“Sunshine Protection Act” potential affect on operating hours, EMH, nighttime events, etc.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The school day could be made shorter.

Indeed. Schools and businesses can all just change their hours of operation by an hour and be done with it.

Of course, whatever time they decide will either wind up with them getting up in the dark in December, or, getting up four hours after sunrise in July. But, they can counter that by changing their schedule and having summer hours and winter hours.

Or they can all decide to change their clocks by one hour twice a year.

UncleMike101

For years people thought, probably correctly that DST vs Standard time was basically established for farmers coupled with the arrive of sunset and/or sunset and how that affected their work hours (chores) and the milking cycles for dairy production. As far as growing time it is the same no matter what time you place on the beginning or the end. Daylight will have the same duration.

Then things like time zones existed again for a reasonable lining up with, again, sunrise and sunset, but, the reason that it is important to have standard areas was for the purpose of scheduling transportation after the railroad extended across the nation and arrival times and departure times would be consistant within the confines of the mapped out areas. Again based on sunrise and sunset.

Many people feel that using DST expands the amount of daylight. It does not, it just changes what hours that daylight exists in. All that said I don't think that it makes all that much difference except that everyone within any designated area cannot have their own time zone. That would cause massive confusion, missed appointments, etc. I think Arizona does not do DST, but, that is one place and has little impact on anything. Hawaii is a separate area all by itself and any of the water mass between one land mass and another is of no concern because no one lives there, except maybe Sponge Bob Square Pants and his pet snail Gary.

Personally, I'd like to see DST abolished completely and some other way be created to remember when to put new batteries in our smoke alarms. In this day of rapid transit it is just something else the we have to remember to do and then take half the time that it lasts to adjust our bodies to that difference in time. Or if everyone likes later daylight the just make DST the new standard time. Then, of course the whole world needs to change.
The whole thing about the Farmers needing the extra daylight hour is BS.
I spent my Summers on my Grandparents farm.
The first thing I learned was that Farmers keep the same time as their livestock.
Sunrise starts the day.
Sunset ends the day.
My Grandpa said the only reason they needed a clock was to make sure they weren't late for church on Sunday.
Also....
My Wife is Native American.
They have a saying about DST.
"Only the White Man can cut one end off a blanket, sew it on the other end, and believe he's made a longer blanket."

Goofyernmost

The whole thing about the Farmers needing the extra daylight hour is BS.
I spent my Summers on my Grandparents farm.
The first thing I learned was that Farmers keep the same time as their livestock.
Sunrise starts the day.
Sunset ends the day.
My Grandpa said the only reason they needed a clock was to make sure they weren't late for church on Sunday.
Also....
My Wife is Native American.
They have a saying about DST.
"Only the White Man can cut one end off a blanket, sew it on the other end, and believe he's made a longer blanket."
Love it! I agree about the farmers as well, so it was just a thing that made people think that the daylight hours were longer. Maybe in a way it is because a farmer has to go by sunrise and sunset. Urban folks have no reason to get up earlier so lets push the daylight to the other end of the day. Right now it is a little after 7am EST and it is dark out. I could be teeing off at my local course at 7am under Standard Time. It makes no sense at all to do this. Even with the way schools work now in urban areas the kid have to be up and out waiting for the bus in complete darkness.

Goofyernmost

Agree! I'm in the Pacific Northwest and seeing sunlight (actual sun) 3-4 months out of the year stinks!! I like daylight savings only because we get longer days to actually take advantage of what little sunlight we do get up here! I love having sunset close to 10pm in the summer and would love not having sunset at 4 in the winter. It's no wonder everyone is vitamin D deficient up here!!
The problem with that logic is that you gain no additional sunshine. You just put it between two different times. If the sunsets at 4 it will now set at 5, but, that just means that it will get light later in the morning when we are on the way to work. Same with sunset.... 9pm instead of 10pm. No matter what time you make it the length of the day goes with your location on the earth in relation to the sun. No difference in the amount of daylight is involved. You would still be vitamin D deficient.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Lol... I’m ok with early starts at school and work though. If I had a choice between 7am-4pm or 9am-6pm, I’d choose the former.
If everybody felt that way, rush hour would start at 7 and 4 instead of 8 and 5*.

* Central Cincinnati Time, which is appropriate to 'stamps' situation. Yes, I know about DC, LA, NY, Chicago, etc. Same principle, different hours apply in those cases.

21stamps

If everybody felt that way, rush hour would start at 7 and 4 instead of 8 and 5*.

* Central Cincinnati Time, which is appropriate to 'stamps' situation. Yes, I know about DC, LA, NY, Chicago, etc. Same principle, different hours apply in those cases.
Yes, and if everyone worked til 6pm, and started at 9, then traffic wouldn’t be bad at 8am and 5pm...but they don’t, which is why I think 8:30-9am starts for school do more harm to most children than good.
I drive south on 71 to work every morning..8am is a mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom