“From Couch To 5K!” Running Newbie needs help!

star77kc1

Original Poster
Happy New Years everyone!!! I am not now, nor have I ever been a RUNNER...unless I’m being chased by something lol. However, 2018 is the year for me to become a healthier version of myself. I want to lose about 50 lbs, and prepare myself to run in the 5K next January 2019. Any tips on ANYTHING having to do with my first RunDisney experience? What are some of your training suggestions? Gear suggestions, etc???

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@star77kc1 - Congratulations on taking the decision to become healthier. I started running a couple of years ago using at first a couch to 5K app and then found the running subforrum here where I got lots of great advice. First thing you need to do is go to a specialized running store and get your gait analyzed so that you know you are running in the right shoes. This should help prevent some types of injuries.

As for gear, most important (for me at least) in addition to my shoes are socks and running bras. While it is great to solicit advice, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others (for example, some people swear by Feetures socks but my pair always give me blisters). This will most likely require trying things out until you find out what works for you,

If you are someone who needs additional motivation, try to find yourself a running group or running partner adapted to your level. Sometimes knowing someone or a group is going to be running at the same time helps you to get out the door even when you don't want to.

The people on this subforum are really incredibly helpful so if you have questions, just ask!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Happy New Years everyone!!! I am not now, nor have I ever been a RUNNER...unless I’m being chased by something lol. However, 2018 is the year for me to become a healthier version of myself. I want to lose about 50 lbs, and prepare myself to run in the 5K next January 2019. Any tips on ANYTHING having to do with my first RunDisney experience? What are some of your training suggestions? Gear suggestions, etc???

1. You've got a year, so don't sweat it.
2. There are several good Couch to 5k training programs.
3. Download one of the fitness apps. MyFitnessPal has a corresponding app called MapMyRun. You should be able to export data from MapMyRun into MyFitnessPal to track all your stats.
4. Shoes . I would strongly recommend visiting your local running store - not talking about the big box sports stores like D.i.c.k's or Academy Sports. I mean a store operated by runners. Why? Because you need to be properly fitted for running shoes. Length and width. Are you neutral or do you pronate - roll to the inside or outside edge of your foot when running. Most stores will video you running so this can be determined. Why is this important? For purchasing a running shoe to compensate for runners who pronate...to avoid fatigue and injury.
5. Clothing. Wear what's comfortable and appropriate for your climate. And plan for chafing - inner thighs, underarms. I wear longer running shorts - 7" to 8" innerseams to prevent chafing. Also get some good blister proof socks. Cotton ones aren't what you want - you want moisture wicking ones. That running store can recommend different brands.
6. Check to see if you can join a group of runners. Our local running store has a group - mainly beginners - that runs together once a week. Important for support and encouragement. Plus, you'll get real time advice from experienced runners about posture, gait, stride, etc.
7. Create a playlist with songs that have different tempos and that can inspire and energize you. Great when you've got to do that early AM run...and your bed is soooo comfy.
8. Speaking of comfy.... Make sure if you run outdoors, you prepare for the outside temperature. 90 degrees and high humidity means running indoors on the treadmill. Slow your pace when it's hot. Dress in layers when it's cold.
9. Fuel properly before and after a run. Both for energy and recovery.

For other good advice, check out Jeff Galloway's training programs on the rD site. He doesn't provide a training schedule for races under a 10k, but he does talk about general stuff applicable to any distance.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to ask for advice. And we'll want a pic of that 5k medal.

And the 5k in January probably won't be your last rD race. First, yes, but not your last...

LAKid53

Premium Member
@star77kc1 - Congratulations on taking the decision to become healthier. I started running a couple of years ago using at first a couch to 5K app and then found the running subforrum here where I got lots of great advice. First thing you need to do is go to a specialized running store and get your gait analyzed so that you know you are running in the right shoes. This should help prevent some types of injuries.

As for gear, most important (for me at least) in addition to my shoes are socks and running bras. While it is great to solicit advice, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others (for example, some people swear by Feetures socks but my pair always give me blisters). This will most likely require trying things out until you find out what works for you,

If you are someone who needs additional motivation, try to find yourself a running group or running partner adapted to your level. Sometimes knowing someone or a group is going to be running at the same time helps you to get out the door even when you don't want to.

The people on this subforum are really incredibly helpful so if you have questions, just ask!

All very good advice, ma'am. Ready for this weekend? I think @surfsupdon isn't going to like the cold.....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Also note that each rD race at WDW has its own thread in the running forum. Start watching those threads. You'll pick up great tips about the particular race...and running in general.

star77kc1

Original Poster

Thank you so much!! I do have a nice pair of Brooks, but they are a killer for my feet. I will definitely take your suggestion and go get analyzed for a better fit. I’ll definitely have to go research sock options as well, and good call about the sports bra! Lol

star77kc1

Original Poster
Also note that each rD race at WDW has its own thread in the running forum. Start watching those threads. You'll pick up great tips about the particular race...and running in general.
Oh awesome. That will be very helpful. Thank you!!!

RunningKoen

@star77kc1 - This will most likely require trying things out until you find out what works for you,

Keep this in mind as a general advise.

Before spending tons of running gear, shoes, etc, find out of running is your thing at all. Several people I know tried to run, but the sport just have no appeal to them at all. They cannot push themselves to keep running regularly.
If you're goal is to lose weight, there are several sort of sports that will do. Finding the one that motivates you the most, will work the best (cause you'll able to keep doing it).
It's the same with my gym. Whenever I work out, I always spot some people who do not like it al all (Most often women, to be honest, around 30-50 year). Their body languauge so strongly shows they have no desire at all to work out, but 'they force themselves to lose weight'. They often put the weight to low, just to get to the 10 reps they're supposed to do easy. They work out indeed. It is the most effective and fun way to get fit? I'd doubt that.

As both @LAKid53 and @Swissmiss said, shoes are very important. However, you won't get injured after running a mile in the wrong shoes. Overtraining is a bigger risk than gear in the beginning.

Get your feet measured (neutral & pronation is a big thing) but get shoes that might be used for other sports aswell, or gym. Don't get yourself the newest and most improved nike or asics shoes. Same for clothes; go for the ones that feel natural and can handle sweat and movement.

I started with easy, cheap and general gear. I only started upgrading them after I found out I really liked running, and wanted to improve either my time or distance.

And that's my last tip: keep track of your trainings. Seeing even the slightest improvement (being a bit faster, less walking, more running without stops, even more miles made in total) will be a big thing that motivates you.

18156073_1727234130676126_3425871909234991396_o.png

Texas84

Repeating some things, but:
- Go to your local running store and get fitted. There might still be some trial and error finding a good shoe for you.
- Read up on Jeff Galloway's walk/run. I personally don't like what I've heard about couch to 5K because some have told me they make you run 3 miles straight or worse. If you're a beginner, walk/run.
- Running may not get you that 50 pounds. I've been there. I had to change up my diet. I used online Weight Watchers and counted points.
- If you're dieting and following your training plan reward yourself once a week with something off your diet.
- I'm a big Hal Higdon fan. His plans got me through a few Dopeys.
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/Novice-Training-for-your-first-5K
- When you do your first 5K at Disney, slow down and have fun! It will go by very fast.

JillC LI

Congratulations on your goal and welcome! A year is a very long time - you may find that you love it and want to run the 10K or even the Half by then! There are a lot of great starter programs out there, both online and in books. I used the Shelley Glover 10 week plan when I started running as a 27 year old who could barely run 1 block. Ten years later I decided to complete a marathon. And 12 years after that I'm still running and loving it. I can honestly say that going from 0 to 3 miles is just as hard as going from 3 to 26.2 miles. Getting started as a runner is simple but requires dedication. It really will get easier if you keep your pace slow and your distance reasonable. I recommend you get a good pair of supportive shoes, some simple wicking clothes good for your climate, and some Body Glide to prevent chafing - I swear by it to this day. As for the runDisney races, well those are the reward for all your hard work! I hope you grow to love it as much as I and many of my friends on this board do.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We were at the world last weekend for the Marathon and I've never run anything but a 5k.

I'll admit that I was "silently judging" everyone I saw walking around with medals last weekend - If some of these people can do it - heck I can do it! This has inspired me to (hopefully) sign up for the Wine/Dine half as well as the Princess Half in 2019. You can do it!!

LAKid53

Premium Member
We were at the world last weekend for the Marathon and I've never run anything but a 5k.

I'll admit that I was "silently judging" everyone I saw walking around with medals last weekend - If some of these people can do it - heck I can do it! This has inspired me to (hopefully) sign up for the Wine/Dine half as well as the Princess Half in 2019. You can do it!!

Nothing like s little medal envy for motivation. And yes you can.

star77kc1

Original Poster
@star77kc1 It's been a while, please let us know how you are doing so far!
Thank you so much for all your advice, and to everyone else on this thread that has given some of their wisdom! I bought myself a good pair of Asics Running Shoes, and just started my training last week. It’s tough. I’m not going to lie lol. I started out seeing how fast I could even walk a mile, as I know you have to keep above that 16 minute mile. I walked it at 16 minutes exactly. The next time, I ran/walk/ran as best I could. I shaved 2 minutes off my walking time, which put me at about a 14 minute mile. I have a LONG way to go, but I am determined to try my absolute best. I am now looking towards doing the 10K at the Wine and Dine. I would love to be able to do the Half Marathon, but I’ll have to see how I’m doing before it’s sign up time!

RunningKoen

I have a LONG way to go, but I am determined to try my absolute best.

So good to hear! I already know you'll succeed and one day we'll do the same half and cheer on that :). Please keep us updated (@What did you do) and keep tracking your progess! In a month, that 14 min/mile pace seems like it was ages ago.

star77kc1

Original Poster
Any advice on how to carry my phone during the 10K? I’ve seen those fuel belts, but I feel I’ll look a bit silly wearing one for only a 10K. What’s worked for all of you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom