Trip Report ‘Tis The Season For More Disney! *COMPLETED*

Fa la la la la
la la la LA

But let’s be honest.
Which season isn’t the season for more Disney?
In 2017 I have been fortunate to experience winter, spring and summer in the world.
And now the holidays!
Since December is such a festive time of year at the parks, I think two trips are in order....don’t you?

Trip #1
Cast:
Tuvalu and Em
When: December 1-4, 2017
Where: Port Orleans Riverside
Why: A Jingle BAM Birthday 2.0

A4132369-7260-4635-89F6-C4FB66018B71.jpeg

Join us as we attend our first MVMCP, wander around World Showcase like a couple of newbies, meet a forum friend and intentionally watch LOTS of fireworks....did we get to Illuminations this year?

You’ll have to wait and see.

Songbird76

Thursday, con’t

Eagle-eyed @blgauger wins points towards an Island Sunset (yeah I know you drink Pina Colavas 😉) since she guessed correctly where Woody and I were headed upon leaving WL.

View attachment 260046

We really didn’t have to fake “being cold” as it was chilly.
View attachment 260048
Olaf always makes me smile!

I mentioned we ordered our lunch while on DME. As soon as we reached the door of the restaurant I tapped “I’m here” and we went inside to the mobile order pick up spot. Skipping the long lines is the best part of this new feature! We had our food tray in less than five minutes. Then we went to find a table.

@Figaro Family, look where we sat!
View attachment 260050

For anyone unclear as to where we ate lunch, it was Pinocchio’s Village Haus.

Woody had a flatbread and I had a chicken parm sandwich.
View attachment 260047
(Needed you with me @TrolleyFollower91 as I could only finish half of it!)

One table over was a family of four ~ mom, dad and two elementary school kids. We watched mom pull out six gallon-size Ziplock bags full of food. It was enough to feed a small army. Then a package of at least 50 napkins, followed by a small cooler of juice boxes. Now this is not a rant about taking up a table with food from home, cause dad then arrived with 2 cheese flatbreads and breadsticks. We were just stunned by the quantity of food, and how much effort it must have taken to prepare that Ziplock feast ~ only to purchase additional food.

By the time the family began eating Woody and I had to skedaddle for our first FP. I have no idea how much food was consumed or what it was like to re-package all the leftovers.

It just seemed like a lot of work for a quick lunch on vacation.
I'm guilty of doing this, because my DS will not eat ANYTHING, it seems. We try...we order him a pizza and he doesn't like it, or we order him chicken nuggets and they aren't the texture he's used to... (Sensory issues due to the Autism) and we inevitably end up breaking out the stuff we brought that we know he'll at least eat. It's not ideal, but we keep hoping that introducing him to new foods will eventually take hold and we'll have one more dish in our arsenal for future experiences. It IS a lot of work, and it's very frustrating and I feel like a failure EVERY. TIME! And yet, we keep doing it. Not just at Disney....EVERYWHERE. We go somewhere for the day, I'm packing a backpack full of snacks.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
At last Woody and I made it to our final FP.

848ABA55-9B26-48BD-A9E6-AB3792D68676.jpeg

The only thing that would have made this last-car ride better is if it had been dark!

I received our room text so we decided to hop on the MPB to get to Main Street.
DB6AA2B9-B00C-43CB-ACD6-8F042FE2A440.jpeg

6C4C1651-EA86-45B8-A66C-B02B95D5055F.jpeg

As we walked down the ramp I could hear the Dapper Dans performing and said to Woody, “Let’s go watch!”

The Dans are such a talented bunch and I really enjoy their “twist” on holiday tunes.
A9F9DFE5-459B-4B41-9404-B42EB3B54F25.jpeg

(@amjt660 I think the third guy from the left could be Costanza, don’t you?)

When the show was over we popped into the Emporium to look for a Christmas sweatshirt for my mom.
Actual conversation ~
Me: “Do you have any gift suggestions for yourself this year?”
Mom: “Well you’re going back to Disney and I could use a new Mickey Christmas sweatshirt.”
(This information would have been much more useful before Em and I attended MVMCP where there were several party-exclusive sweatshirts to choose from. 🙄)

There was exactly one Christmas sweatshirt in the store....size small. My mother does not like form-fitting clothing and would need a medium. I opened the Shop Parks app which revealed a medium at one of the monorail resorts. Woody suggested we go there next to get the task out of the way.

As we turned to leave, a display of bright, glittery objects caught my eye.
OMG.
There they were.
The highly-sought-after, impossible-to-find, always “sold out”........
ROSE GOLD MINNIE EARS!

“Over here!” I motioned to Woody, as I had inadvertently left him alone, in my haste to see the ears. “You need to take a picture of me wearing these!”
“Why?”
I proceeded to explain how rare the Rose Gold ears are, everyone wants them, no one has them, blah blah blah.
“Um, okay” he said skeptically.

TA-DA!!
FF0D5CB2-F2FB-434A-86FF-34A9D1CD6ACC.jpeg

Did you buy them, Tuvalu?
Nope.

But I have two perfectly good reasons. First (and foremost) my family says I cannot pull off a hat of any kind ~ this includes ball caps and Mouse ears. It makes them laugh. I do not like to be laughed at.

Secondly, I do not get the obsession of rose gold anything. As a color I find it resembles beige more than “rose” or “gold.” It looks dull. Sedated. As if a child had mixed several colors together while fingerpainting and mom, wanting to praise the work (while thinking “Ewww”), declares: “What a beautiful color! Let’s call it rose gold!”

I realize I have just alienated all you Rose Gold fans....but hear me out. If you like it, TERRIFIC. I’m happy you found something that makes YOU happy! Different preferences make the world go ‘round. And obviously I am in the minority, as you will find out later.

I carefully took off the ears and placed them back on the display (where I am sure they did not remain for long!)

(Side note ~ I saw a group of friends wearing them with shirts that said:
It’s the Most Wonderful Time
To Wear Ears

How very clever!)

Since Woody took a picture of me I decided to return the favor.
BA4EABD5-2194-4548-8DAC-CFC285958DA5.jpeg

He knows how to pull off a ball cap! (But it would have been hilarious to see him in Mouse ears!)

Before we exited the park I remembered another picture I needed taken.
EE44217B-88F1-47AE-8FFF-5B68CD5349FE.jpeg

The countdown!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We jumped on the monorail in search of the Christmas sweatshirt. The app showed it was available at BVG (aka Bay View Gifts) in the Contemporary. I was very hopeful, as BVG has come through for me in the past for hard-to-find items.

There wasn’t a Christmas sweatshirt in sight. 😕 And none in stock. You lied to me, Shop Parks app!

Since we were in the vicinity, I showed Woody the gingerbread display of the castle, Cinderella and Prince Charming. Someone commented that the display looks liked cardboard cutouts and I have to agree.
6A707EE6-85C2-478F-A673-D8606DB35D99.jpeg

We decided to take the boat from Contemporary to WL. But first a pic with Mickey!
8575776A-F68E-4C87-868D-5BAA0DDFBED0.jpeg

The overcast skies meant it never warmed up today.
4DA5BB4E-5EDE-4CF3-B6A7-0A0CB92B069D.jpeg

We’re coming home, WL!
D16930A9-4BCF-4A0E-B077-5F997235CF69.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We picked up our carry-ons from Bell Services before riding the elevator to the 7th floor. The rooms on this floor have a partial vaulted ceiling which adds character.

D8C772BF-D0E1-4A2F-80B8-C7AF19EA8C99.jpeg

Our welcome packet was waiting for us on a bed along with a special treat.
9C825900-19CE-4E74-A47E-0DE401387C5C.jpeg

Chocolate from the Ganachery in Disney Springs.
03BF068D-269B-4ADE-885F-DFF84BF78C0C.jpeg

Inside the package were 4 chocolate bars sporting Mickey and friends as a totem pole. (Forgot to take a pic!)
I did not open the box until we got home. I was saving it because it had to be good chocolate, since it came from the pricey Ganachery.

It was not good chocolate. In fact, it tasted almost stale. After two bites I was done. Woody and Em also tried some and were not overly impressed. I threw the rest in the trash.

Club guests receive a plethora of toiletries.
396EAEC1-E88E-4016-BFC3-8B1EAD1CD625.jpeg

My favorite is the foot cream! So soothing after a long day at the parks. I have also taken a liking to the Oasis Hydrating Cream, pictured above.
05630748-0BE0-49CF-B252-E22CB8935E78.jpeg

But enough about the in-room amenities. Let’s talk VIEW, baby!

Watching the monorail go through the Contemporary is fun!
CE453160-118A-416D-8C6F-2305C91E8AB2.jpeg

Nice to see the completed cabins. Woody noticed that each one is painted differently, giving them personality (unlike the awful Poly bungalows.)
2B085F82-9B62-4529-8490-2822EBA3BBE9.jpeg

Oh, what could this be?
21F6F0FB-8FD5-47D2-A9A0-59297C9D7A73.jpeg

Yeah, no need to go to the lounge observation deck to watch the fireworks. Our balcony will do quite nicely, thank you.

LeighM

I love the rose gold ears but I just see pink. I don't get the gold portion. It's just a shiny pink to me :) My husband had to have the rose gold iPhone when they came out. I still tease him about his pink phone. But in his defense I think he thought it would be more gold and less pink. But how I love asking him if I can use his pink phone :happy:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Since we were in the vicinity, I showed Woody the gingerbread display of the castle, Cinderella and Prince Charming. Someone commented that the display looks liked cardboard cutouts and I have to agree.
We stood in AWE at the Cardboard Cutout of the Castle. We were beyond astonished. We debated if we had ever seen Disney create any seasonal decoration, worse a prime focus decoration as UGLY and tacky as the one in the Contemporary. We resort hopped around the Deluxe Resorts and admired...at the Contemporary we stopped dead in our tracks horrified and didn't dare more closer. Did someone forget to design one for the Contemporary and Wing something in 12 hours or what? I've seen Primary School stage sets built better than that for the holidays. What the heck? Overall we deemed the Contemporary to be awarded the Bah Humbug Award for the sparest holiday decoration, something went very very wrong for Christmas 2017 there. Miss the days of glory.
cdcff15efa793e80edb8b78962915085.jpg

photo credit above

ROSE GOLD MINNIE EARS!

“Over here!” I motioned to Woody, as I had inadvertently left him alone, in my haste to see the ears. “You need to take a picture of me wearing these!”
“Why?”
I proceeded to explain how rare the Rose Gold ears are, everyone wants them, no one has them, blah blah blah.

TA-DA!!
View attachment 260191The countdown!

Since you were coming one way on the Magical and we had just left on the Tragical we had found the Rose Ears too. About halfway through our trip it seemed like a dozen Sea Boxes worth of Rose Ears landed in EVERY SINGLE SHOP in MASSES. And it seemed EVERY female guest bought and wore them. (not us either) The only time I've seen piles of merchandise like this was for the
1st ever LEAP YEAR 24 Hour Event at WDW, where by the way I wanted a Zip Hoodie for that 24 Hour event only to learn they only made those for Disneyland. I bought the Zip Hoodie never noting it said Disneyland not WDW!!!! :facepalm: Think I love my blooper zip hoodie more 'cause it has a weird history to it. Like Magic Bands being sold at Disneyland history.

Songbird76

View attachment 260185
The only thing that would have made this last-car ride better is if it had been dark!

I received our room text so we decided to hop on the MPB to get to Main Street.
View attachment 260187

View attachment 260186

As we walked down the ramp I could hear the Dapper Dans performing and said to Woody, “Let’s go watch!”

The Dans are such a talented bunch and I really enjoy their “twist” on holiday tunes.
View attachment 260188
(@amjt660 I think the third guy from the left could be Costanza, don’t you?)

When the show was over we popped into the Emporium to look for a Christmas sweatshirt for my mom.
Actual conversation ~
Me: “Do you have any gift suggestions for yourself this year?”
Mom: “Well you’re going back to Disney and I could use a new Mickey Christmas sweatshirt.”
(This information would have been much more useful before Em and I attended MVMCP where there were several party-exclusive sweatshirts to choose from. 🙄)

There was exactly one Christmas sweatshirt in the store....size small. My mother does not like form-fitting clothing and would need a medium. I opened the Shop Parks app which revealed a medium at one of the monorail resorts. Woody suggested we go there next to get the task out of the way.

As we turned to leave, a display of bright, glittery objects caught my eye.
OMG.
There they were.
ROSE GOLD MINNIE EARS!

“Why?”

TA-DA!!
View attachment 260191

Did you buy them, Tuvalu?
Nope.

But I have two perfectly good reasons. First (and foremost) my family says I cannot pull off a hat of any kind ~ this includes ball caps and Mouse ears. It makes them laugh. I do not like to be laughed at.

Secondly, I do not get the obsession of rose gold anything. As a color I find it resembles beige more than “rose” or “gold.” It looks dull. Sedated. As if a child had mixed several colors together while fingerpainting and mom, wanting to praise the work (while thinking “Ewww”), declares: “What a beautiful color! Let’s call it rose gold!”

I realize I have just alienated all you Rose Gold fans....but hear me out. If you like it, TERRIFIC. I’m happy you found something that makes YOU happy! Different preferences make the world go ‘round. And obviously I am in the minority, as you will find out later.

I carefully took off the ears and placed them back on the display (where I am sure they did not remain for long!)

(Side note ~ I saw a group of friends wearing them with shirts that said:
It’s the Most Wonderful Time
To Wear Ears

How very clever!)

Since Woody took a picture of me I decided to return the favor.
View attachment 260189
He knows how to pull off a ball cap! (But it would have been hilarious to see him in Mouse ears!)

Before we exited the park I remembered another picture I needed taken.
View attachment 260190
The countdown!
For what it's worth, I think you look fantastic in Minnie Ears...don't know what your family is talking about. And I'm with you on the Rose Gold...not my thing. But, I know most people LOVE them, so go for it! I'm also in the minority...I don't like pineapple and have never had a dole whip, nor do I plan to ever try it. More for the rest of you who love it! I'm one less (fewer) person to compete with.

fractal

We picked up our carry-ons from Bell Services before riding the elevator to the 7th floor. The rooms on this floor have a partial vaulted ceiling which adds character.

View attachment 260245

Our welcome packet was waiting for us on a bed along with a special treat.
View attachment 260244

Chocolate from the Ganachery in Disney Springs.
View attachment 260247
Inside the package were 4 chocolate bars sporting Mickey and friends as a totem pole. (Forgot to take a pic!)
I did not open the box until we got home. I was saving it because it had to be good chocolate, since it came from the pricey Ganachery.

It was not good chocolate. In fact, it tasted almost stale. After two bites I was done. Woody and Em also tried some and were not overly impressed. I threw the rest in the trash.

Club guests receive a plethora of toiletries.
View attachment 260246

My favorite is the foot cream! So soothing after a long day at the parks. I have also taken a liking to the Oasis Hydrating Cream, pictured above.
View attachment 260248

But enough about the in-room amenities. Let’s talk VIEW, baby!

Watching the monorail go through the Contemporary is fun!
View attachment 260243

Nice to see the completed cabins. Woody noticed that each one is painted differently, giving them personality (unlike the awful Poly bungalows.)
View attachment 260242

Oh, what could this be?
View attachment 260241
Yeah, no need to go to the lounge observation deck to watch the fireworks. Our balcony will do quite nicely, thank you.

What a view!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
My husband had to have the rose gold iPhone when they came out. I still tease him about his pink phone. But in his defense I think he thought it would be more gold and less pink. But how I love asking him if I can use his pink phone :happy:
Real men embrace pink. 😉

For what it's worth, I think you look fantastic in Minnie Ears...don't know what your family is talking about. And I'm with you on the Rose Gold...not my thing. But, I know most people LOVE them, so go for it! I'm also in the minority...I don't like pineapple and have never had a dole whip, nor do I plan to ever try it. More for the rest of you who love it! I'm one less (fewer) person to compete with.
You’re sweet, @Songbird76 :happy:

What a view!!
I was pleased. :joyfull:

@Gabe1 ~ I too miss the giant Mickey wreath on the Contemporary. It was most spectacular when illuminated at night!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Before leaving for dinner, Woody and I popped into our room to get our jackets.
We also stepped outside to take in the sunset view.

83565A32-498C-46FE-9915-5E2D098F1B73.jpeg

Shirley had called ahead for a private bus ride.
F0795657-B3AE-483D-9D04-16F83E9F2148.jpeg

If it hadn’t been so stinkin’ cold, we would have taken a boat to our destination. But we’ve been on those small boats traversing Bay Lake when the wind chill dips to freezing and it is NOT FUN!

Who’s up for a little Hoop Dee Do?
5224EA57-66B7-4FF6-AF84-8AB4DF9F1B06.jpeg

Not us....at least not tonight.

Here?
4F0CFAEC-661E-48C8-8F42-D9440558B5B8.jpeg

B06D5E88-C509-4865-A75D-0C2165308616.jpeg

Only if we were staying at the campground, since this quick serve is take-out only.
(I took the above pics during a reconnaissance mission for @dryerlintfan 😉)

Tonight we were dining at:
E8D9F2B8-8AF6-471C-B6F3-9A9DE148767C.jpeg

Woody and I were meeting our friends M and K who live locally. They were waiting on the porch for us when we arrived. After quick hello hugs, I checked us in.

972BAD8C-B88F-4BE5-887B-D208B930B229.jpeg

We always enjoy our meals at Trail’s End, which features a buffet of home-style comfort food. And although the price has creeped up in recent years, it is still the cheapest buffet on Disney property. We only waited a couple minutes before our pager buzzed.

This is the bar.
5A5D0069-127B-40ED-94E0-16A42A124496.jpeg

And this is the dining room.
E33FA2EA-6EDF-440E-8EDA-1C6FEB30A9F5.jpeg

Simple, no-frills, come-as-you-are vibe. The servers are friendly and quick to refill beverages and take away dirty plates. I don’t understand the logic of tipping less at a restaurant because it’s “a buffet.” The servers work just as hard and frequent a table as much (if not more) than a non-buffet restaurant.

More pics to follow!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Counter-clockwise from right: salad bar, vegetables, meats (and a carving station)
DCDA6C87-DB24-43CA-90FF-6DCE95A94E2A.jpeg

C97346A6-0257-45F1-948A-5CBA2BA8EB42.jpeg

11FA9A0B-5210-4F16-A317-090C5265ACEF.jpeg

4B3D18D6-CE4A-4BE4-8179-CB8C4CBA9C1C.jpeg

If you leave hungry it’s your own fault!

The fried chicken and bbq ribs are the same as served at Hoop Dee Doo. Beef brisket was on the carving board and it was chock full of moist, tender, smoky goodness! Trail’s End has the BEST chili ~ I could eat only that and leave a happy camper. There is also a baked potato bar, cornbread and fluffy white rolls.

32E4B6E1-73D7-4FE7-9B3B-09821D5EA2EA.jpeg

Over a leisurely couple of hours, we ate and talked...and ate and talked. Of course we made sure to save some room for dessert!

DCDD9BA2-2F81-45EC-A59F-509EDB149978.jpeg

EA8B9AD8-D2C2-4C4F-9026-5E1364A4C951.jpeg

And I didn’t even get a picture of the make-your-own-sundae station!

This was my plate. I am not ashamed.
FC22F07B-07F6-47A9-8292-86058CA48B02.jpeg

The strawberry shortcake is the same as Hoop Dee Doo’s too. It was delish. My favorite dessert was the peppermint chocolate chip bar....if I could have smuggled a plateful of them outta there I would have!

Typically after dining at Trail’s End during the holidays, we take a walk and admire the decorated campsites. However it was a cold night and we could not see any lights or inflatables in the section closest to Trail’s End. So we said goodbye to our friends and caught the bus back to the Lodge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom