Creations Shop opening this summer

ToTBellHop

Regarding Mickey

It is ironic that at one time Imagineering was dead set against any Mickey in EPCOT, and now, imagineers are stuffing the place (well, just this one shop, not all of EPCOT) with their own handcrafted Mickeys.

But I firmly believe this doubling down on Mickey is because of copyright protections about to expire. Disney will need to make a case to Congress to extend the protection or create carve-outs for characters still being used in novel and profitable ways. That is why we have new Mickey shorts and series and attractions and shops and novel uses of the character.
Is this why they are working on Mickey-branded birth control?

gerarar

Premium Member
I do like the ceiling,,, but aside from that this looks like nothing more than a giant Old Navy, the generic mannequins, no creative window displays,,nothing. Disney is no longer disney anymore sadly......Im sure the hordes of people will subside fairly quick.
This more looks like a Uniqlo than an Old Navy imo, haha. Never seen the latter as sleek and modern anywhere.

James Alucobond

okay that works too lol, I agree.
This store, no matter the name or incarnation, has always looked like contemporary retail. I don't see the problem with that in the context of EPCOT or what was particularly special about the original when the only thing that stuck out in my memory about it was a spinning Figment whirligig with rope lights strapped to it circling a basic point of sale display.

If the Main Street Confectionery ends up looking like this, then you'll have my sword.

OG Runner

Can they not ban these scalpers. Most are probably AP holders anyway and surely they would be able to track it from the discount used?

I really do not think Disney cares. They have sold the products at the price they set, even with the discount.
What do they care if someone else sells the same item for twice as much. They got their pound.

SorcererDonald16

The fact that Disney hasn't made most of this stuff available on line to prevent these morons from scalping is surprising. Of all the ways disney can cash in they are dropping the ball on that one.
I’m holding out hope some of it will end up on ShopDisney. Of course, they will probably allow people to buy ten of each per order, and good luck buying any of the breakable things from them and having them arrive in tact. Their shipping warehouses are wretched and employ people who constantly toss parks ornaments loose in the shipping boxes with little or no protection. And then there was that one time I got a parks mug shipped to me without a handle. :banghead:

The resellers are out of control IMO partly because Disney allows it (I will never forget when not that long ago they allowed infants to “buy” 2 each of limited pins or products :cautious:) and partly because so many like myself can’t travel/don’t feel comfortable with travel right now, so it’s buying from resellers or getting nothing if ShopDisney doesn’t sell it. With a few exceptions, I just do without. I don’t want to encourage this. Add in social media hype for more and more of the stuff, and then the fact that Disney refuses to restart mail order. That is definitely not helping things either. At least the people working in that department (in my experience, at least) always knew how to properly pack things for safe shipping.

ImperfectPixie

I really do not think Disney cares. They have sold the products at the price they set, even with the discount.
What do they care if someone else sells the same item for twice as much. They got their pound.
They state clearly on the back of the AP that using the AP with the intent to resell merchandise is prohibited. They made a recent announcement about purchase limits with the intent to curb this behavior. My impression is that higher ups at corporate care, but that park management doesn't.

aladdin2007

this, its a free market after all and many here seem to forget that. Sure someone may not like it but no one is forcing someone to buy it at a higher price. After selling some of my own personal items on platforms etc, I can see why the markups are so high, the platforms get nearly 30% of a sale on selling price and shipping prices, plus taxes etc and the list goes on.

OG Runner

This store, no matter the name or incarnation, has always looked like contemporary retail. I don't see the problem with that in the context of EPCOT or what was particularly special about the original when the only thing that stuck out in my memory about it was a spinning Figment whirligig with rope lights strapped to it circling a basic point of sale display.

If the Main Street Confectionery ends up looking like this, then you'll have my sword.

Remember this is EPCOT. This is the future of shopping. 😃

SorcererDonald16

Lip service. They don’t care. Enforcing limits and banning offenders would show they actually care, and they don’t do either.
They did strip a bunch of Disneyland AP holders of their APs for reselling I want to say around spring or summer 2019, effective for one year.

I unfortunately never heard of the same happening in WDW.

OG Runner

They care a bit. Otherwise they wouldn’t have the 2 limit on each item

Yeah a very little bit. Look to see how many of the limited items being sold are available on Ebay, for much higher prices.
When Galaxy's Edge opened I remember seeing a Coke bottle, with galactic writing on it for $9.00.

doctornick

Without being snarky, why would Disney really care all that much? I think the biggest issue is that they wouldn't want APers to use their discount to buy lots of items. So, I am surprised they don't crack down more on that.

But if someone isn't using a discount, why doesn't it really matter to Disney if one person buys 50 of a limited item or if 50 different people buy them? I get it from a standpoint of being "fair" but I'm not sure the company care beyond lip service. Especially the boots on the ground that don't want to deal with irate customers arguing with them.

SorcererDonald16

This is fine to me. A parent may be starting a pin collection for a child not yet old enough to apparently want the product.
I do know some parents who start massive collections of other things for their children from or before birth. I personally don’t understand it, but to each their own.

But the times I witnessed the infants “buying” limited things in WDW first hand over the years were very unlikely for the infant. I would almost always either see the parents hopping on eBay on their phones or hear them bragging about reselling it all. Disney Stores even eventually intervened with limited doll sales after awhile and made a rule that you had to be I think 17 to buy one in person (which was an over correction IMO, but anyway).

WDW just doesn’t seem to care about it otherwise. Anything to prevent stock from ending up at the outlets.

I feel really badly for these CMs today. It’s just stuff, and the cast are human beings. Let them do their jobs. Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom