“A Hive of Miserable Bas***ds:” Potential DLR Marvel Meet-Up

mickEblu

Would you be more interested in meeting up for lunch first? Maybe to break the ice?

I’ve met up with several people from here and I’m still friends with all of them. It’s fun to see how they are in person vs online.

Awww thanks for the offer but I’m going to jump in head first. Lol. I hardly get out (without the family) as is. I just wrote that post because I was wondering if other people felt the same way and I wanted to feel less weird about it. The funny part is that it’s not the meeting “strangers” part for an entire day at Disneyland that weirds me out. It’s more so having family and friends know I did that and maybe a little husbands/ fathers guilt thrown in there too. I know, it’s strange.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Awww thanks for the offer but I’m going to jump in head first. Lol. I hardly get out (without the family) as is. I just wrote that post because I was wondering if other people felt the same way and I wanted to feel less weird about it. The funny part is that it’s not the meeting “strangers” part for an entire day at Disneyland that weirds me out. It’s more so having family and friends know I did that and maybe a little husbands/ fathers guilt thrown in there too. I know, it’s strange.

Have the talk with them prior to so they’ll be prepared. Lol.

truecoat

Would you be more interested in meeting up for lunch first? Maybe to break the ice?

I’ve met up with several people from here and I’m still friends with all of them. It’s fun to see how they are in person vs online.

Yes, somewhere that serves spaghetti.

No Name

I just wrote that post because I was wondering if other people felt the same way and I wanted to feel less weird about it.

Back in high school, I went to Six Flags with some friends, and one of them was like “hey, I wonder why it’s called Six Flags??” I very briefly explained why, and she gave an unenthused “oh” and looked at me like I had two heads. Obviously she didn’t expect an answer, but it felt like she also didn’t want an answer. As if the question was better left a mystery.

I didn’t care much, and we’re still great friends, but perhaps very small experiences like these have subconsciously affected me, because I don’t really let most people know how interested I am in theme parks. My family, friends, etc. know I enjoy theme parks more than your average Joe, but they don’t know that I’m involved in discussion with people online to an extent that I’d ever consider meeting up with them in person. And I would feel odd explaining that.

So yeah, I’m not helping at all, but just saying that I do feel a similar way (and of course probably won’t be coming because of distance anyway). But I do think the trip itself would/will be very positive experience, and that’s worth overcoming the awkwardness in explaining it to the folks back home.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Back in high school, I went to Six Flags with some friends, and one of them was like “hey, I wonder why it’s called Six Flags??” I very briefly explained why, and she gave an unenthused “oh” and looked at me like I had two heads. Obviously she didn’t expect an answer, but it felt like she also didn’t want an answer. As if the question was better left a mystery.

I didn’t care much, and we’re still great friends, but perhaps very small experiences like these have subconsciously affected me, because I don’t really let most people know how interested I am in theme parks. My family, friends, etc. know I enjoy theme parks more than your average Joe, but they don’t know that I’m involved in discussion with people online to an extent that I’d ever consider meeting up with them in person. And I would feel odd explaining that.

So yeah, I’m not helping at all, but just saying that I do feel a similar way (and of course probably won’t be coming because of distance anyway). But I do think the trip itself would/will be very positive experience, and that’s worth overcoming the awkwardness in explaining it to the folks back home.

Definitely see where you re coming from. My family and friends know that I’m a Disneyland nut. Most of them even know that I spend a lot of time on these forums. Leaving the wife and kids to do the meet up would be kind of weird to explain though. I do agree it would be a positive experience and most likely worth it. It would probably be less awkward to explain if I brought my family But then again I feel that would throw off the dynamic of the group and make it less fun in a way.

Nirya

I get where you’re coming from, especially if you haven’t done something like this prior. Having done it a few times for other things (mostly gaming-related) what you learn is that once you get past the initial awkwardness, you realize that most people are the same online as they are in person, so you get pretty comfortable relatively quickly.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I honestly don't have a strong urge to visit the parks under the conditions that will be set. With that being said, depending on when Marvel opens (we don't have a target date yet, right?), I'd be down to go later this year, if it even opens this year. I'd be up for it maybe starting very late summer and after that time. We don't even have to go this year, but of course I'll wait for other folks' opinions.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Okaaaaayyyyyy, Hive!!! Avengers Campus is officially open and it’s already a bit (or very) disappointing, as expected lol. The shawarma was gone in like an hour, Spidey Midway Mania reservations booked in a millisecond, and the standby line to even enter is like a 48-hour wait. Not to mention other things, but I don’t need to mention them.

We’ve spent the past few days sh*t talking AC, despite having yet to see it (some of us), but it will be more exciting to sh*t talk in person. Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.🙂 I’m thinking the end of the year or maybe even early 2022. Still down for t-shirts, too.

Thoughts?

CaptinEO

Okaaaaayyyyyy, Hive!!! Avengers Campus is officially open and it’s already a bit (or very) disappointing, as expected lol. The shawarma was gone in like an hour, Spidey Midway Mania reservations booked in a millisecond, and the standby line to even enter is like a 48-hour wait. Not to mention other things, but I don’t need to mention them.

We’ve spent the past few days sh*t talking AC, despite having yet to see it (some of us), but it will be more exciting to sh*t talk in person. Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.🙂 I’m thinking the end of the year or maybe even early 2022. Still down for t-shirts, too.

Thoughts?
I think once the crazyness dies down and we can get in without phone lottery we should go. We should totally meet up though as a group and smack talk it.

How'd Disney manage to make a land worse than the crappy Bugs Land!

If I paid 150 bucks for a ticket and cant even see the new "Web Slingerz" or try an "Impossibly Overpriced Chicken Sandwhich" I'd certainly be quite the miserable .

I love that this thread is still alive.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think once the crazyness dies down and we can get in without phone lottery we should go. We should totally meet up though as a group and smack talk it.

How'd Disney manage to make a land worse than the crappy Bugs Land!

If I paid 150 bucks for a ticket and cant even see the new "Web Slingerz" or try an "Impossibly Overpriced Chicken Sandwhich" I'd certainly be quite the miserable *******.

I love that this thread is still alive.
Disney makes some of us miserable. I should really speak for myself here, but I don’t like being unhappy with their recent choices. However, they leave me no choice. It’s Disney’s fault.

For example, that $100 PYM sandwich is a joke, unless it’s bought for children, maybe. If my group is going to spend $100 together on a meal, we’re going to Roscoe’s down the street. This along with Web Slingers(z), aka Spidey Midway Mania, ride reservations, long wait times, no new E ticket, Party City/Halloweentown costumes, and we of course will never forgive Mission Breakout (at least I won’t)… Avengers Campus is begging for a proper, in-person roast. I’m looking forward to doing that with some other miserable folks here.

DavidDL

... and we of course will never forgive Mission Breakout (at least I won’t)…

I too shall never forget. -and never forgive.

Same goes for "it's tough to be a bug!". Losing that one has already stung for a while but replacing it with what's there now feels like it's just gonna be salt in the wound, if I ever even get the chance to ride it.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Honestly we should do a GoFundMe and see if we can people to buy us the $100 PYM sandwich, just to put a picture of us and it on this website.
This is actually a good idea and I just might set one up sometime this year.
I too shall never forget. -and never forgive.

Same goes for "it's tough to be a bug!". Losing that one has already stung for a while but replacing it with what's there now feels like it's just gonna be salt in the wound, if I ever even get the chance to ride it.
Honestly, I’m pressed about all of a bug’s land being gone. I’m in the minority, but I really enjoyed it and it was one of my favorite areas of the park.

Practical Pig

Honestly we should do a GoFundMe and see if we can people to buy us the $100 PYM sandwich, just to put a picture of us and it on this website.

This is actually a good idea and I just might set one up sometime this year.

Heck, think bigger. See if you can crowd-fund a WEB Power Band and a Spiderbot for the whole hive as well. As the saying goes, a picture's worth a thousand bucks! :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom