“From Couch To 5K!” Running Newbie needs help!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Any advice on how to carry my phone during the 10K? I’ve seen those fuel belts, but I feel I’ll look a bit silly wearing one for only a 10K. What’s worked for all of you?

I wear a Flip belt. Plus my running shorts have pockets in the legs that hold my phone. Or you could use an arm band. Last resort is your sports bar

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Unless it is cold (in which case I wear a jacket that has pockets), I run in Sparkleskirts. My phone fits in either of the shorts pockets safely (no sliding about) and there is also a zippered pocket for holding my keys.

star77kc1

Original Poster
Unless it is cold (in which case I wear a jacket that has pockets), I run in Sparkleskirts. My phone fits in either of the shorts pockets safely (no sliding about) and there is also a zippered pocket for holding my keys.
I haven’t heard of these Sparkleskirts! Thanks so much for the recommendation. I’ll definitely check them out!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Any advice on how to carry my phone during the 10K? I’ve seen those fuel belts, but I feel I’ll look a bit silly wearing one for only a 10K. What’s worked for all of you?

I'm interested to see what people use as well. I've been debating on getting one of those flip-belt things. I don't want to run with much more than that and I don't like arm bands for my phone.

RunningKoen

I'm interested to see what people use as well. I've been debating on getting one of those flip-belt things. I don't want to run with much more than that and I don't like arm bands for my phone.

Using a belt aswell; carrying phone and key at my lower back. It has a rather good spot there, where I wont get into my movement. Or a running short with pockets, to avoid using a belt.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I wear their Sparkle shorts - they have the same large pocket in the waist band and the leg pocket. I don't want the short & skirt combo, too much to deal with, ya know.

LAKid53

Premium Member

The new Flip belt has a zippered pocket for extra security, in addition to the other three. I wear mine high on my waist, so I don't have to worry about it when I stop for a bathroom break. It's not going to go anywhere. And I really don't notice it. It is made from a neoprene type material, absorbs sweat and is machine washable. Flip belt also makes hydration bottles that fit their belt. I freeze water in a larger one, put it in the pocket on my back, nice for runs in warm weather.

However, I just bought a Camelbak hydration vest on Amazon that has several pockets on the front for your phone, id, small water bottle, keys, gels, etc. Much better than the old vests that had just a little pocket under the bladder that was barely big enough for your keys.

Texas84

You shouldn't feel silly. I've run some local 10Ks that only have one water stop. So if it's a new race for me I'll use a belt just in case.

I use an arm band by Fitletic for my phone. Only for training though. Don't carry for a real race.

dreamfinder

That will be totally your preference. I've hand carried my phone for a marathon, and I've used hydration belts. Some people swear by a belt, others swear by an armband. Some hate all of the above. Don't feel silly wearing something for a shorter race. It's always good advice to train how you will race. So if you train drinking water, or just Lemon Lime Ice Gatorade (is that even a real flavor?) or take a certain type of gel, you will want to do the same thing for the race. Some of us have iron constitutions and can drink anything, refuel with anything, etc, but other people will get totally thrown off by using something new. So using a belt at a shorter race to a) have your phone/keys/id/cash with you b) to have your appropriate hydration/refuel with you is not at all unheard of.

I've personally used FuelBelt and AmphiPod and currently favor AmphiPod's ability to completely customize the belt for each run. But using a belt does take some getting used to and for some people simply causes too much chafing/irritation on the hips. There are lots of options available now, I'd check out what your local running store had to offer.

JillC LI

Thank you so much for all your advice, and to everyone else on this thread that has given some of their wisdom! I bought myself a good pair of Asics Running Shoes, and just started my training last week. It’s tough. I’m not going to lie lol. I started out seeing how fast I could even walk a mile, as I know you have to keep above that 16 minute mile. I walked it at 16 minutes exactly. The next time, I ran/walk/ran as best I could. I shaved 2 minutes off my walking time, which put me at about a 14 minute mile. I have a LONG way to go, but I am determined to try my absolute best. I am now looking towards doing the 10K at the Wine and Dine. I would love to be able to do the Half Marathon, but I’ll have to see how I’m doing before it’s sign up time!
Try not to focus on speed in the early stages. It's irrelevant. Endurance is more important. Faster pacing will come with practice.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Try not to focus on speed in the early stages. It's irrelevant. Endurance is more important. Faster pacing will come with practice.

Very true. Doesn't do any good if you can run a 10m/m but your legs give out at mile 10 and you can't even crawl to the finish line.

Another good way to build endurance? Squats. And planks. Build those quads and that core. Btw, I hate planks.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom