“Sunshine Protection Act” potential affect on operating hours, EMH, nighttime events, etc.

lazyboy97o

This seems like the backwards way of addressing the issue. Go to year-round Standard time, not a non-standard time. Issues like school start times are not commandments handed down by God, they can be adjusted and research keeps showing they probably should be adjusted.

21stamps

I wouldn’t want it in Florida. It will mess up early morning boating, diving, fishing, rollerblading,. etc etc etc. during the winter.

Here’s the best article I’ve seen against it -
;)

http://www.miami.com/funny-stories/...-round-this-is-going-to-be-a-hot-mess-184636/

“Florida is teetering on the brink. OK, to be fair, Florida is teetering on many brinks on any given day. But the latest concern is the looming possibility that our state will adopt Daylight Saving Time year round.

We don’t need more daylight after work

Stop acting like you do anything after work but eat a nutritionally imbalanced evening meal and watch Netflix. You’re not out kayaking or running or going to the beach. You don’t need more sunshine for sitting on your couch.

Rep. Heather Fitzenhagen suggested Floridians would revel in the ability to go out to dinner with a spouse under perpetual Daylight Saving Time, as if nobody can ingest food after the sun goes down. Are you kidding me? Miami thrives after dark. The only place you go when it’s still daylight is the early bird buffet.

21stamps

This seems like the backwards way of addressing the issue. Go to year-round Standard time, not a non-standard time. Issues like school start times are not commandments handed down by God, they can be adjusted and research keeps showing they probably should be adjusted.

The problem with late start recommendations is the parent’s schedule.. can’t adjust those. Could.. but won’t happen.

Goofyernmost

For years people thought, probably correctly that DST vs Standard time was basically established for farmers coupled with the arrive of sunset and/or sunset and how that affected their work hours (chores) and the milking cycles for dairy production. As far as growing time it is the same no matter what time you place on the beginning or the end. Daylight will have the same duration.

Then things like time zones existed again for a reasonable lining up with, again, sunrise and sunset, but, the reason that it is important to have standard areas was for the purpose of scheduling transportation after the railroad extended across the nation and arrival times and departure times would be consistant within the confines of the mapped out areas. Again based on sunrise and sunset.

Many people feel that using DST expands the amount of daylight. It does not, it just changes what hours that daylight exists in. All that said I don't think that it makes all that much difference except that everyone within any designated area cannot have their own time zone. That would cause massive confusion, missed appointments, etc. I think Arizona does not do DST, but, that is one place and has little impact on anything. Hawaii is a separate area all by itself and any of the water mass between one land mass and another is of no concern because no one lives there, except maybe Sponge Bob Square Pants and his pet snail Gary.

Personally, I'd like to see DST abolished completely and some other way be created to remember when to put new batteries in our smoke alarms. In this day of rapid transit it is just something else the we have to remember to do and then take half the time that it lasts to adjust our bodies to that difference in time. Or if everyone likes later daylight then just make DST the new standard time. Then, of course the whole world needs to change.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's absurd. DST needs to be repealed entirely -it has outlived any usefulness and contributes to all sorts of problems. To stay on DST in Florida? No thanks. Not a big fan of 8:00A.M. sunrise times.
Exactly. If I need light, I'll break out my super efficient LED lamp or flashlight and use that.

21stamps

Schedules can be changed. School start times are not universal.

No, school start times vary greatly.. which is why more parents have to pay extra for their kids to go to before school programs, and then the child has a longer school day, which wipes out any benefits from “studies”. 8am is a fairly average time for adults to start the work day.. 9am creates a strain. That’s where the studies fail.

OneofThree

Exactly. If I need light, I'll break out my super efficient LED lamp or flashlight and use that.

The silliest thing might be that during those DST months, I'm ( a native New Englander, born and raised in the snow, ice, and sleet) actually one of the very few people outside here in the late afternoon/early evening hours in sultry Florida.

NelleBelle

Most people in Seattle/Western Washington are absolutely outside in the late afternoon/evening hours kayaking, biking, hiking, etc because we are generally cooped up indoors for the majority of the year due to our constant drizzle/downpour and extremely early sunset during the fall/winter. The benefits of having mountains with hiking/mt. biking < 30 minutes from downtown (ok, minus traffic) is what makes living here so fantastic (at least during the late spring/summer)!

This is the only reason it should be passed. Anyone who thinks early sunsets are a good thing are out of their damn mind.

Except parents of kids who need to get up at 6 to be on the bus. If the sun sets at 8:30, those kids do NOT want to be in bed at 9, or even earlier, and it's a medically proven fact kids need more than 8 hours of sleep a night! I want DST gone forever.

jbguitar62

I imagine Gov. Scott's office is getting inundated with phone calls from irate parents demanding he veto the bill. No parent wants their child standing at the bus stop in the dark or the sun setting at 8:30 pm. DST needs to be repealed, period. As the Earth moves around the Sun in its annual orbit, the period of sunlight gets longer during the warmer months. DST wasn't one of Ben Franklin's better ideas.

We're not an agrarian society any more. Sadly, one can count on the Florida Legislature ignoring real needs in the State and passing nonsense legislation like this.
Most accounts are that Franklin was writing satire and it ended up being adopted over the years. The myth that it was for farmers was always that a myth. Cows and chickens don't care what time it is.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The problem with late start recommendations is the parent’s schedule.. can’t adjust those. Could.. but won’t happen.
Maybe in addition to the “living wage” movement we could start a “manageable work day” movement so we could further make our lives convenient.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Original Poster
Except parents of kids who need to get up at 6 to be on the bus. If the sun sets at 8:30, those kids do NOT want to be in bed at 9, or even earlier, and it's a medically proven fact kids need more than 8 hours of sleep a night! I want DST gone forever.
I don't give two ducks about what is best for the poor children. You people need to realize that the world DOES NOT revolve around the needs of kids. I'm sick of my life having to suffer because your little angels need a full nights rest.

One of the bills’ sponsors got the idea after hearing his barber talk about the negative impact of the time change on his children’s sleep.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article196453714.html

21stamps

Maybe in addition to the “living wage” movement we could start a “manageable work day” movement so we could further make our lives convenient.

Lol... I’m ok with early starts at school and work though. If I had a choice between 7am-4pm or 9am-6pm, I’d choose the former.

The people who campaign for “early start” at schools aren’t really thinking things thru.
Sports, homework, dinner time, family time.. that gets cut short if they’re in school an hour to an hour & a half later.
Those people can attend late start schools, do what’s best for you.. but don’t force it on all of us.

OneofThree

I don't give two ducks about what is best for the poor children. You people need to realize that the world DOES NOT revolve around the needs of kids. I'm sick of my life having to suffer because your little angels need a full nights rest.

Yee-har.
1521041751395.png

Last edited:

spock8113

I don't know, DST is like the September to June school schedule, it's for times past based on farming schedules and the like.
No opinion either way but it does make programming timers too complicated!
It's also confusing when driving over the Hoover Dam-Nevada , Yes: Arizona, no.

lazyboy97o

Lol... I’m ok with early starts at school and work though. If I had a choice between 7am-4pm or 9am-6pm, I’d choose the former.

The people who campaign for “early start” at schools aren’t really thinking things thru.
Sports, homework, dinner time, family time.. that gets cut short if they’re in school an hour to an hour & a half later.
Those people can attend late start schools, do what’s best for you.. but don’t force it on all of us.
The school day could be made shorter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom