the mouse over the years, one of them I took multiple times. Fortunately when I met my wife, she was also a WDW lover and the most interesting part about that is she too had once dated someone with whom she made trips to Disney with. In that regard, neither of us felt threatened or upset that we had "previous Disney people" in our lives because we were both in the same boat. So, my wife is now my "official Disney companion" and we've started new traditions and new memories along the way.

I recommend trying to find someone else (when the time is right) who also loves WDW. Everything you're worried about will fade away...

mickeyfan75

I think you should plan a trip to WDW and treat yourself to some new experiences. Pick some things you've never gotten around to doing but always wanted to that way you'll have some new memories that won't be associated with things you used to do with your ex! Splurge on your self a little and have a good time, after all it is the happiest place on earth!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom