Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Brer Panther

Thankfully he cheaped out long enough that Inside Out is out into long term memory.
Actually, the idea was canned after Pete Docter rejected it. He didn't want Figment to be removed again. Remember those surveys about Figment? They were orchestrated by him to show them that people still love Figment.
I'll take this crappy version of Figment for another 5 years if it means we get to keep him long term. Better of course if we get the Dreamfinder back
Word.

pdude81

Actually, the idea was canned after Pete Docter rejected it. He didn't want Figment to be removed again. Remember those surveys about Figment? They were orchestrated by him to show them that people still love Figment.

Word.
I have heard that and I give him credit, but Pete Docter is also reportedly responsible for that idea in the first place. I was hunting around for more information about this recently and found this article from before the movie came out, where Pete and another producer are being inerviewed. Clearly the other producer had no idea Imagination was it's own pavilion or that this ride would have worked well in WoL had they not tried to go all Dave and Busters on that instead.

I remember there being some chatter about the Inside Out presence to move over to Magic Eye and save Figment after he got involved, but that would be sort of a half-measure anyway. I think Imagination costs very little to run and maintain, especially with seasonal hours, and it allowed that ride to limp along until the point where the children of the 80s are back with their nostalgia money.

James Alucobond

I really hate the whole idea of a "Disney Shorts" theater show at EPCOT...or any park. It is the laziest possible thing...and after the continued price increases and lack of capacity for my money, I don't want to sit in a theater and see the shorts I already watch at home on Disney+
They need to just build some attractions already... Remy is a good start. Cancelling Mary Poppins, Coco and others are tragic. All of the money spent on demolishing Communicore would have been better spent in actual new attractions that would improve the guest experience...I am not paying over a hundred dollars a day plus the Genie assistant cost to watch a placeholder movie or walk through an empty football field length park... They are already about 15 years late on any sort of meaningful expansion to this park...
It has a unique 4D-lite intro experience with Mickey and friends and is a pleasant, bite-sized bit of entertainment in air conditioning that probably eats more crowds than any of the CircleVision films at the World Showcase pavilions. I see no reason to get rid of it.

Cmdr_Crimson

It has a unique 4D-lite intro experience with Mickey and friends and is a pleasant, bite-sized bit of entertainment in air conditioning that probably eats more crowds than any of the CircleVision films at the World Showcase pavilions. I see no reason to get rid of it.
Honey I Shrunk The Audience had way more crowds and it was always fun to hear the audience in the theater from the preshow area screaming in terror due to the Mice and Gigabyte attacking the audience..I would rather have this back than the snooze fest of shorts I can watch literally online..

James Alucobond

Honey I Shrunk The Audience had way more crowds and it was always fun to hear the audience in the theater from the preshow area screaming in terror due to the Mice and Gigabyte attacking the audience..I would rather have this back than the snooze fest of shorts I can watch literally online..
The suggestion from a page ago was to replace it in Imagination with something more bespoke and move the Pixar film festival to PLAY! to give it some additional sit-down content. I don't see a problem with that. I feel the film festival still occupies a unique niche in the park because, unlike so many attractions that promise they'll rotate content, Pixar actually does it. Personally, even with a Disney+ subscription (which is an incredibly recent development relative to this attraction's relevance anyway), I don't watch the shorts at home, so the film festival is always something fresh for me. I get a familiar intro followed by something new. It's not terribly unlike Philharmagic except that they actually update it.

The Grand Inquisitor

Plus they are getting a Honey I shrunk the kids sequel. Bob loves IP synergy

Homemade Imagineering

At this point, I’d say we’ve seen enough evidence of Figment’s future at Epcot. It is clear he will be staying in some form or another, yet I must question to what capacity. Obviously spending within the parks seems to be a thing of the past, especially once the remaining ongoing construction wraps up within the park, so I doubt we’ll see anything for a very, very long time. Management probably sees the current iteration of the attraction as “good enough”, and despite that they clearly know the fans will buy up every bit of Figment merchandise. That’s clearly the way Iger saw it, and I would assume Mr. Paycheck feels the same way.

Mickeynerd17

Obviously spending within the parks seems to be a thing of the past, especially once the remaining ongoing construction wraps up within the park, so I doubt we’ll see anything for a very, very long time.
The trend for EPCOT overhauls that I've been able to make out is aproximately 20 years between a major push for redos. The last time EPCOT was seriously updated was the late 90's. 20 years later we're going through it again.

If I were to guess, if Figment doesn't get a redo this time around, our next best chance would be in the 2040s, 30's if we're lucky. Once that big push happens again Imagineering's view on the park's direction could completely change.

Thing is, I seriously doubt the ride itself could even last to the '30s. It's so old the ride would probably just quit by then. Whatever happens though, the current ride will one day close, and if we get Dreamfinder back, I wouldn't expect a carbon copy of the original. That would just be an appeal to fans and not a sign of new creativity. Old elements with a new (but no less quality) presentation is the way to go.

pdude81

The trend for EPCOT overhauls that I've been able to make out is aproximately 20 years between a major push for redos. The last time EPCOT was seriously updated was the late 90's. 20 years later we're going through it again.

If I were to guess, if Figment doesn't get a redo this time around, our next best chance would be in the 2040s, 30's if we're lucky. Once that big push happens again Imagineering's view on the park's direction could completely change.

Thing is, I seriously doubt the ride itself could even last to the '30s. It's so old the ride would probably just quit by then. Whatever happens though, the current ride will one day close, and if we get Dreamfinder back, I wouldn't expect a carbon copy of the original. That would just be an appeal to fans and not a sign of new creativity. Old elements with a new (but no less quality) presentation is the way to go.
I'd think a trend requires multiple data points.

DoleWhipDrea

I think at this point, the real question is how management plans (or more like is willing) to tackle the rest of the EPCOT makeover as a whole. So much was never announced or cancelled or "paused indefinitely" but there's still so much work that needs to be done. And it can't be completely ignored either, as they leveled so much.

Will they be willing to move onto another phase of the makeover in a few years' time? Are they hoping that the 50th will generate so much additional spending that they could start to announce things on EPCOT's 40th anniversary to keep the momentum going but take around 5 additional years to build things? Whether Disney wants to acknowledge it or not, Universal is building a brand new theme park (with a major IP) that a lot of people are excited to experience, and have been adding some really impressive new attractions over the years. Disney will have to time new attractions to stay on the playing field. They might be used to getting the most attention, but the winds are changing. Long-time fans of the Disney parks are feeling priced out and ignored, and Disney is now focused on getting their patronage from the wealthy, who overall from what I've seen turn their noses up to the very idea of going to a theme park.

Disney needs to be building brand loyalty, which honestly is something that they're not used to losing. Iger thought that the key to running Disney was to acquire as many major IPs as possible, and in terms of the parks use those new acquisitions to get more people excited to come in. He wasn't entirely wrong, but the problem was that he never seemed to make a real effort to understand what the fans of Disney and its parks actually wanted, nor what they loved about Disney and the parks in the first place.

Chapek since taking over as CEO is seemingly taking a more fiscally conservative approach, which is understandable, as his tenure has exclusively been in a pandemic. Coming from merchandising and the parks, he's definitely thinking about what upcharges can be made here and there, and what things can be cut. He doesn't seem to be tremendously supportive of live entertainment at the parks, at least not to the extent that we've seen the parks be full of in the past.

As for Josh D'Amaro, it's still a little early to know for sure how he plans to operate things as a whole. We know that he's done things to make CMs happier by actually talking and engaging with them, and unlike so many other executives has made a point of actually hanging out inside the parks and is happy to talk to fans. We know that he wants to update JII and possibly even bring back the beloved Dreamfinder, and is just asking us to give him a little more time.

Timelines are a bitter pill with Disney, but while we may bemoan how long it takes for them to just get a restaurant open, the nice thing is that they do actually like to at least announce their plans at big events to keep us excited for what's to come. Keep sharing your comments with Guest Relations, write to them, and buy that Figment merch. They're listening and they're still making plans.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

Dreamfinder will be gender flipped, younger, and more racially diverse. Figment will stay the same, but I think it’s an easy way to introduce more diversity and inclusion into the parks by changing the comparatively less popular character.

Cmdr_Crimson

Dreamfinder will be gender flipped, younger, and more racially diverse. Figment will stay the same, but I think it’s an easy way to introduce more diversity and inclusion into the parks by changing the comparatively less popular character.
They could have simply done a Disney Jr show using the name as nod to the unaired show and called it Figment's Dreamfinder's where Figment and his other friends from Figonia learn how to use your "Sparks of Inspiration" for your everyday life....Then Synergy it into the pavillion and boom...New ride with Figment not fartin in your face...

Inspired Figment

They could have simply done a Disney Jr show using the name as nod to the unaired show and called it Figment's Dreamfinder's where Figment and his other friends from Figonia learn how to use your "Sparks of Inspiration" for your everyday life....Then Synergy it into the pavillion and boom...New ride with Figment not fartin in your face...
I disagree… making Figment a mainly preschool aimed character, which will only date & make kids outgrow him when they grow up and then doing yet another take on the ride I think is a waste. I genuinely do like those shorts, ‘but’ the main product ‘should’ be the ride/pavilion. Not the show or shorts that’s spun-off it. The original got it right the first time being aimed at all ages and having a successful theme park attraction first. All it really needed was new tech & additional/enhanced spfx put in ala DL’s Great Moments with Lincoln or American Adventure, the core ride scenes & soundtrack staying the same as they were 83-98.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

IMO, that honestly sounds more pandering than anything… the characters were fine as-is and relatable to anyone regardless of race or gender. Just as say Santa Claus & his elves are. If you’re gonna bring in more characters, I say do that ala a Disney Plus series ‘after’ the ride is fixed. And if somewhat like the Dreamfinders show pitch. Have a diverse/inclusive cast of pre-teen kids included without having to change the main characters. There’s a reason they’ve stayed as popular as they have all these years without any drastic changes.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

The whole point of Journey Into Imagination, is it’s about the real-World creative process & how our sparks of inspiration effect the mediums they’re utilized in. Not neccesarily Dreamfinder & Figment as characters themselves, though they certainly fit the role of a guide & an example of a creation come to life (along with the childlike sense of curiosity & unbridled sense of discovering our creative abilities that we all share) very well to compliment that journey/creative process.

Inspired Figment

And while I know the approaches some of you brought up certainly would probably be greenlit under Chapek or Iger.. it really isn’t the way to go I think. Better to wait for better upper management that actually cares about & respects the legacy of Walt Disney & the rest of EPCOT Center. Really the free-spirited creative spirit & energy behind the company as a whole, to come in so we can get the comeback I think we’d nearly all be happy with. I have 100% faith it’ll happen. Just keep praying for the best results my friends.

Cmdr_Crimson

I disagree… making Figment a mainly preschool aimed character, which will only date & make kids outgrow him when they grow up and then doing yet another take on the ride I think is a waste. The original got it right the first time being aimed at all ages. All it really needed was new tech & additional/enhanced spfx put in ala DL’s Great Moments with Lincoln or American Adventure, the core ride scenes & soundtrack staying the same as they were 83-98.
Well, did we all outgrow Mickey?
market.jpg

Seem's to be getting more attention in Epcot than Figment..
MMousegear-mural-1.jpeg

Inspired Figment

Well, did we all outgrow Mickey?
market.jpg

Seem's to be getting more attention in Epcot than Figment..
MMousegear-mural-1.jpeg
While not exactly, depending on the generation of people you ask.. you notice Disney isn’t marketing Mickey & Friends very well either.. or atleast hasn’t since the mid-2000s and how much of the generation that grew up on ‘06-after Clubhouse era Mickey, very much sees him as that “preschool/baby cartoon I wouldn’t be caught dead watching still” character & show.. (now granted, I can’t speak for everybody.. but from who I’ve talked to around that age range.. that seems to be the case)

I could also easily argue the Paul Rudish shorts don’t do a great job at presenting Mickey in an all-age format that truly respects the integrity of Walt era Mickey. It’s very edgy and almost too adult with it’s Ren & Stimpy art direction & gross out humor. Mickey Mouse Works & House of Mouse and a number of the direct to dvd 2D Mickey films were able to capture that balance of modern & classic much better I believe… and had those efforts been marketed better, it would’ve led to Mickey continuing to stay not just an iconic corporate mascot ‘but’ a great set of characters & toons appealing to all also.

Also, on another note.. I honestly don’t think the Clubhouse/Funhouse or Paul Rudish shorts would be so bad, if it weren’t for the fact those are being marketed as the ‘mainstay’ Mickey projects rather than something more along the lines of the actual classics & Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse. That there is the main issue.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom